1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hp and win 7

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by rtrg, Sep 4, 2015.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Plese tell me how to replace 7 with Xp for an HP DC7900 desktop. I have the OEM cd for XP PRO SP3. Simple steps please in plain english. Thankls.

2. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Use This Guide:

https://tweakhound.com/xp/installxp/installXP1.htm

[​IMG] Windows XP end of support warning!

As 8th of April 2014 has passed, this Operating System is not longer supported by Microsoft.
    Any patches, updates or security releases are ceased for this System.

This is just an information for you if not aware.:rolleyes:

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

rtg, why do you want to replace win7 with xp?

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Will most probably have issues with xp on it unless it was released on earlier versions of the same computer as you'll need drivers for the hardware etc which xp most probably won't have.Better to get another pc that has dual core with xp already on it or sell the pc you have & get a quad & run xp as a virtual machine.

Create a backup image of your win 7 including any recovery partition

5. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I have 3 printers that will NOT run under WIN 7. A windows update does find my model(s) but all refuse to install despite the driver is supposed to work. I was successful doing this on an HP DC7900 ysing the included CDs. The DC6000 came without CDs. The "RESTORE PLUS" cd is model specific and a retail ms version does not work either. The alternative I came up with was to buy a SATA hdd with xp written to it. Then I can attempt to copy it using TODO BACK UP. I also bought a bi directional cable adapter that is capable of runninig a PATA drive from the boards SATA port. If this is true I can make a copy and use it in my PATA tower and attempt to copy again using that tower. For some reason neither the OEM CD nor the retail CD works. I get "FATAL ERROR" at every attempt. I boutgh a new OEM CD for the PATA tower and am hoping that will work as it has in the past. What I really need is a PATA drive with XP written to it, which I cannot find. Any advice welcome.

6. ddp

what is the make & model# of the printer? how far do you get in attempting to install win7 with those 2 disks before you get the "fatal error"?

7. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

It is an HP DC6000. The restore disc is model specific. I cannot use the cd from the 7900 for the 6000. The OS cd is the same for both. Specific files for each model. The DELL is an OPTIPLEX GX400. The OEM CDs are the ones that give me the error.

I ordered a SATA drive with XP written to it. I cannot find a PATA drive with the OS written to it. I bought a bidirectional HDD adapter that alows me to drive a PATA drive from a SATA port, or the reverse. I will attempt to copy the OS from SATA to PATA then install the drive into the DELL. From there I will attempt to copy PATA to PATA using TODO BACK UP, same app in both.

I also bought a new DELL OEM cd and a MS cd with COA both XP and 7 CDs. One of these solutions should work. I do not know for the DELL whether the mobo is faulty or the cd is not being read correctly. "cannot copy file" is another error. I did not skip the file because if I skip to many yhe OS might not work or even install.

8. ddp

is it an officejet 6000 printer?

9. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

No the towers in question are a 6000 pro and a 7900 pro. Both came with win 7. 79 came with the 2 cd set for loading xp, 6000 did not. I loaded xp onto the 7900 using the 2 cd set included. Then I copied it to the other SATA drive using TODO BACK UP in the 7900, then moved it back to the 600. A nice workaround. I bought more drives pre loaded with xp for the SATA desktops. A bidirectional adapter for SATA/PATA. Will make another copy to go back into my DELL PATA then make copies again using TODO in the DELL. I think all my spare hdds are bad. More OEM CDs coming as an alternative. I hope this adapter works because I do not have a loaded working PATA to copy from. I cannot find one of any size. I hope this works. Feel free to ask in a couple of weeks.

10. ddp

I asked before what is the make & model# of the printers to see what drivers there are.

11. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

3 printers at hand, BROTHER HL1240, HP D155, HP T65, all predate win 7 and xp, and probably VISTA as well. Both the BROTHER and HP sites do not have drivers for them to run under 7, which is why I downgraded to XP which I have been using for years. The non support is of no concern. All 3 work fine under XP. If you can find a source of working drivers for 7 I might go back. The HP site no longer has a download link for the D and T. Same for brother.

12. ddp