1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP DC5000 DVD Movie Writer

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by tyrs4u, Feb 12, 2005.

1. tyrs4u

tyrs4u Member

I recently purchased this burner for my little sister & she was so stoked & already purchased DVD's, so they were opened & now the store will not take them back.

The problem is that the HP DC5000 DVD Movie Writer will only Burn on HP CD's & Sony CD's??? Or so the HP Tech informed us, & on other BB’s I've noticed that this Drive is limited to those two kinds of CD's.

Now does anyone know of a way to get that burner to Burn any DVD/Rom, when we put a blank disc in the drive it says CD is not recognizable? Because HP & SONY DVD’s are boo-coo-bucks….sigh..

I’ve heard of ways to change the Firmware on drives so that they can play other regions & ways for some Burners to burn any brand of DVD’s & CDR’s…??
    Is this true? & has anyone heard of one for this drive?
    Thanks..

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

moved. Post in the right forum next time.

3. tyrs4u

tyrs4u Member

So far the burner rockz, but sadly I can still only burn HP or Sony CD's... sigh... Any help?

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I don't think your burner blanks have to be a certain brand but they do need to be the proper format, either +R or -R format. Check the owners manual to see what the right format is. HP internal burner drives for a long time were +R burners only. Just within the last few months they started making their drives for both formats. I'm guessing that DC5000 is maybe a stand alone burner so I'm not sure about it. You can find good prices on blank media on line at places like Meritline.com, Newegg.com, and Supermediastore.com. Some usually sell sample packs of different brands so you can test burn a few and see what your burner likes best.

Jerry