1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP DVD+R Combo Drive Problem

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by TMcCallie, Apr 12, 2004.

1. TMcCallie

TMcCallie Regular member

My above drive will not read a rewriteable disc. I have tried HP, Imation, Maxell with no results.

I can write to the disc originally but when I go to write over it it says it is not blank and asks me if I want to erase. I say yes and it still reports the disc as not blank.

The disc will rewrite in my son's computer so I don't think it is the disc. I think something is maybe set wrong in my drive.

Can anyone help?

I have used Record Now which came with the drive, Nero Ultra which I have on my computer in additon to Record Now.

TMcCallie TGMcCallie@comcast.net

2. TMcCallie

TMcCallie Regular member

I forgot to mention, I can write to DVD+R disc but not rewrite to DVD+r RW

3. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi TMcCallie
    How was the disc written - with which program. I suspect the disc was written using HP's DLA (direct to disc). If so you will need to use the DLA to reset to non DLA.

I hope this helps

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

You may also need to update your drives firmware from HP's site. They usually need an update straight out of the box.

Jerry

5. TMcCallie

TMcCallie Regular member

It was written with the HP burner while DLA was active. I later deleted DLA from my computer and now I guess that is the problem.

Should I reinstall DLA and see if it will read it?

The reason I deleted DLA was trying to make DVD XCopy Plantnium work. DVD XCopy Platnium stil will not work.

6. TMcCallie

TMcCallie Regular member

There is no firmware update. The one that came with the software or burner 1.25 is the only one available.

7. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi TMcCallie
    Which burner do you have 200 / 300 / 400 / 420
    How did you remove the DLA from the system.
    Can the disc be erased in your son's computer
    Have you installed Nero's InCD (it is the same as DLA)
    Also remove DVD XCopy Platinum and see what happens
    There is a conflict somewhere. Now to find it
    I hope this helps

8. TMcCallie

TMcCallie Regular member

HP 300n

I instsalled DLA through the Add and Delete Programs in the control panel.

I only have Nero 6.0 Ultra
    and Record Now.

I don't have the other program you mentioned.

Yes the disc will erase in my son's computer and also write to it, but burner still does not recognize it as a written disc in Record Now or Nero.

When I try to check info on disc useing Nero I get No disc in drive message. That indicates to me that it does not recognize it as even being thre.

Would it help if I used my son's computer to reformat the disc?

Tom

I have another burner ordered NEC ND-2500A whichis 8X and suppose to be the latest thing out from NEC. I am going to remove my HP and replace it with this one.

Do you think that I could help the problem by deleting the software that came with my burner and reinstalling it?

9. TMcCallie

TMcCallie Regular member

Do you think now that I have deleted DLA I could try writing another RW disc and see if I can then re rewrite it?

I just hate to ruin another rewrite disc as you know they cost about 8.00 each.

10. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi TMcCallie
    The firmware update can be found here - http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_searc...ex.jhtml?lc=en&softitem=dv-19294-1&sw_lang=en
    As long as your son's machine does not have a packet software writer - DLA - InCD - reformat the disc on your son's machine
    Yes I would remove and reinstall the burner software. After reinstalling I would then uninstall the DLA part of the software.
    The other way to correct the problem would be to use XP's system restore. Depending on when you installed the burner and the programs you have installed since will influence this decision.
    If a disc is formatted with DLA it is only recognized in DLA. That is way Nero and Record Now do not see the disc. Reformatting it non DLA will fix this.
    See this link for other info http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=bph07940&cc=us
    I hope this helps

11. TMcCallie

TMcCallie Regular member

I went to the site you pointed me to. Downloaded the Firmtype 3.0 exactly as it told me to.

Now the drive will not recognize nothing. Not even a bought DVD Movie.

How in the heck do I reinstall Firmware 1.25 as I think the 3.0 has completely screwed up my drive.

I even reinstalled the software that came with the drive but it still says the drive has firmware 3.0 and still will not work.

Power DVD will not even recognize the drive now.

HELP

12. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Try going into the device manager, remove your drive from the list. Then reboot and let windows reinstall the drive.
    That might help. I don't know if you can go backwards on a HP firmware. It will probably tell you the one installed is newer that the one you are trying to install and abort.
    You might want to download it again to make sure the download wasn't corrupt and re-install the new firmware. You aren't running that drive EXTERNAL are you?

Jerry

Last edited: Apr 17, 2004
  13. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi TMcCallie
    Something is not right. I just flashed my HP DVD 300n with that same firmware and after rebooting worked fine. Are you sure it is a 300n - internal drive or is it the external drive. It uses a different firmware
    See this link for identification http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=c00001838
    If the drive is external see this link for the firmware http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_searc...ex.jhtml?lc=en&softitem=dv-19304-1&sw_lang=en
    Also Record Now must be installed for the firmware update to work
    See this link for formating rewritables http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=c00005385
    Let me know what happens

Last edited: Apr 17, 2004
  14. TMcCallie

TMcCallie Regular member

My burner is definitely HP DVD Writer DVD 300i. This information is on the front of the drive tray.

I had Record Now loaded on my computer along with Nero 6.0 Ultra when this firmware was downloaded and installed.

I am able to make a CD useing this drive with Music Match Jukebox but not with Record Now 4.56.

This seems to tell me that there may be a problem in Record Now. Do you know where I can update to a later version since my HP software with this drive comes with 4.56?

I have Record Now Max version 4.5. Do you think this will be a better version to use. If so I can uninstall Record Now 4.56 and install Record Now Max 4.5

Thanks

15. TMcCallie

TMcCallie Regular member

I have checked in Device manager and the following is the settings under:
    IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
    Primary is set to DMA If applicable and the Current setting shows : Ultra DMA Mode 5
    Secondary is set to DMA If applicable and the Current settings shows:
    Device 0 current setting: Multri-Word DMA Mode 2
    Device 1 current setting: Ultra DMA Mode 2

Does this help you in figuring out what is wrong?

16. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi TMcCallie
    After upgrading the firmware, you rebooted, when you returned to windows did the the update say it was successful.
    I still believe we have a conflict somewhere. It may be necessary to remove DVD X Copy platinum - Nero - Record Now - HP's burner software and start over again.

What is your computer system and operating system
    I have gardening to do this afternoon but will follow up tonight

17. TMcCallie

TMcCallie Regular member

Yes it did say the update was successful.
    Question. On the updates I notice that it has downloads for 300c and 300n. I think I downloaded 300c should I have downloaded 300n.?

18. TMcCallie

TMcCallie Regular member

I have HP Pavilion 7975 2.0 Intel Processor
    IE 6.0 all updates
    Windows XP Home all updates

I have a Phillips CD Writer that came with my HP and after I did this, I now can not burn a Music CD useing Record Now BUT I can burn it useing Music Match Jukebox.

Does this tell you anything?

19. TMcCallie

TMcCallie Regular member

I am sorry......The file I updated is DVD 300n_300 so I did download the correct update according to you link.

20. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi TMcCallie
    Could you please list all the burner related software that is on the machine and software that you have tried and removed. We need to resolve the suspected conflict to make everything work again.
    Thanks