1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP DVD Writer 300n does not see DVD+R media

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by mlw52, May 5, 2004.

1. mlw52

mlw52 Member

Hello chthomson :

The Tech rep at HP told me not to use the firmware with my HP 300n drive as it was causing more problems than the initial one. He told me that ifthe drive was working correctly, it would see all the media that it was supposed to see. Does this sound right to you? All I know is that when he sent me a new drive, it recognized all the media that it was supposed to recognize. Is the 400 drive different? Thank you, I'm trying to learn all I can.
    mlw52

2. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi mlw52
    Burning a DVD is much different than burning a CD. Mind you there are similarities of the problems of the original CD burners and todays DVD burners.

From what I have learned about DVD burning, firmware plays a very important role in the success of burning any media. It reads the media code and tells the laser how it should burn this media - the write strategy.
    Therefore having the latest firmware allows for the best write strategy of the media available today.

Now a firmware update could have a bug just like any other software.
    The other problem with firmware updates is a user mistake - people who are unsure of how to update the firmware. They try it and create user error.

So far I have had success in all my firmware updates

I hope this helps

3. mlw52

mlw52 Member

Thank you chthomson:

Thank you very much for the information. I'll keep it in mind and give it a try next time I need it. Knock on wood, all is working so far. Where do you get your DVD media, the RICOHJPN001 media? Who makes it? Is there a particular manufacturer to look for? Or is this some other code or something? I've had my best luck with Fuji Film and Maxell DVD+R media so far. Does Meritline.com
    carry the RICOHJPN001 media, do you know? I'll have to check.The Ritek silver DVD+R discs I got from them record well on my drive but don't work on my Sony DVD player. They do work on my brother's and parents DVD players by Sony.Weird, my player is the same as my parents. Crazy, huh? Well...Thank you so much.

4. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

5. texassee

texassee Member

Hi CHThomas
    I have tried using Record Now, that came with the system and then I tried to load Nero that I had that came with a cd burner I bought for another PC. It just wouldn't do anything. It starts writing and almost finishes and I get "Cannot complete the CD Writing Wizard. The Files are ready to be written, but the CD was ejected from the drive" so then I try again and I get "There was an error in the writing process. The disc you have attempted to write may no longer be usable." I have tried the Mem DVD+R, Mem CD+RW & Mem CD-R and I get the same thing everytime. Any clue?

6. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

7. piern

piern Guest

I have been using the HP 300I and upgraded the firmware to HP300N. I have had excellent burning results on all DVD that I have burned as long as they are 2.4X media. It does not burn well on the 4X media. I use decrypter, dvd shrink and Nero 6 Ultra as software platforms. The question I would like to ask is that I seem to be having problems with DVD's that I burn not playing correctly on some older DVD players. It will skip segments and jump or not play at all in some segments. Has anyone else run across this problem with +R media?

Piern

8. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi piern

Two questions

1 - What media are you using

2 - Have you changed the book type from +R to DVD-Rom

I have burned over 500 discs at 4x using media code RICOHJPN01. I used Fuji, Maxell, Memorex, and Arita labels

I hope this helps

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  9. texassee

texassee Member

Thx chthomas,
    I loaded the firmware from the link u sent me and it now will burn my files, but the popup error messages contradict each other. After burning, the window that shows the status bar states it was a successful burn, which by checking the disk, it is. Then when I close that window, the same error messages that I told you about still pop up. I can close them and the burn cd checks out ok. I will check the links u sent and let u know something. Thx

10. piern

piern Guest

1. Using 2 types of media
    Sonic DVD+R 2.4X 4.7GB Bulk by shop4tech (SONDVD+R/B)
    and
    Verbatim DVD+R 1-2.4X speed

2. This is the first time that I have heard anyone mention changing the book type to DVD-ROM. However on checking it out I see that the autoselect was DVD-ROM (ISO). So that still leaves me with the problem of the chapters skipping on some older DVD players.

I am thinking of buying the Pioneer DVD 108 to replace the HP 300N but not sure if I will gain anything other than being able to burn on DVD-R media.

Anyone have any opinions on sticking with what I have or venturing into purchasing one that does - and + as well as DL?

Piern

11. piern

piern Guest

1. Using 2 types of media
    Sonic DVD+R 2.4X 4.7GB Bulk by shop4tech (SONDVD+R/B)
    and
    Verbatim DVD+R 1-2.4X speed

2. This is the first time that I have heard anyone mention changing the book type to DVD-ROM. However on checking it out I see that the autoselect was DVD-ROM (ISO). So that still leaves me with the problem of the chapters skipping on some older DVD players.

I am thinking of buying the Pioneer DVD 108 to replace the HP 300N but not sure if I will gain anything other than being able to burn on DVD-R media.

Anyone have any opinions on sticking with what I have or venturing into purchasing one that does - and + as well as DL?

Piern

12. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi piern

For a media guide please see http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

According to that guide the Sonic DVDs have lower quality media IDs. Verbatim is flavour of the day.

If you wish to find out each discs media code use DVD Identifier - http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/ Compare those IDs to the list and you may have the answer to your playback problems

See my previous post regarding the RICOHJPN01 media. I have a 300i and it does a great job burning quality + media. Discs I have burnt will even work on my friends Toshiba home DVD player and they are known for disliking burnt DVDs

As for bit setting see HP site for details http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&lc=en&cc=ca&dlc=en&softwareitem=dv-13024-1

I hope this helps

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  13. texassee

texassee Member

ChThomas,
    Thx for all your help. All my settings are on DMA. I loaded the ASPI as suggested, followed website instructions and the readme file that came w/ the file. My Record Now program doesn't work now. It has an error message stating "No compatible or rewritable devices could be found on your system. What should I do now?

14. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi texassee

Remove and reinstall Record Now

15. texassee

texassee Member

chthomas,
    I uninstalled and reinstalled record now as you suggested and it still will not recognize my devices. What should I do?

16. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi texassee

I just reread your orginal post. This computer and burner are new - about a month old. I think you have worked hard enough to make this work. It is time to take it back to where you purchased it from and have them fix it. There is a chance the burner is bad.
    I would call them ASAP, explain your problem that it won't burn and ask for a replacement.

Good Luck
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

If at first you don't succeed ...........![/small]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2004
  17. texassee

texassee Member

Thanx, CH for all your help