1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hp dvd writer 300n

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by leddog4, May 29, 2007.

1. leddog4

leddog4 Member

I am not sure if this posted in the right area not, but any help would be awesome.
    Just recently my cd/dvd rw combo drive a (hp dvd writer 300n) stopped being able to play and rip and burn dvds. however it still has the ability to play cds. I rip dvds with dvdshrink and burn with nero and have not had any problems with it before. I think that there was an error message that i should have paid more attention too that included the word "Power", and may or may not have said "power supply".
    I am beginning to think that i need a new dvd writing drive, but i would like not to have to buy one.

Any help would be much appreciated, and if there is no help, any recomendations on a new drive would be great.
    thank you

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

I think your best bet is to just buy a new drive. The HP is a bit old and only supports +R max burn 4x.
    The error you got was probably a power calibration error. Can be caused by media not supported by the firmware.
    The last firmware update was from 3/04 so finding media that will work with it can get tough. For this drive I would look for 8x or lower Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden.

Good drives to look at would be LiteOn or Pioneer. If you're in the US check out newegg
    The latest firmware is 3.20.
    If it's not up to date update the firmware to that one. May help.