1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP DVD630e burner problem with USB 2.0 connection

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by dreampkt, May 1, 2005.

1. dreampkt

dreampkt Member

I have an HP DVD writer DVD630e. I tried burning some mpeg files to Philips 8X DVD+R and twice got a message during burning that the HP DVD630e 2.0 hi-speed USB is plugged into a non-hi-speed hub and then it aborted the burning process. Do you know any reasons why this would happen? Thanks for any help.

2. usmcdi

usmcdi Member

Is this your first time using your Dvd burner? If this is your first time, you probably have a USB 1.1 port and not 2.0 you'll have to upgrade to a USB 2.0 controller card .I have the same burner and it is connected to a USB 2.0 port and burns without any problem.

3. squizzle

squizzle Active member

usmcdi is correct. You have a USB1.1 (or maybe even 1.0) port, which is not fast enough to burn a DVD through. Do you have a firewire port that you can use? That's faster than USB2.0 anyway.

4. dreampkt

dreampkt Member

It's connected to a 'Certified High Speed USB' port. It is part of the Abit KD7 motherboard. I'm pretty sure it's a USB 2.0 port. Yes, it is my first time using the burner. This is a strange problem. Do you think my burner is defective?

5. dreampkt

dreampkt Member

Oh, I do not have firewire, just the built in USB 2.0 port.

6. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I think USB1.1 and USB2.0 use different cables. Maybe you are trying to use a USB1.1 cable?

Check your BIOS. Maybe there's a setting in there for USB2.0 or something?

7. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I agree with usmcdi and squizzle it sounds like you are not hooked up to a usb 2 port. I believe this drive is not backwards compatible, meaning it does not support usb1.1 and you will need to get a card to support your drive.

8. whompus

whompus Active member

That motherboard does have usb2 build on it. You may have bad cable like mentioned here. You may also need to install the drivers for the usb2 if you got the drivers cd that comes with the motherboard. If not you should be able to download the from abit. Or google for them.

9. gonzaloa

gonzaloa Member

Hi all,

I have the same issue. I have used it before but today when I turned on the machine I saw the same error. I´m sure my motherboard perfectly works in 2.0, also I tryied it on another machine with the same results. I have a k7 in a asus a7v600-x mother board. So I decided also to test it on my laptop that has 2.0 and SAME RESULTS! Hp will have to change my burner or do something..

10. gonzaloa

gonzaloa Member

11. dreampkt

dreampkt Member

I do not agree with HP solution (using the link provided). The burner will stop burning whenever that message pops up and a waste of a DVD+R disc. I used a diiferent USB port on my computer and installed the USB 2.0 filter (from via website) and somehow the burner is working properly for 3 straight times. It's weird, but it worked.

12. gonzaloa

gonzaloa Member

That's are excellent news. I will try the filter too and let you know.

13. ChessGuy

ChessGuy Member

I have exactly the same problem with some devices I tried to connect through an USB 2.0 connection (yes, it is an USB 2.0 ;)), namely a scanner and two pen-drives. The error I get is the error shown on the HP web.
    I reinstalled Windows XP to no avail. When I try to load the drivers included with the mainboard (ASUS) it says the drivers have been loaded with the SP1 of WXP.
    I would like to try the filter you are talking about: where can I find it? On which page?
    Thanks a lot

14. dreampkt

dreampkt Member

The filter was part of the included driver installation program for my via chipset. I think I got it from via website.

15. ChessGuy

ChessGuy Member

Thank you!

16. ke6iyc

ke6iyc Member

Hey all,

I have one of these drives running on a USB 1.1 on a PowerBook G4 667, running OS X 10.4.1, and have had NO issues whatsoever.

Good luck,

Brian