1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP PAVILION ZD8000 CHECKERED DISPLAY PROBLEM

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by skhanz, Mar 26, 2007.

1. 02specv

02specv Guest

my ZV6233nr developed the same problem, started as a vertical blue line on the left side of the screen. then turned into an intermittent garbled mess.sometimes the machine locks when starting up because of the display problem. but like i said it does it most, but not all of the time. ive taken the monitor apart and re-seated the connector, ive taken the top of the keyboard off and reseated the connector to the motherboard. it drives me crazy because the machine is great otherwise! i tried HP's online support and after an hour chatting she figured out the comp was out of warranty! the comp is 2 years old. i notice all the complaint was the ZD series, but has anyone with ZV's had this problem? and i guess that the motherboard is the culprit? any advice would be awesome.
    thanks

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Garbled mess on the screen suggests faulty graphics card more than faulty display, but it depends on the pattern. It wouldn't surprise me if it is indeed related to this issue.

3. 02specv

02specv Guest

it looks like a waterfall almost, not a very technical way of describing. but hey! sometimes if you fold the monitor or swing it back and forth as it starts you can fix it. but not always.

4. steve_ed

steve_ed Member

I just received my zd8000 back from HP after a third annual main board replacement. Always the same problem--video checkerboard display eventually going all white or black. I've argued with HP every year that they have not lived up to the warranty agreement. In other words, they have not repaired my system. I maintain that they have merely replaced a flawed main board with another flawed main board and that the same problem will reoccur in 10-12 months as it has for 3 years now. The HP case manager said, and I quote, "If you received the system back from repairs in working order then HP has met its obligation." He also said that 10-12 months of functionality is adequate as far as HP is concerned. I told him goodbye. I just ordered a Lenovo T61. I'm done with this. Best of luck to you all.

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

You should send them a copy of this thread; i'm sat here using my trusty 3yr old ZE2000, (touch wood) it's been virtually faultless since day one, sure glad i didn't buy a ZD8000...

6. thanki

thanki Member

If there's a problem with the video card then why when I plug in an external monitor it looks perfect.

I currently have 40 lines and a massive chunk of the screen is black.

Still use the machine to host virtual machines and only connect to it via remote desktop.

This is an LCD problem because the heat generated from the unit has nowhere to escape except the keyboard. Keep that lid closed when its left on and your doomed.

Thats my theory!

I was sucked in by the idea of replacing my desktop and now i'm feeling completely shafted.

sorry to rant but i am really anoyed

7. bryntowns

bryntowns Member

It's not the graphics card if the external monitor works - it's definitely the screen.

Have a look back at my earlier posting - you can buy and fit a screen yourself and get a cooling station - both affordable and you will probably get another year to 18 months out of the laptop (hopefully more if the cooling station does its job properly).

I am also wondering whether fords42 had any luck with BBC Watchdog?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Agreed, the pattern only usually exists on the screen if there's a fault with either, but if the graphics card's faulty it won't power up an external monitor at all.

9. 02specv

02specv Guest

i checked the device manager and it said the video card was fine, but i guess thats not a foolproof way of doing it. still pisses me off though.
    i actually bought a Toshiba satellite on sale because i was worried that the HP would die at any time.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nah I too think it's the screen, but that box can only really tell you if there's a problem with the drivers. Hardware faults will never register on it.

11. 02specv

02specv Guest

how can i get just the screen? its an LG screen. ive been trying to find just an upper to no avail. i will say though, after the terrible customer service from HP. i wont buy another.

12. TechnoRaj

TechnoRaj Member

Hi,

The way to tell if the problem is video chip related is to connect the laptop to an external screen. If you see the same fault on the external screen then the problem is with the video chip. Faulty LCD panels usually give verticle lines or blocks right from the top to bottom.

***link removed by loco***

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008