1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP SBW-081 drive isn't burning properly

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by nabakov86, Oct 25, 2003.

1. nabakov86

nabakov86 Member

Hi,

Recently my cdr drive has been failing when burning audio or data cds. The error message usually reads that there is a problem with the CD, but I have tried a couple different media types, all with the same result. If the burn process completes, there is usually a visible gap on the media that prevents it from being played or read properly. I have tried several different programs, including Nero, RecordNow, and Alcohol, but all seem to produce the same result. I'm assuming that the problem is with my burner, but I just wanted to make sure that there isn't something I can do to fix it, or clean it before I have to take it in to be serviced. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. Time/money spent on servicing a CD burner is more than enough to buy a new burner
    2. What make/model of burner do you have?
    3. What burning program did you use?

To determine your make and model of your optical drives; if you happen to have Nero Infotools installed, start it up and under the Drive tab, it will list all the relevant specifications and capabilities of your burner. The actual name of your burner is listed in the drop-down box at the top (those numbers before the name of your burner are important too!). You can get InfoTools from http://www.cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/nero_info_tool.cfm

3. nabakov86

nabakov86 Member

Got info tools. It says [1:0] D:\QSI DVD/CDRW SBW-081.

I tried using several different burning programs: nero, recordnow, and alcohol, and all seemed to have the same problem. I just went and bought a different brand of blank cd and i'm about to try it out. keeping fingers crossed. thank you.

4. nabakov86

nabakov86 Member

same problem with the new brand. my drive is reading cds and dvds fine, but just doesn't seem to want to burn. it's worked fine for over a year now. i suppose it just conveniently decided to stop a month after the warranty ran out.
    btw: using windows xp if that helps at all.
    thanks again.

5. WE_gen

WE_gen Member

Exactly the same problem here... Bought my notebook may 2002 and now CDs written by the QSI CD/RW drive indeed show gaps (I think it are 2 gaps in total). It seems that the gaps are on the same location on the disks each time. I use NERO and I also tried fresh installs of XP. Didn't solve the problem. I fear the worst :(

6. nabakov86

nabakov86 Member

after trying every possible solution, i called tech support yesterday, and described the problem, and they said the laser was probably gone. looks like i'll need to get a new drive.

7. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Hehe it happens.