1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTIB question

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by boutcrazy, Mar 18, 2007.

1. boutcrazy

boutcrazy Member

Once again, I will turn to the experts on AD. Brought home the Sony KD34XBR970 HDTV yesterday. I researched this purchase for months, and got great advice from AD. Thought my research was over, but now I'm banging my head against the wall on another subject - home theatre. Specifically, I'm looking at the Onkyo HT-S790. From the reviews I've read on many sites, this is a great system. However, I do have one question I can't seem to find a definite answer on: How do I determine whether or not I need to go with a system that has an upconvert DVD player or not? My current DVD player is a Sony DVP-NS55P. Pretty sure it doesn't upconvert, but I believe it is progressive scan. Another thing that is confusing is, I've read that my new TV does its own upconverting - if that be the case, then I don't really need an upconverting DVD player, right? We don't have a library of DVDs, and we rarely rent any. In fact, about the only time the player is used is to view the family videos I take from my Sony camcorder and burn to DVD. It would be nice to view those in "nearly HD" I suppose. The only other factor in the mix is, I'm on DirecTTV - getting the HD equipment installed sometime this week - no DVR or anything, just the receiver and different dish.
    Not interested in buying anything other than an HTIB - I'm in my 50s and don't need or want to "blow my windows out", nor do I want the hassle of matching up components; all I want is some good sound from HD movies on TV, and of course, being in the South, NASCAR!!
    Yeah, I know, I can't ask a simple question - I've got to write a book!!
    OK, said all that to ask, do I need to get an HTIB with an upconvert DVD player, or not?
    I really appreciate this site - so much good advice and opinions. I've used the camcorder forum, Nero forum, HDTV forum, and now, the HT forum.
    Thanks a million!
    Craig

2. david66

david66 Regular member

your answer is NO