1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question HTPC software to replace dreambox

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by Pebbleheed, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Pebbleheed

Pebbleheed Newbie

Hi,

I'm looking at building an HTPC to do what a dreambox or skybox does. I would also like it to receive tv through a standard areal and stream conent from my NAS like my WDTV currently does.

Most of the above seems easily achievable except the dreambox bit.

I was set on mediaportal but I read they don't support softcams. I suspect I need that to do the dreambox bit?

Can anyone recommend a pvr software package that would support softcams and allow me to do the dreambox bit while still doing the other stuff above?

Thanks

2. megadunderhead

megadunderhead Regular member

media portal was originally designed for using in cars hacking the onboard navigation system in a vehicle to use it and not have to pay for services like gps and radio and other items

have you looked at plex it is available for Windows and Mac Os X and it streams to a lot of devices i would check it out now i would recommend using a professional version or premium version of windows 7 so you have access to media center because you can buy media center remote kits and use free software to program them for other programs but you have to have media center installed for the driver