1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/488004

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by NicHt, Mar 25, 2007.

1. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

2. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Amen brother NicHt,Amen.
    I don't know of any MoMo's that unlock with codes, do you?

3. janrocks

janrocks Guest

The only way to unlock one is to use a commercial company who have paid access to the motorola network servers.
    There is no such thing as a free unlock for one, they charge for the details..or it is possible by reflashing the software completely, again not a home job because the programs to do this also work with a connection to the server network.. An account for a connection costs one hell of a lot of money. (I know.. I work half the week in a phone repair shop)

4. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

Believe it or not, I asked the Mods and admin etc. to stickey a thread pertaining to this issue. But they don't seem to want to do anything about it. They won't even stickey this I beleive.

If you people want unlock codes so bad, when you buy your next phone, pay the extra fricken $20 to get a non-locked phone.

5. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

--double post

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  6. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Actually Jan, there are warez programs out there which can unlock Motorola GSM (Simcard) phones, I know, because I unlocked one I won from Pepsi earlier last year. Started out as a Cingular, now runs as SUNCOM. From my extensive looking online, the only way to unlock is with a USB cable and the software Scotty2_8.26_downgrader_v2 and Motorola_unlocker.
    Step one, downgrade the bootloader from 8.26 to 7.0. then run the unlock program. Due to forum rules, I can't tell you where to get it, but can point you towards a site which links to another which hosts the files in question.

7. janrocks

janrocks Guest

As a licensed business we can't use warez versions for unlocking, unfortunately. They are illegal and we get checked up on from time to time. every phone we unlock has to have an entry on the moto servers against the #imei or we get big time s#~* from trading standards.
    As you know.. we can't charge for a service and then behave in an illegal manner.. not worth the risk.
    Plus don't forget.. I'm in the UK where manufacturers sell slightly different versions and 99% of what works in the US doesn't apply here.
    The software in the phones is completely different due to different frequency allocations and radiation regulations.. there are also minor chipset differences too, but now I'm getting technical....
    The legal line is.. In the UK it costs a fortune to unlock motos.. if the service plan changes without a logged unlock entry on the servers the phone is blocked within 48 hours. (anti theft measures.. there are 380 phones stolen every day in the UK)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2007
  8. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

One advantage of living in the colonies eh? It is now legal over here to unlock your phone, due to our rebellious nature of changing cell phone companies at a moment's whim, and not wanting to buy another high end phone every six months. Over here, if a provider changes to rate plan or conditions of charges, the provider sends out a letter announcing the change, and somewhere in there is a small clause which allows you to opt out of the service without getting the early penalty for ending the contract early. Didn't realize that it was so strict over there across the pond. Thanks for the info.

9. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Yeah.. what happens mostly here is people sign up for say a 12 month service contract, paid monthly, and pretty much are given a free phone.
    I think this link says it all http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/handsets/pay_monthly/all/all ..contract
    http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/handsets/pay_as_you_go/all/all ..pay and go
    So you can see the difference in the situation.. effectively you are renting the service and phone on a contract, whereas a pay and go belongs to you. A contract phone isn't your property, though some people are stupid enough to think it is. That's why it's so strict.. how can we in a shop tell which is which with no card in it?
    I thought everybody was well aware of the ripoff Uk situation for consumers.. most euro countries call britain "treasure island" for good reason.. they can lock people into restrictive contracts, and price fix to get a vastly inflated return.

10. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Note to self, Visit, but don't live in Britania.
    Any chance of a "Thames Phone Party" to start the revolution against the phone rip-offs?

11. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

nic, i dont understand why you are so mad, its not that hard to get your phone unlocked. If you have been with your service provider for 3 months (US) then all you have to do is call them and they will unlock it for you and yes you can unlock motos with codes.

Plus, you and I both know that the noobies dont care enough to open this up and read the post, stickied or not, and it will not stop the amount of threads they open. And with that said, i will not sticky this, sorry.

I will however, do you one better and post my own sticky. Tell me if you approve :)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  12. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

OMFG
    Auslander Has now been rejected as my favorite member, and you in his stead. You are my hero xD
    It is an honor to have one of my posts stickied, and an honor to have met the most down to earth (yet inactive) staff member in aD. XD
    I was just pissed off... There is too many bloody stickies in every forum... and no one actually reads them... man... I'm contradicting myself. We should make it so you have to read every sticky and have a test on it's content to post in that particualar forum...
    XD
    I'm going to go have a cigarette or two, thanks again.

13. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

NP, it was a genuine concern and one that needed to be addressed. And i can address those concerns with my new powers :p
    Im glad im still someones hero here at aD ;)