1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HUGE Slide Show problems

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by lessram, Jul 26, 2007.

1. lessram

lessram Member

Hello,

Till some months ago I could create perfect slideshows with Nero.
    But for 2-3 months now I keep getting the same problem.
    About my recent attempts;

a 1300 picture-slideshow on one DVD9
    18 chapters, each filled with 50-150 pictures. (luckily Nero now goes over 100 pictures per chapter)
    Background Music added to it, menu added to it, slideshow-effects between each picture.
    PAL - HIGH QUALITY - 2PASS VBR
    Smart-Encoding - AUTO
    Sample Format - AUTO
    Aspect - AUTO
    Audio format - AUTO

But everytime it keeps having hickups at sudden points while playing the disc on DVD players.
    Creating the file takes 2-3 hours.... so every test takes a lot of time. (not even talking about creating the project pffftttt)

After each attempt, the disc gives hickups at a few pics of the show. So I have to start all-over again. But with the next atempt the same problem appears but at other pictures. It's always a surprise which picture it will be at each new attempt. (But on each disc it's always the same picture)

What I tried to solve;
    - 3 different PC's
    - 3 different burners
    - 6 different brands of discs
    - complete reïnstall of Nero (previous version and latest version) including cleaning up the entire PC using the cleantool and manually extra cleaning up the registry (incl. removing Nero 6.0 left overs).
    - Tried the discs on 5 different DVD players.....

Always the same.....hick ups at sudden points.

No error message.... Nero tells the disc has been burned without problems.

And the job has to be done perfectly within a month. Because it's meant to be a present for about 1,000 people (1,000 copies). For myself such a hickup would be okay, but not when it's for 1,000 persons :)

3 months ago I had the same problems with another project using 300 pictures... back then I gave up, but the recent project is very important to me.

HELP :)

Greetz
    Mars-L

2. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

3. lessram

lessram Member

Not the burning is the problem !
    As said I tried 3 PC's (all with IMO the good DMA settings)
    All have ULTRA DMA 2 or even higher, so no PIO mode.

4. CFSACKS

CFSACKS Member

Having the same problem with the newer versions that allow more than 99 slides. Would like to have this option but was forced to go back to my earlier version several times as I try the new versions as they are released. Several other problems with the newer versions too. Always forced to go back. My older reliable version has a few bugs but I work around them and at least get a working DVD with video and slide shows. I just can't put videos for the background of the menu as the menu doesn't work then. The newer versions fix that but have other problems. I keep hoping for a bug free version of Nero Vision but I doubt I will ever see it. :-(

5. lessram

lessram Member

Sorry for you (that you have the problems too), but I'm glad to hear others have the same problems, it proofs for me that my project can't be done with the recent Nero. I was already affraid that going back to Nero 6 would be the only solution.

Indeed so far none of the Nero Vision versions were perfect, they all came with problems. I'm gonna try Version 6.x and trying to find a solution for the max 100 problem. (More menu-items)

6. lessram

lessram Member

I found a (terrible) work-around.

Nero 6 gives problems with navigation in menu's
    Nero 7 has better menu navigation but the (above mentioned) hickups

So I create the slide shows in Nero 6, then import the resulting VOB files in Nero 7 and create a menu around them there.

For the moment it looks like the only solution.

7. DionBoer

DionBoer Member

I'm having exactly the same problem: switched to Nero7 because menu's were not working in Nero6, but now the slideshows which I burn don't run om my stansalone Philips DVD player (they do run flawlessly on the PC using Nero Showtime or Cyberlink PowerDVD). There are all kinds of hiccups. Apparently this is caused by a too high bit rate the slideshows get encoded with. On my Philips DVD player I see bit rates in excess of 10Mb just before a hiccup occurs. Trying to set lower bit rates in the config menu of Nero Vision doesn't work: the slidesshows it produces are still encoded with peaks higher than 10Mb. So I guess it is the codec which Nero Vision uses to encode the slideshows. Anyone has an idea how I can replace that codec ?

8. CFSACKS

CFSACKS Member

Now that we know the problem, we could contact Nero. They do respond to E-mail and they really try to help. I'll see if I can restart a correspondance that I was having with them. Of course, you guys could write to them too.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  9. CFSACKS

CFSACKS Member

I just found my last note from them and quoted the latest findings to them. Hope it works!

10. DionBoer

DionBoer Member

Also wrote to Nero to report the problem. Hope they can help (should be, since the codec used in Nero6 did not have the problem).

11. lessram

lessram Member

Found another possible cause/reason/problem: MP3 !

Yesterday (still busy with the 1300 picture-dvd.... week 6, many hours per day) one vob-file had a strange behaviour;

After playing one minute the slideshow itself (nr.19 on a disc with 21 tracks) stopped suddenly and started from its beginning again. After a full day of re-trying and the same symptom everytime, my girlfriend suddenly noticed that the (background) music is playing faster then normal. And indeed it was a little faster then the MP3 itself when playing it through winamp.

So I converted it to WAV and used the WAV-file in the slideshow and YESSSS.... the problem seems to be solved.

I hope this was the last problem I had to solve for a perfect disc....

In between I have tried several other software to do what I want, but so far only Nero gives the slideshows with music and menu's the way I want it to be. But the bugs are verrrrry irritating.

12. CFSACKS

CFSACKS Member

I have always used wav files directly ripped off of a cd as I wanted the best quality. Still have the problem with the current versions of Nero Vision and slideshows. No problem with slide shows with version 7.0.1.4b. Can't put a video as a background for a menu but other than that, I always get a working DVD. The newer versions won't import MOV files at least on my system while the older version does. I have been waiting for years for a totally working version of Vision. :-( I reallly would like to be able to have more than 99 slides in a slideshow. You will probably still have the problem on some DVD players.

13. lessram

lessram Member

Nero solved the +99 pictures by not using one chapter per picture, but 2 or even 3 per chapter. So the total amount of chapters always stay below 100.

14. CFSACKS

CFSACKS Member

Nero replied. They of course insist that the problem is some media not working on settop DVD players. I explained that I burned to an image, used 2 burners and various media and still the hesitation(s) occurred at the exact same place on each disk. I told them that I burn at 4x and had no problems like this with earlier versions of Nero Vision. I also gave them a link to this forum so they would look at the problem. They didn't look at this forum when I originally asked them to click on the link. Maybe they will now. My experience in the past is that though they may try to help, there will be no solution forthcoming. If they can duplicate the problem, fixes usually come in the next revision. Obviously they have not or have not tried to duplicate this problem.

15. DionBoer

DionBoer Member

I also tried the suggestion of converting MP3 files to WAV first, hoping to solve the problem, but... no. The hiccups seem to occur a bit less, but they are still there. And yes, all the times the bit rate indicator on my DVD player goes "in the red" >10Mb/sec bit rates.

16. CFSACKS

CFSACKS Member

Here is what they said:

Dear Mr. Sacks,

thank you for your e-mail.

The DVD has been burned correctly as long as the burning process has finished without error messages and as long as the burned DVD can be played on a computer DVD drive. Problems while playing the DVD on a standalone DVD player are likely caused by incompatible media.
    The following steps could provide a solution for this issue:

1)
    Try a lower write speed.

2)
    Try another brand of recordables:
    Try recordables from different manufacturers, such as TDK, Verbatim, Imation, Yamaha, HP,...
    Also contact the manufacturer of your recorder drive and ask for tested and recommended recordables for your recorder drive.

3)
    Upgrade the firmware of your recorder drive:

Please contact the manufacturer of the recorder in order to get the latest firmware for your recorder.
    An old firmware can cause compatibility problems as well as burn failures.
    Firmware upgrades for your recorder are provided only by the Manufacturer of your recorder. All firmware upgrades and support for upgrading your recorders firmware must be provided by either the recorder manufacturer or the OEM you purchased your recorder bundle from. We can not assist you in this, sorry.
    Legal disclaimer:
    "Nero AG is not liable for firmware updates as these updates are not offered by Nero AG. All updates are performed at ones own risk. Nero AG will not be liable for the legality of the firmware."

4)
    Do not use RW (rewritable) media as some standalone players do not recognize them. Standard DVD-R/+R media usually work best.
    5)
    Check to see if a new firmware update for the standalone player is available and if so, install it. See owners manual for details.

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best Regards,

Jens Mayer
    Nero Support

17. CFSACKS

CFSACKS Member

Here is what I said in return:

Thank you for your reply. However, when I use my older version of Nero, no problems on set top DVD players with slide shows. I burn at 4X with no errors. All my DVD's with the older versions work without problems. There is something about the newer versions and slideshows. Did you go to the forum link I sent?
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/539992/3302311-522365
    I have created slideshows with the newer versions and burned them to an image. Then I have burned the image on 2 burners on a number if different media with the problem occuring at the exact same place on all the burned DVD's. It is usually one or two spots durring the whole show. It will stop on a slide and then sometimes continue on on its own or you hit a button on the remote and it will continue. It is not like a defect in the media but rather a problem with the latter versions of Nero. Please go to the above forum link and read the problems.
    Thanks

18. lessram

lessram Member

After 6 weeks (many hours per day) I finally have a perfect slideshow. Using many work arounds (partly using Nero 6, partly using Nero 7, keep every chapter below 100 pics, only using WAVs, no movies in the buttons of the menus etc....)

The slideshow excists out of 1300 photos incl. flowovers and music. It ended up to be 5.5 GB. But I compressed it to 3GB using Recode. After that I could burn it on a Dual Layer disc including all maps containing the original pictures (also 5GB)

If I knew in front these time consuming problems would appear...... I wouldn't have accepted the job :)

I hope the problems will be solved soon, because I use this option of nero a real lot.

19. CFSACKS

CFSACKS Member

It is simpler to use Nero 7.0.1.4b. If I don't put video in the menu, I have few problems. By that I mean putting a video as a background for the menu. The menu won't function if you do. My slide shows are usually less than 200 so I split them in two if I have more than 99 slides. The one will flow into the other so usually not a problem. The only other bug I must work around is editing submenues. Until you edit something on the top level, the navagation buttons are greyed out. So I usually just switch underlining of the text of the menu on and off. Then the navigation buttons work! Ah, life with Nero.

The current problem with the latest versions probably won't be solved as they are blaming everything but the program. I have made DVD's for a long time and know when it is a media problem. I am suspicious that the sound combined with the slideshow video sometimes drives the total bitrate to go over the 10mb/sec limit for DVD's. This does not happen with my older version. The newest version won't import my mov files as the older version does. They were unable to duplicate the problem. Importing some other file types is also problematic on the newer version.

Again, life with Nero!