1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypothetical - Does the DON of a gang need to be able to fight?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by billybob, Apr 18, 2007.

1. billybob

billybob Regular member

Does the DON of a gang need to be able to fight?

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Why do i get the feeling i don't even want to know why you're asking this ?
    Btw, unless the "gang" is Italian, the word "Don" wouldn't apply anyway.
    Those terms would only be applicable if this is about the Cosa Nostra.

Here's some key wikipedia articles : Mafia Omertà Pentito

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2007
  3. billybob

billybob Regular member

Ahahaaha. Hello fiend.

I dont know why you get that feeling.

its too complicated to explain why im asking it though....

and maybe the gangs italian :p

Maybe there is no gang and it is actually hypothetical (more likely!!!)

Thanks for replying.

4. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

The answer is No. I went to the seminary with many Sicilians from Providence and Boston... in old world italian families, the youngest male becomes a priest whether he wants to or not; the eldest is groomed to take over for the old man. This is true whether their mafia or not. Believe it or not, there is much to learn from those families ... family loyalty or loyalty to the authority in your circles is extremely important to them. The head of those groups aren't the stereotype often portrayed in movies. They're usually well educated and very sophisticated; they are groomed for the job from birth and they're a "prince" in their own circles from the very start but their not "spoiled" ... in fact, its quite the opposite, their upbringing is quite strict. It's difficult to explain because its the whole environment which makes the guy ... old world italian and old world catholic all molding a particular environment in which you are raised and will spend the rest of your life. I don't claim to be an authority on this; I've just seen quite a bit of it looking in from the outside.

If you were talking about street gangs, then the answer is yes. The head of such groups are usually brighter but good fighters and have a lot of balls. They were able to break up all the street gangs in Philly a long time ago because they're not organized but rather a "territorial" bunch of street thugs gather around an alpha male.

5. billybob

billybob Regular member

Ive always been fascinated by them sort of rankings.

About the street gangs, thats interesting. I was actually thinking about street gangs, but using the italian ranking things hypothetically. Ive just noticed behaviour in school etc, and around and about....the leaders arent neccesarily good fighters. You know what i mean right gerry?

6. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Yes, I do know what you mean kiddo. When I was a kid, I was always the very center of such groups and couldn't fight my way out of a wet paper bag LOL! I was a good organizer and planner which proved to have more weight than muscle but the muscle was indeed there.

7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

let's not start using mafioso-type names for a small gang of kids. that just makes you guys seem silly.

hell, gangs seem silly. :p

8. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Edited:Im paranoid so all im gonna say is I am Italian, so i think you get the point about my family's history

9. billybob

billybob Regular member

Ahaha, nice of you too drop in auslander ;)

I said hypothetical :p

10. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

how often do people us that word literally in this type of context? very rarely :p

11. billybob

billybob Regular member

Yes. U may have a point really. I suppose another word i should have included was "Symbolically". What itrepresents

12. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Actually, there is nothing silly about gangs or "cliques". For better or worse (and they can be both), the group dynamic is a large part of the lives of most adolescents and many think a necessary experience for proper maturity because, thoughout one life, there will be both groups and individual relationships. As with everything else though, these forces of nature can be constructive or destructive.

13. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i'm differentiating between the two, ger. nothing wrong with a crowd of friends. i'm saying that it's silly for a bunch of young guys to play tough and think they're bad, and try to make a social system out of it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  14. billybob

billybob Regular member

Woah woah woah aus! That wasnt a dig at me was it?

I was NOT making any social system out of anythign, and i am certainly not playing tough!

I thought id use a different higher level scenario to get an answer to a question i was wondering about.

Yeesh...just a bit of fun. Shall i be blunt and boring next time?

15. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

you misunderstand me; that wasn't a shot at you. that was a shot at kids that go out and get together just to try to feel like they're getting away with something. i'm saying that type of crap is silly. it's only semi-related to this thread.

16. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Billyboy...Aus was not making a comment about you; I know him well enough to know that. He was commenting on the seeming foolishness of certain gourps acting "tough" as many are wont to do ... and that was my point...the very fact of its widerspead existance makes it a force to be dealt with. Again, it can be both destructive or constructive which often sets the behavioral groudwork for how a person will lead and live the rest of his/her life. In dealing with the negative behavioral aspects leading to a more destructive consequence, experts will always maintain the group dynamic as its a "natural" behavioral stage but they will change the context of of that group dynamic.

17. ireland

ireland Active member

take this ye hypothetical question and read it..

A hypothetical question is one that is answered only in terms of validity, not soundness. Thus the question is designed to make a number of assumptions, and be answered as if those assumption are true.

For example, a person may ask: Would you eat the moon, if it were made of barbecue spare ribs? This question presupposes that the moon is made of barbecue spare ribs, and asks only whether or not you would eat it. An objection based upon the composition of the moon is not an appropriate answer for the question, as that is given to be decided. Only answers such as yes, no or depends on what kind of sauce is available would be valid answers for this hypothetical question.

In law, a hypothetical question is one that comprises an imaginary situation incorporating facts about the case. A witness can then be asked to answer or to give an opinion on the question and hypothetical situation.

18. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Ireland...how antisyllogistic of you LOL! (Don't mind me, I was a theology major and full of throrughly useless knowledge LOL!)

19. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Maybe, if they need to check someone for stepping out of line the yeah. They are the leader and already did the dirt to get to the top to claim "The DON" title.

20. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

the don never does the dirty work; he just orders it.