1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I’ve managed to “lose” both CD Drives. :(

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by TheDodge, Nov 21, 2003.

1. TheDodge

TheDodge Member

Hey guys,

Basically, both my D and E drives no longer work. Whereas they were once listed under My Computer, now there is nothing. When I put a CD in the drive, nothing happens. The D drive was a DVD reader as well, and the E was a Burner.

They’re simply… missing.

I’m pretty useless with computers as it is, and I’m extremely worried. What information do you need about my computer in order to help out, and how would I retrieve it?

PS. From this website, I've just downloaded the ASPI pack just-in-case, but I haven't done anything with it yet.

Awaiting further instruction.

Thanks a bunch,

Richard

2. miguell

miguell Member

Hmm,

You might wanna check under device manager to see if you have any yellow question marks?
    If you using windows xp...
    - Click Start, click Run, and then type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotation marks).

If you don't see any yellow question marks then you may want to check the IDE cable inside the machine. Connects MB to drives, it may be loose?
    If you have got yellow question marks then try re-installing drivers.

You're probably best getting someone who knows what there doing to look at it.

Did you install anything prior to the problem? Or did it just happen on its own?

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Try this:
    1. Start --> Run --> Type devmgmt.msc
    2. Expand DVD/CD-ROM
    3. Uninstall both the drives
    4. Reboot