1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am about to break! Please tell me what I am doing wrong.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Loctus, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Loctus

Loctus Member

I am very new to dvd ripping/buring but it already seems like I need a phd degree to burn a movie.

I've done about 8 hours of research and wasted 10 of my 25 dvds and still no results.

So I am trying to rip a movie and I do it by ripping it with dvd shrink. Ok great, now I have an image file
    and I burn it wiht DVD Decrypter...result: works on my pc, I get "cannot play" on my dvd player :(

Another try: I rip the dvd to components .ifo .vob , etc files... try to burn it with nero and I get this:

"DVD-Video files reallocation failed. The resulting DVD-Video Might Be unplayable. Do you want to continue?"
    I found out that this is not fatal and it's ok to press OK, but then I get this:
    "A non critical error occured during the operation, which may result in a defective write. Do you wish to continuethe wirte anyway?"

and in the event log log
    "DVD-Video files compliance ignored"

for this error I found that on the Nero website:
    "Sometimes DVD authoring programs create non-compliant video projects.
    Important Note
    Nero can’t burn illegally ripped DVDs. Usually they loose compliance through ripping."

If I keep going, the dvd burns succesfully but still doesn't work on my dvd player.

I also tried burning with cloneDVD2, burnatonce and I tried making an Image of the component files using IfoEdit and trying to burn them... and so on.

I don't know what else to do. I read bad reviews on the type of Fujifilm media I am using, maybe I should try another brand. Maybe there is some flaw in my burning procedure... I don't know, but I spent so much time, read so many tutorials and forums that there is not much left for me to do but ask you for help.

Here is what I have:
    Lite-on 16x DVD RW 1633s
    Fujifilm, 8x DVD-r. Manufacture ID: ProdiscF01
    SONY DVP-NS775V DVD / CD / SACD™ Player (not sure about the model, but it looks like this one, i'll check it later)

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Backing up your dvds should be the easiest thing in the world to do. You're definitely over thinking it. :)

First off, the problem could very well be your media. Prodisc is not very good quality, but since the discs play in your PC but not in your stand alone, the problem might be caused by the later. Some really old dvd players have problems with backups.

I would suggest buying a 5 pack of dvd+r's, something like maxell or tdk, and giving those a try.

As far as your ripping/burning process, I would suggest following the link below to the T. It is completely reliable, prefered by many, and best of all the two proggies are freeware:
    http://forum.dvddecrypter.com/index.php?showtopic=7984

Finally, I would suggest that you google around untilyou find the official product page for your burner, and seeing if they have a media compatability list. So you know what kind of media to buy in the future.

Also, do the basics, like update your burners firmware, and read up on bitsetting. Some people with subpar dvd players say that by setting the booktype of a dvd+r to dvd-rom, the compatability goes way up. Look in to whether your burner can bitset.

Try those and see how it goes.

3. stephen3

stephen3 Member

yeah mate... i had all those problems. update your nero and dvd burner firmware definately sorts the problems out...

4. Loctus

Loctus Member

I have everything updated, nothing helps. I gave a few dvds that I burnt to my friends and guess what? They did work on their dvd players. I guess the problem is with my DVD player. The only solution I've found so far is to rip a movie, extract .avi file from the movie and then burn the .avi file into dvd with VSO DivxToDVD. This way it does work, now if it didnt' take that much time to change file compressions it would be great.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  5. offset

offset Regular member

Did I read your post right!!? You are converting your DVD files into an AVI file, then you are converting the AVI to DVD. If you are using that method, then you must love to torture yourself. Download DVD Shrink and save yourself a lot of time and agony. I use DVD Shrink to compress and Nero to burn. I never burn my movies faster than 4x, but I have read where some of the guys burn faster with no problems. Check out the tutorials here on Afterdawn, because you will find a wealth of information. Good luck...

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

OK you need help bad!!! use the first guide at this site and follow it to the "T" and you will be good to go... http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/index.html

I would beg to differ on that opinion as I have read mostly good post's about that brand and I myself have burned about 100 of those with no problems. I do however primarly use Taiyo Yudens, but there is nothing wrong with those disks..

7. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Well, I've had problems with Prodisc. I found several bad discs in the one 50 pack I bought, some impurities in the lay of the dye apparent to the naked eye. Plus it's listed as 2nd class media at digitalfaq, so it's not exactly accurate to say that "there is nothing wrong with these disks".

8. PATMANN

PATMANN Guest

To get the following programs, do a search on Google. This info took me a long time to perfect.

My System Specs
    Win XP SP2(even worked on SP1)
    P4 2.8gig
    1.5 gig of PC 3200 Memory
    120 gig HDD
    120 gig HDD(slaved)
    Pioneer DVR 108 16X16 Burner

I'm only wishing to get the main movie. None of the extra's. No deleted scenes, alternate endings, yadda yadda yadda. Only the movie

I'm Using DVD Decrypter 3.5.1.0. Go to Tools on the top, and select settings.

General Tab

Checked
    File System To Parse: Auto
    Remove Macrovision Protection
    RCE Protection Region: 1
    Check For Structure Protection
    Removal Method: Normal
    Default Destination
    Generated Automatically
    Other
    Display Max File Size Warning
    Display RCE Protection Warning
    Display Region Mismatch Warning
    Display Region Not Set Warning

File Mode Tab

Checked
    Select Files: ALL
    Stream Prtocess
    Search
    50,000 Sectors
    Options
    File Splitting
    By File
    Remove IFO/BUP RC Protection
    Remove IFO/BUP RCE Protection
    Remove IFO/PUOs
    Patch M2V Timecode(00:00:00:00)

IFO Mode Tab

Checked
    Select Main Movie PGC
    Options
    File Splitting:None
    Copy IFO File
    Remove RC Protection
    Remove RCE Protection
    Patch M2V Timecode(00:00:00:00)
    Create Additional Files
    Stream Information

ISO Read Mode Tab

Checked
    Options
    File Splitting:Auto
    DVD+RW Capacity:File System
    Create MDS File
    Remove IFO/BUP RC Protection
    Remove IFO/BUP RCE Protection

ISO Write Mode Tab

Checked
    Options
    Write Mode:Auto
    Lock Volume-Exclusive Access
    Cycle Tray Before Verify
    Layer Break (For DL Media)
    Calculate Optimal

CSS Tab

Checked
    CSS Cracking Method:
    I/O Key Exchange ->Brute Force
    CSS Detection Search Size:1k
    DeCSSPlus Key Occurences:1
    DeCSSPlus Pattern Repeat Length:14
    On Failure
    Use Key From Another File:Ask

I/O Tab

Checked
    Interface
    SPTI-Microsoft
    Transfer Length
    Automatic
    32 KB
    Buffer Size
    20MB
    Options
    Software Read Error Retries:20
    Software Write Error Retries:0

Device Tab

Checked
    Options
    Lock Tray During
    Read
    Write
    Erase
    Disable Media Change Notification
    Sort By
    Address
    Options
    Enable SpeedRead DVD (Plextor)

Registry Tab

Checked
    Shell Extensions
    AutoPlay (XP / Server 2003)
    DVD (Me / 2000 / XP / Server 2003)
    File Association
    CDR DVD IMG ISO

On The Sounds/Stream Processing/Events Tab
    Leave As Is

Now, go to mode and select "File F", your DVD Will Load up. Look to the right after it loaded up and you will see the DVD has loaded. Look for a file titles "IFO" and right below it you will see "VOB" files that equal too about 4 gigs if you select them all. Select the IFO and VOB files.

Something like this

VTS_01_0.IFO [ XX KB]<----Select
    VTS_01_0.VOB [ X,XXX KB]<----Select
    VTS_01_1.VOB [ X,XXX,XXX KB]<----Select
    VTS_01_2.VOB [ X,XXX,XXX KB]<----Select
    VTS_01_3.VOB [ X,XXX,XXX KB]<----Select
    VTS_01_4.VOB [ X,XXX,XXX KB]<----Select
    VTS_02_0.BUP [ XXX,XXX KB]<-----DO NOT SELECT
    See how i selected the IFO and the VOB's, but NOT the BUP. Some movies will have MORE VOB's to select, or LESS VOB's to select. All depends on the movie. The BUP Follows the LAST VOB. Once again, do NOT select ANY VOB's. Now here's the confusing part. SOME movies have Widescreen AND Fullscreen on a one sided DVD. You will see TWO sets of the top Diagram. Here is what I do if this happens, On the top left of the program go to Edit and Select Main Movie Files. THIS will for SURE select the movie. If you have ANY doubts, do it like that. After doing that, it will look like this:

VTS_01_0.IFO [ XX KB]<----Select
    VTS_01_0.VOB [ X,XXX KB]<----UN-SELECTED***
    VTS_01_1.VOB [ X,XXX,XXX KB]<----Select
    VTS_01_2.VOB [ X,XXX,XXX KB]<----Select
    VTS_01_3.VOB [ X,XXX,XXX KB]<----Select
    VTS_01_4.VOB [ X,XXX,XXX KB]<----Select
    \par
    I have no clue why it selects everything but the FIRST VOB. Just go back and click on IFO and drag it down to the last VOB to get this again. Remember, do NOT select the BUP file, or it will mess everything up that follows from here.

VTS_01_0.IFO [ XX KB]<----Selected
    VTS_01_0.VOB [ X,XXX KB]<----Selected
    VTS_01_1.VOB [ X,XXX,XXX KB]<----Selected
    VTS_01_2.VOB [ X,XXX,XXX KB]<----Selected
    VTS_01_3.VOB [ X,XXX,XXX KB]<----Selected
    VTS_01_4.VOB [ X,XXX,XXX KB]<----Selected

On the left side you will see "Destination", and press the little folder option "Please Select A Folder...", Select the destination of where the movie will be. Make a folder, Name it "DECRYPTER". In that folder, make another folder with the movie title(Lets call this movie "ABCDEFG"(Remember, the movie ABCDEFG is in the DECRYPTER folder).

Let the program work its magic, while its putting the movie onto your hard drive. After its done, just eject the DVD from your DVD Rom and move on to DVD Shrink.

Using DVD Shrink 3.2.0.15
    **(ONLY USE THIS IF YOU HAVE NERO BURNING ROM 6.0 OR UP INSTALLED)

Click: Edit>Prefrences

Prefrences Tab

DVD-5 (4.7GB)
    User Prefrences
    Automatically open VIDEO_TS subfolders

Preview Tab

Just Leave Setting The Way It Is, No Need To Change Anything Here

Output Files Tab
    Checked
    Remove Macrovision Protection
    Remoce P-UOPs (Prohibited User Operations).
    Remove Layer Break\par
    Split VOB Files Into 1GB Size Chunks (Recommended)

Stream Selections

Checked
    Audio Language And Coding Type:
    All Languages
    AC3 or LPCM
    Subpicture Language:
    All Languages

File I/O

Checked
    I/O Settings:
    Check RPC2 Driven Region Code When Opening A DVD
    **Burn Settings
    Enable Burning With Nero

Now that all the setting have been set, Make sure you make a folder. Name it what ever you want. Since the folder were getting our movie from after we are done with DVD Decrypter, lets name this "ABCDEFG2". THIS folder is where you will put the movie in AFTER we get done with DVD Shrink. Now, lets get started. Open DVD Shrink and click the "Re-Author" tab. Underneath the "Hard DIsk Drive(s)", select the "ABCDEFG" folder(the one you used DVD Shrink to put into).

See the "Main Movie" list, and Title 1, select that(every once in a while, there will be title 1 and title 2. Difference between it is different camera angles. I always select "1"). Double Click Title 1 and it will go into its anylizing phase. After its done anylizing, see the "Compression Settings" and the "DVD Browser" tabs? Select the "Compression Settings". This is where you can get rid of different audio(language), and Sub Pictures(Closed Captions). Best bet is to get rid of ALL Closed Captions(unless your deaf), and only have EVERY ENGLISH checked. Un-check different languages, unless you want the movie to be in that language where you can select different languages on you DVD Player. REMEMBER=only have ENGLISH checked.

NOW, on the top bar select "Back Up", a screen will pop up and under the "Select Target Folder For DVD Output Files:" put the movie in "ABCDEFG2" Folder. Make sure you have "Create VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS Subfolders" UN-CHECKED. Now, press OK and the program will do its thing.

AUTHORING THE DVD

Get a DVD Burning program, such as Easy DVD Creator, Nero 6.0.0.0+, or what ever program you have to burn DVD's, and select the "ABCDEFG2" folder. THATS where your movie is in. After your done with burning(authoring) the movie, make sure you delete "ABCDEFG" and "ABCDERF2" folders. Just wasted Hard drive space.

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

PATMANN,
    Very good instructrions :)
    My guide here http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/index.html
    is almost identical to what you wrote. So if you wanna save some time you can just reffer people to that site if you like. The only little difference is thet you back up the files in Shrink and I back mine up as an ISO.. :)

Balaam,
    Why are you refering people to an article (at digital fax) that is over 1 year old? Just do a search on the internet and you will see that most people have had good success with Prodisc media here are just a few links from here at AD
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/search/forum_search_results.cfm

Now it is possible to get a bad batch of media from some company's and I believe Prodisc used to be one of those, but I haven't heard anything negative about that brand recently. I am not going to say that Prodisc is 100% the perfect media, but there isn't any that are 100% a sure thing as everyone's system is different, but I would say Taiyo Yuden's are about 99.9% perfect.

Anyway this is a little off of the original post. So lets get back to the original post most bad media will still burn, and the problems would arise while playing the movie back. So I would highly doubt the media has anything to do with Loctus's problems anyway. Loctus just follow the guide I provided and let us know how you are doing?

10. billwebso

billwebso Guest

Have you tried just using a DVD+R? That may be all that you need to do.

11. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

Do what Balaam suggested.....look up bitsetting. As you have a Liteon burner you should be able to change the booktype to dvd-rom, which is what Hollywood movies are. You can only use +r/+rw discs. I have a 5 yr old Toshiba which won't even play burnt cds, yet it will play backup dvds with the booktype changed.

If you download DVDInfopro, which is free, you can change the booktype there. Or go to Liteon Americas.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2005
  12. Loctus

Loctus Member

billwebso, yes I've tried using DVD+R, it was CMC.

Thanks everybody for help and great tutorials. I am a college student and don't have enough time to play with it now, I'll get back to it during the weekends. Thanks again :)

13. PATMANN

PATMANN Guest

Thanks bbmayo. Took me some time to write this post up. And thanks for letting me link to yours. I will do that.