1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am getting error 16

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by soze9, Sep 15, 2007.

1. soze9

soze9 Member

Hi, I recently tried to softmod an xbox..which i've done plenty of times before. For some reason I had a problem with this particular box. So I restored everything to original state and pulled the plug to use on my other box. I forgot the five hour rule. So i'm stuck with a box that won't load dvds, cd-rw, cd-r, or games for that matter and gives me code 16. I don't have a chip available to correct it that way, and the only working computer I have on hand is a mac laptop. Is there anyway to fix this issue without the use of a pc or a chip?

What I have available:
    I do have a modded xbox with a chip inside of it but its soldered on and I don't have tools to remove it.

I have auto installer deluxe 5

Router

Ftp program and needed cords

blank discs

and a desire to fix this..

Your help is greatly appreciated

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Take a look here.

Seems fixable from what I could be bothered to read.

3. soze9

soze9 Member

Well I followed that to a tee..I took my modded boxes hdd and connected it to the retail box but now i'm getting error 05. I dont want to lose what on my 160gig hard drive...is there any way to go about this without damaging my current files?

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Rock and a hard-place comes to mind. Unfortunately, I don't know enough, if anything, about XBOX modding to be of any help.. I was merely passing through and thought of a handy (or not so in this case) link to post to you.

Sorry; wait for someone more knowledgeable.

5. deadlove

deadlove Guest

Everything is good.. You should be looking at a 160 gig unlocked drive with somewhere in it a backup folder containing an eeprom.bin file (often E:\dashboard/backups/eeprom... but not always)

Now you should have heard of XBOXHDM being an experienced softmodder? I don't know if it boots a mac, but I also haven't heard that it doesn't.. meat_shield on llamma's forums is the guy to ask about mac issues..

Grab the eeprom.bin file off the unlocked drive before anything else and put it on something like a floppy.. I don't think hdm has usb drivers.. be inventive, build the proper hdm disk with the eeprom tools in the right place( /eeprom) and scrounge up use of a trashed old pc from somewhere.. I keep a pentium2 for just this job..

I just had a thought about using your chipped box and running the cromwell linux boot bios (meand flashing it on one bank of your chip) to kick hdm into life on your modded box and locking the drive with that and xboxhdm.. Does that sound like a plan? You will need a usb keyboard which will work with the xbox.

A mac laptop isn't really a great tool when it comes to messed up softmods... What is this 5 hour rule?.. I never heard of it making a blind bit of difference how long a drive was messed up.. a failed softmod is a failed softmod.. time doesn't come into it... have you guessed it yet.. I don't like softmods that much.. unreliable and unstable, and nasty to fix without the proper tools to hand.

6. cookie257

cookie257 Member

well i had the same problem and i followed one of the tutorials chunkhead had listed to hotswap and i fixed it and you are getting error 5 because your drive is not locked and or frozen you have to change sum settings in your bios to make it so there is no auto detection and your comp wont freeze your drive and to deadlove the 5 hour rule is when u have a softmodded xbox and you unplug the xbox with no power to the wall for more then five hours you get stuck in a time loop thing. mine got messed up mainly because i tried to uninstall the softmod and it didn't work so i decided to delete sum files and it got all messed up and played games for awhile but then i unplugged my xbox for more then five hours and it wouldn't boot anything like before even though i had no dash. so i never unplug my box even though i can fix it. so in conclusion you are most likely going to need a pc to fix your hdd with xboxhdm. i hope this helps.

7. soze9

soze9 Member

The problem is I can't use a pc to fix the hard drive...and my only utensils are a laptop and a chip modded xbox..so I've tried using the modded xbox with the regular drive that's giving me error 16 and when I do that I get error 05. So pretty much im stuck..All I want is to get the unmodded box back to factory form.

8. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

You're going to have to Hotswap! See if you can use a mates old PC for an hour or something, doesn't have to be flash, even a Pentium 2 will do the trick!