1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am going to get a new ps2 want to use mod chip and HDD where should I go?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by shs4, Apr 23, 2007.

1. shs4

shs4 Member

I have a 3-year-old ps2 and I am going to get a new one. The one I have has trouble with backups (skipping and stuff) now and ps1 originals too. I want to get a slim one because it seems like it would work better than the fat ones. And because they are newer I think they would work better (Do they?).

I am going to put a modchip in it and I want to get a HDD for it as well. I am thinking a DMS4 because of the built in HDD loader.

I want to know what ps2 version is best for compatibility and longevity. What ps2 works the best and where can I get it.

Places online to buy them don't really have version information. If I were to walk in to a local Gamestop and buy a new ps2 what version would it be?

Should I just get a new laser for my old ps2, clean it out a bit and then mod that?

What HDD should I get and where should I get it from? I want as much capacity as possible but I remember reading on the ps2 HDD compatibility list that with the HDD loader program you can only use 137 GB is that a problem with a mod chip? What is most compatible and works the best because that list is long there is a lot of information there.

And I think I might want to get the HD combo thing to keep it cool and such should I worry about that? (Especially because the HD combo is only compatible with certain ps2 versions)

There are a lot of mod services I plan to mod it myself (I do have soldering experience) but are there any mod service that I can get a warranty from or not void the manufacturer warranty or any extended warranty I get?

Wow that is a lot of questions. Most of the FAQs focus on fixes for people that already have a ps2 I want to get everything I need strait before I spend money and right now after reading through some things I am very confused about these subjects. I don’t know if I have read everything I could have about this subject but after looking through FAQS here and trying to research on goggle I still feel a bit lost. If I missed something please direct me to somewhere I can find this information.

Thank you very much in advance if you can answer any of my questions.

2. e3e4520

e3e4520 Member

If you're buying new console I think you'll get a version 14, but you cannot add an HD to this (excluding USB but it's slow and not worth it). Your best bet is to get a used one, version 1-11 uses the network adapter to install the HD, version 12-13 you need a HDCombo.

Generally speaking you can use HDs more than 120GB, but I think the file system has to be formatted in a different way for some loaders. You can find more info on http://www.sksapps.com. Always check the compatibility chart at http://ps2drives.x-pec.com. And as far as which version is more reliable, I can't tell.

There is no way to mod them without removing the manufacturer's warranty. However there are online services that provide extended warranty for nominal cost. http://www.teammodders.com can give you 90 days warranty for 8 dollars more. While 30 days warranty is free.

Goodluck.

3. steimy

steimy Active member

Teammodders.com (provided you are in the US)
    Get a premmodded V7 (used fat model so no need for the HD Combo case which only works with the V12 & V13 anyway)
    you can either pay them to put a hard drive in or get one yourself. Look at this chart and make sure the model you are going to buy is there first.
    http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=list

4. shs4

shs4 Member

So I am thinking of getting a v13 ps2 and then using the HD combo seems like it would work very well.

I wonder because I am having trouble finding them where online or otherwise can I buy these products? (Preferably new) There does not seem to be anything to order the HD combo on the site for it.

And what about ps2 versions? I checked 2 gamestops and an EB games didn’t have the v13 console. Is there somewhere online I can get them from or should I just call all the gamestops within a 50-mile radius and ask them to check the serial numbers?

Thank you very much for the responses and any further help would be greatly appreciated.

5. steimy

steimy Active member

Teammodders.com like i said above. But you are not going to find a new V13 most places as they are up to V16 now. Plus why would you want to when it would cost you a small fortune to mod it the same as the V7. The HD Combo case itself is about $55-$65. Trust me, i did all this and you will save at least $100 or more just buying the V7 premodded instead. Yes i know that no one likes used consoles, but as long as it does what you want it to, why should it matter. If it has a scratch here or there just go to Decalgirl.com and buy a $14 full skin set and slap one on it.

Trust someone who has both systems, you will save money and be much happier with a V7

and so you know, the used systems they sell come from Gamestop so they are in perfect working order.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007