1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am losing subtitles when I back up Da Vinci Code

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by summitboy, May 16, 2007.

1. summitboy

summitboy Member

O K All you experts, what am I doing wrong? Using Shrink, I Have backed up Da Vinci Code every way I can and I still can’t get a decent copy. The issue is that the French characters are speaking french with subtitles. If I try to back the entire movie the compression is 39% and I get error messages to the effect that this is too much compression. I wouldn't want it this low anyway. So as I usually do with any movie requiring more than 75% compression, I eliminate everything I won't use like extra language tracs etc. Still, I get a copy with no subtitles. This was 65% by the way. Then I did the same only left the languages in. No subtitles when the french characters speak.

Then I tried to re-author using the compilation section and place it on two disks. I always do this if my compression is less than about 75%. Still no subtitles when the French characters speak. It appears that I can’t back this movie up intact. Any suggestions?

Don

2. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

When you reauthor the DVD, keep the english subtitles, when playing the DVD backup, make sure you have the subtitles enabled on your player.

I don't remember if the english subtitles are forced, but you can force subtitles using DVD shrink in reauthor mode..here's how http://www.dvdshrink.info/forcing_subs.php

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  3. summitboy

summitboy Member

I think this is the first time it has been an issue due to the fact that the French characters are not speaking English. I was not aware that the subtitles were not included in the re-author because till now I it has not been an issue. I will have to try to force them as using the proceedure you suggest. Thanks.