1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am problem converting my video into a dvd. Please help...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ashg3224, Jun 2, 2004.

1. ashg3224

ashg3224 Member

Hello,

I am trying to convert my wedding video to a dvd. For this I connected my VCR to my Sony Camcorder that has Firewire output. I then connected that to my Firewire port on my comouter. I used ROXIO DVD builder to capture the video. The video came in fine. It looked good on the computer. I then burnt the captured video using the same software and it burnt the DVD. But when I played the DVD on DVD player the video was extremely blotchy, so much so that I could not even see any faces.

I downloaded HT Burn 3.1 and used the .avi file that I captured earlier to convert to a new .mpg file. The file that was converted was about 6.5 GB.

I am not sure what direction to take. Is this a software problem or is it hardware? Should I get much better software? I am running all this on Celeron 2.5, 256 RAM and 160 GB hard drive. I have a DVD ROM and 8X dual mode DVD recorder.

Anyone with any insight, please help...

I would be very appreciative of any comments.

Thank you in advance.

Stuck on blothches,

Ashish

2. daba

daba Guest

Hi Ashish,

If the captured video looks good on your PC, then your hardware is powerful enough.

The blotches can come from the convertion to MPEG2, from the burn or from the disc.

Does your software directly burn after the convertion or does it create a folder on the hard disk with IFO, BUP and VOB files inside ? If you have such a folder, open the VIDEO_TS.IFO file with a viewer (such as WinDVD or Media Player) and check if the video looks good. If so, the problem is the burn or the disc.

Did you already use your DVD burner, for instance to create a backup copy of a DVD ? If so, was the copy OK ?

What type of disc do you use (DVD-R, -RW, +R, +RW) ? What brand ? Did you try several types and brands ?

Cheers,

daba

3. ashg3224

ashg3224 Member

Thank you daba,

I know it is not the media. Since there is an introduction of the DVD that Roxio (Cyberlink PowerDVD bundle) puts in the beginning of the DVD. It would be the same as having an introduction of MGM or Paramount films. That intro looks fine.

What is happening is that each pixel is digitally getting zoomed. So it would be like digitally enalrging a 4x6 print to 20x30 print. You know how if you have a small .bmp or .jpg picture and you enlarge it, you can really see the little squares. That is how the video looks.

So what I am thinking is that the DVD was recorded with maybe less resolution and when I play it it is trying to play on bigger resolution.

Do you thnk I am making sense?

Thank you again.

4. ashg3224

ashg3224 Member

i forgot to add...

The burnt disc has Audio_TS and Video_TS folders. The Audio folder is empty and Video_TS has some files in it. The file with the intro looks fine. Teh file with the my video is bad.

I am using DVD-R 1-4x discs. I have a dual mode 8X recorder.

What the software does is it converts, encodes and burns in same step so there are not temp files on the computer.