1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am really getting pi$$ed off !!

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Wiskerluv, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Member

I posted a couple of posts down about not being able to play movies on my laptop. I have the AC3 filter installed. I downloaded the VLC player (which supposedly plays anything). Tried the K-lite mega codec pack, and the Intervideo WinDVD.

Still getting this message that Windows doesnt recognize the format and the disk may be corrupt or the wrong format. Grrrr I don't know what to do next, running out of options. This only happens with movies that I have burned and not data DVDs. The movies play fine on my Dell desktop and on our home DVD player. There has to be a solution.

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Sheesh. You expect us to read your mind?

What is the make and model of the laptop?

How old is it?

What brand media did you burn the movies on?

What software did you use?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  3. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Member

Sheesh, sorry I forgot. Hey I am 65 yrs. old.

Anyway This is a laptop I bought on e-bay and it didnt come with any manual. It's an older one I believe, an IBM Thinkpad Model # A22m.

I am using Imation brand media (WalMart special). lol

The software I used was ConvertXtoDVD and used the same to burn the DVD. Mostly I look for DVD rips.

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

OK No sweat. I'll do some checking & report back. Sorry I was snippy before! I had a toothache but it's better now.

5. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Member

That's okay we all have our bad days. I did a check of the DVD with GSpot and it showed that InterVideo is missing some files. Next thing I will try and download it again and see if that works.

I put a regular movie that we bought in the laptop and it played perfectly. It could be the media I am using but those DVDs work fine on my desktop as I had mentioned. Of course my Dell is brand new and the laptop is older, so that could be it.

6. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

The first thing I would do is not use anything but Verbatim dvdr- they play on most stand alone players if they don't work you must use dvdr+ or dvdr+ booktyped to dvdr- (rare) most of the time DVDR- will work BUT they must be Verbatim brand dvdr- disc.

7. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Member

Thanks for your reply - guess I will see what everyone is raving about (Verbatim) lol.

8. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Member

Everything is pretty cool now that I am using Verbatim. No problems on the laptop now, but really surprised that evenwith using Verbatim discs, I am getting real choppy sound and picture on home DVD player. Happens with Imatation or Verbatim butnot all the time. This is so puzzling.

9. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

(Jumping in again!) Hi, Wiskerluv. I must say that home DVD players vary a lot. Regardless of price or brand. I have burned DVDs that work fine in my Taiwan brand (Ellion) player and my friend's Philips, but are choppy in another friend's Sony. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason that we can figure out. Not burning at fastest speed, but using half the burner's maximum seems to be a rule that many people adopt.

10. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

I only burn at 4x, don't burn faster than 8x for movies

11. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

maybe your stand alone needs the eye cleaned off if it plays on your lap good then its your stand alone player maybe your player only likes dvdr- or dvd+ or dvdr+ booktyped to dvdr-

12. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Member

I don't know what gives because some movies play fine and some don't. If the "eye" was dirty it wouldn't play anything good at all.

13. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

I only use Verbatim dvdr- I don't chage my burn speed or brand of disc Look at what worked on your players and stay there dont change If it works you can't fix it