1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i am so confused, would someone begin at the begining?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by catahoula, Oct 9, 2004.

1. catahoula

catahoula Member

ive been reading guides and just getting more confused... i dont know if what i WANT to do is really the Right Thing to do... basically because i Dont Understand Any of This Stuff.

i have avis that i want to back up. LOTS of them. ive ended up burning them all as data disks using Nero but my laptop's internal player doesnt recognize that there is stuff on the disks. the external DVD r/w does recognize them, but that isnt going to do me any good when i travel.

the folders are 3.75gig each, with about 10 avi inside about 350mg each.

how can i maximize disk usage, with little loss of quality? i dont KNOW that i want to be burning DVDs, just that i CAN. only 2 avis fit as a DVD, 1 if i use CD format.... would VCDs be a better option? SVCD? DivX? i cant find anywhere that will put the facts into numbers i can understand...

it just doesnt make sense to me that a 2 DVD set on my hard drive wont go back to 2 DVDs now that i have the equipment to do it.

someone, please. just lay it all out for a newb... something like this: if you have a 350mb avi and you convert it to VCD it becomes this size. SVCD this size. DivX this size and DVD this size.

thanks to anyone who can stop the tears of frustration... and takes the time to write it so their grandma (or a 5 year old) can understand...

2. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

Whats the total size of all the folders?

What exactly do you mean by that?

3. catahoula

catahoula Member

dvd rips or divx... i dont want to break posting rules, how specific can i get?

ive 14 folders at 3.75gigs each that i want viewable on my internal cd/dvd player... using datadisk format they arent viewable... converting them to dvd only gives me 2 avis on a disk, and only 1 avi on a cd, which is just plain inconvenient...

im i being unrealistic wanting to put in a disk and be able to watch for hours? i can do that with the data disks and my external dvd rw, but the point is to be able to take this with me...

4. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

Thats more than 50gigs worth of video.
    not 2 dvds..?

very unrealistic since the capacity of a dvdr is only 4.7gb which is 120mins.
    Your laptop doesnt read data files, could be the codecs or somethin??

5. catahoula

catahoula Member

believe me i know its 50gigs, its on MY hard drive :)

1 folder of 10 avis is 3.75gigs which comfortably fits on a dvd... you asked
    so yeah, im not expecting all 7 seasons on 1 dvd. but i would like the 10 epidoses which is how they came... or at least more than 1 or 2 episodes, which really seems like a waste of media.

i dont know if i am being unrealistic, i dont know if i can do what i want, but it just SEEMS to me that i Should be able to get more than 80-90 minutes of whatever on a dvd...

i could be mistaken, but if im Not, please tell me how, cos i sure cant figure it out from reading the guides and the other posts...

now, about those codecs... how would i know? what do i do? where do i go?

Thanks for being patient :)

6. catahoula

catahoula Member

not to keep beating a dead horse... but. the data disks ive made play fine with my external dvd r/w they just arent recognized by the internal cd/dvd

so it cant be a codec issue, can it? i did a websearch for 'codec', got some nifty progs... video inspector and AVIcodec, which let me load up an avi and see which codecs it needs... but really, i'm at a point where i Know i dont know what i am doing and im just downloading stuff. i need help :(

7. catahoula

catahoula Member

ok, i am definately beating a dead horse... but.

from the Guides...

Q: But how about my DivXs, I would love to watch them on my DVD player using DVD-Rs...?

A: Sh*t hap. Only way to do this is to re-encode the video and possibly change the audio. Complicated, specially if the audio is in AC3 format. And re-encoding _WILL_ lose quality, so the DVD-R version will look worse than your DivX. Anyway, if you insist again, use CCE or TMPGEnc to encode the video and if the audio is in AC3, use GraphEdit to Demux the audio into separate file from AVI and use it as it is to author the DVD. If the audio is in MP3 format, you need to use VirtualDub to save the audio in WAV format and use tooLAME (http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_software/audio_encoders/toolame.cfm) to encode it back to MP2 (note, TWO, not THREE) format. And if the audio is in 44.1kHz, the normal stuff -- use SSRC (http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_software/audio_tools/ssrc.cfm) to change the frequency from 44.1kHz to 48kHz as DVD doesn't support 44.1kHz.

ok, so? i CANT do what i wanted, right? if i do it will suck so bad i will wish i hadnt?

(and is MAYBE the reason the internal player not recognizing the dvd is that it thinks TDK is lousy media? the burner didnt like the sonys... or is it that its a data disk? Please yall...)

8. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

Correct.

9. catahoula

catahoula Member

the samsung 324F specs say: Multi-Read: DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW. the external r/w is dual format...

the data disk is a - so i really am completely lost as to why it wont recognize...

thanks for clearing me up about the realities behind my wants, i appreciate that. so, considering the only way for me to archive my avis is to burn data disks or come up with 140 cds... i'd really like it if we could resolve this data disk issue.

any help is appreciated...

10. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Last edited: Oct 10, 2004
  11. catahoula

catahoula Member

cdfreaks is: During the URL operating, Server error is occuring. Please contact System manager.

etna is untested and very scary...

samsungodd looks good tho, i am online wiht Dell support too, see what they have to say :)

thanks much! and hopefully this will resolve my issues...

12. catahoula

catahoula Member

samsungodd install and reboot... ok... now my internal player is making LOUD clicking noises, the cd icon appears and disappears while its clicking, then still, it isnt recognizing the dvd.

what to do? dell support was useless... why did i expect different? :p