1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am the king of all n00bs. Please help.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by RandomH, Feb 9, 2004.

1. RandomH

RandomH Member

After 2 months of filming and editing I just finished a good 55 or so minute movie. Getting all that editing and such done feels great, but by reading this board I have come to realize that burning may be the hard part... which isn't good because I am suppose to have this video out by tomorrow.

So I want someone to walk me through step by step what to do, so I don't mess up. All I have is Vegas video 4.0 with the video on it, and Nero (not sure which version) that doesn't burn DVDs. I'm going to want to make these on DVD-Rs, not the whole CD thing.

So basically, I need to know all the nessisary programs and how to use them. I don't want to do anything wrong and delay the video for another week or so. I have already kinda dived in and everything is getting so confusing. I got the Nero 6 demo, didnt seem to work, so I got Nero 5.5, I also got Deep Burner which seemed to work, but the DVD burned extremely fast and I can't get it to play, so surely I did something wrong. I have so many different programs and I am just getting cluttered. As we speak I am "getting" TMPGEnc, but just like all the other programs I have, I feel very crappy because I don't even know if these programs are what I need.

Ugh... I'm starting to ramble but I can't help it. I just kinda lose it when it comes to complicated computer stuff.

If it's easier, you can contact me on AIM at UglyLolaCasanova for faster communication.

2. RandomH

RandomH Member

I have another question. When I take files from Vegas they are .veg. Will I be able to leave that and burn the DVDs, or am I going to have to change the .veg to something else?

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

You are going to have to change it. You're leaving it a bit late. You will need to convert the Vegas output into an MPEG2 format for DVD Video. Realistically, it should be in VOB format, which can be done using TMPGEnc DVD Author. Then Burn in Nero using the user guide in my signature.

4. RandomH

RandomH Member

Thanks. Okay so this morning I changed the .veg to .avi using Vegas. I know have the movie in three seperate playable files on my desktop.

So you're saying what I should do now is to get MPEG2 and change the .avi file to MPGE2?

Also, I have DVD Shrink... will I be needing to use that at any given point?

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yes covert to MPEG2 in VOB format, and you may need to compress it to fit on disc using DVD Shrink, or you may not. It is important to get to VOB format. Then burn all files inside a folder called VIDEO_TS. Check out the user guides in my signature for help.

6. RandomH

RandomH Member

MPEG2 is having its way with my video at the moment. So when they finish I should have the DVD author pretty much do the same thing, then I'm ready to attempt burning? (only to have more problems) Or am I skipping some steps?

7. RandomH

RandomH Member

Ugh. Everything was going so well. I got the movie into .vob and everything. I attempted burning onto my DVD+RW. Surprisingly, it worked. Not a single problem as I watched through the whole video. I felt extremely fortunante to have it work first time.

I then started making copies on DVD+Rs this time. I wasted 3 DVD+Rs trying to get it to work. It seemed like it was going to work. It said burn was complete and it ejected the disk. I put it back in, and sure enough, it didn't work. This happened with all 3 DVD+Rs.

Any ideas why? I'm using Deep Burner.

8. RandomH

RandomH Member

Wow this forum moves pretty fast. I just need a quick question answered though. I got my video working perfectly fine on a DVD+RW using my computer. All my DVD players are too old to support it though( im guessing). But I have burned the movie to 3 different DVD+Rs and none of them have worked on my computer or my DVD players. Any ideas why?

I was thinking maybe DVD+Rs are a kinda new format so they won't work with my DVD players, and possibly DVD-Rs will. But that doesn't make much sense because the DVD+RW does work on my computer.

Help is appriciated.

9. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Did you burn as DVD-Video in a VIDEO_TS folder ? I've never heard of Deep-Burner...
    If you've ever used Nero then do it with that , is very straight forward (and proven reliable for many here at aD) !:)

VOB files will play on a PC anyway , it isn't a given that the disc will then play in any/all stand alone DVD Players.

10. RandomH

RandomH Member

Yeah, I do the whole VIDEO_TS thing.

I just tried the to burn again. While I was unsuccessful and wasted my 4th DVD+R (grr) I did find something interesting. In the console thing for Deep Burner it says:

"Medium type in drive: CD-R"

Not only am I not using a CD... I'm using a DVD+R, not -. So maybe that is my problem. But then again... why would my DVD+RW have worked?

I'll investigate tomorrow and re-record over my DVD+RW even though could potentially ruin the only copy of the movie I have on disk. I can't stand wasting these DVD+Rs, even if they are a hella cheap brand.

Thanks to those that have been helping me in this topic. All this burning stuff definetely isn't easy.

Oh yeah, and one quick question. If i were to go out and buy some DVD-Rs tomorrow, what brand would you suggest?

11. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Ritek G04 DVD-R (I have used a couple of hundred of these and they're superb).

12. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

What writer are you using. Make sure you system recognises it for what it is.

13. RandomH

RandomH Member

I'm using a Iomega Dual DVD burner. How do I make sure my computer is detecting it correctly?