1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am trying to format my harddrive but can't ...-help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jOSEPHe, Sep 3, 2004.

1. jOSEPHe

jOSEPHe Member

I have a Dell desktop which originally came with Windows XP. I upgraded to Windows 2000 last year. Now, because of Adware,Spyware,viruses, corruptions, I have to format my C drive. When I insert the original disk from Microsoft used to reinstall original format, the message I get is that my computer cannot be formated because I have a newer version of Windows than what the computer originally came with. What can I do? Help is greatly appreciated....urgently....

2. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

I guess you mean you downgraded to Windows 2000?

You might need to delete the partition before you're able to install over a newer version. Coulnd't really recommend it though. At least remember to backup everything beforehand. =)

3. HardTymes

HardTymes Guest

As for formatting the hard drive C:
    You can use a bootable floppy and Fdisk the C: drive
    Once you have formatted the C: drive you will have to reinstall what ever operating system (Make sure that you have backed up your .txt .doc .jpg etc before you do this or you will be sorry and very sad if you had a picture of your gradmother reconditioned and you lost all that hard work doing this!

4. jOSEPHe

jOSEPHe Member

What is a bootable floppy? How do I make one? Sorry I am so ignorant when it comes to this stuff...thanks in advance

5. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

You might want to consider twice before formatting your system, unless you're absolutely sure you know what you are doing.

If you are absolutely sure you want to erase your hard disk, you can boot using the Windows 2000 CD and remove the existing partition with the W2K installer and then create a new one and have Windows use it.

But again, unless you are not sure about what you're doing, and especially if you don't have another computer you can use to check the Net if something goes wrong, I'd suggest you take your computer to a professional for the re-install.

6. HardTymes

HardTymes Guest

I will have to agree with [bold]Ketola[/bold] that you need to have a professional do it for you, if you don't know what a bootable floppy is or bootable Cd is. There is a lot involved with starting with a fresh formatted hard drive.

[​IMG]