1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am wasting Dvd's Please Help!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by PADAVID, Jan 10, 2005.

1. PADAVID

PADAVID Member

I would be grateful to anyone who can offer any insight to me and I thank you in advance.

I recently installed an I/O Magic Internal DVD RW/R 16x Dual Format Double Layer DVD burner and I am using Verbatim DVD R 4.7 GB 1x-8x blank DVD's.

I am using the latest version of DVD Shrink in conjunction with NERO 6.0.

My problem is this. Each time I try and back up one of my DVD's the quality is very poor. I am only backing up the main movie portion so that I can keep the highest possible quality and very not have to compress. My backedup dvds work fine uaually for approx. half of the movie and the they start to mess up with distorded pictures and sound and the movie freezing and skipping. I am wasting DVD's like crazy not to mention time.

I have done research and determined I might be able to improve the quality by slowing down the write speed from 8x to 4x but the problem is neither DVD Shrink nor Nero will allow me to do this. The only options available to me from the various drop down menus to change the speed is Maximum and 16x. I do not have any lower write speeds to choose from. So I downloaded COPY2DVD and in this software program I was able to select the write speed and set it at 4x. I made one dvd by using DVD shrink to copy the file and then used copy2dvd to trasfer it to a dvd.. This is not nearly as easy and requires more steps but I see, to have made a better quality DVD.

QUESTION

Can anyone tell me why the only write speed options DVD Shrink and Nero offer is maximum and 16x while COPY2DVD allows me to select whatever write speed I want?

Is I/O Magic a poor quality writer and possibly the cause of my problem?

Is Verbatim a poor quality brand dvd to use for movie back up purposes?

I am getting so frustrated with the movies screwing up after playing halfway through or more and would be very grateful to anyone who could offer any insight or advice as to what I might be doing wrong.

Thank You So Much!

2. john179

john179 Active member

Verbatim is a good brand of media so unless it is not very compatible with your drive you should have no problems.I would re install Nero again do a clean install and see if this makes any difference.If it does not try a different media in your drive like a Ritek and see if this has any difference to whe write speeds in Nero.It could be that your drive is not very compatible at reading the media you are currently using.Try this little tool which you can download from the link below which Nero also has a simular tool in the programe to test the media but it obviously looks like the nero one may not be much good to you.You could compare the results to those in the Nero tool and if both give you the same results you may need to use another type of media.

http://www.dvdinfopro.com./

Also have a look at at the maker of your drives website for recomended medias and they may even have a firmware update to deal with certain problem medias for your drive.

3. doc4eva11

doc4eva11 Member

don't run other programs while you're importing/burning

4. WiteWizrd

WiteWizrd Regular member

--iv had the same problem...

how are you testing your disc...player or in the dvd drive?

alot of the time its your dvd player...i have a cheap $30 player and a $350 player..the cheap player plays the disc fine...but the nice one messes up after the half way point. see if you can test the disc in a friends player.

5. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

you could use a rw disc until you get your problem corrected . this will cut down on the coaster count . one other thing you can try is to try to burn using decrypter which allows you to slow the burn speed down . dvd decrypter can be downloaded for free from here .http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm