1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i broke my ps2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! help me

Discussion in 'PS2' started by madden7, Apr 24, 2005.

1. madden7

madden7 Member

ok ilooked online for a method to clean my ps2 and i did it countless times without harm so i went a little deeper to my ps2 to clean it and now when ever i start my ps2 at my main menu instead of all thjose little light white bals swarming all around they are all together and it always says disc read error im in trouble and an avid gamer i need help!!!!! can sony still fix my ps2 even if the seal is broke and how much will it cost?

2. esrever

esrever Regular member

You might as well get a new PS2. Get a thin one, they're sweet, and faster too.

3. s49w

s49w Guest

[ADVERT REMOVED]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2005
  4. clouser

clouser Guest

5. s49w

s49w Guest

[ADVERT REMOVED]

6. steimy

steimy Active member

wow, they fix it for only $40! I may just get my old V5 fixed to put in my car. Then i have a reason to install my 2 7.2" LCD screens and FM Modulator to run it through the stereo.

7. forresto

forresto Member

Wait a minute fellas. Save your money. Sony will fix it for free. Well, you have to pay the shipping to get it to them. I have an old refurbished ps2 I got online and it got DRE after 1 year. I sent it to the Sony repair center here:

San Diego SSC
    16795 Via Del Campo
    San Diego, CA 92127

They put in a new lens and some other parts. FREE! In fact, I have had to do this twice now. Man, these things are crappy. There are steps that explain the whole process online. Sony even payed to ship it back to me. The whole ordeal only took me a week and a half. I live in LA though.

8. forresto

forresto Member

I forgot to mention. I broke the stupid seal on the back trying to follow the methods described above and Sony did not give a crap. They put on a new sticker both times when they sent it back to me. So far, so good. We shall see if it goes back a third time, or if they finally break and send me a new one.

9. AtariBorn

AtariBorn Regular member

I tried calling Sony to get my referbished v7 fixed, and they told me the warranty was up. I've had mine for 4 months, and they wanted either $75 to exchange it for another referbished or $45 plus S&H for repair. The repair was gonna take 3 to 4 weeks!

10. esrever

esrever Regular member

Damn corporate hogs.

11. forresto

forresto Member

Let me see how I can put this...Sony will fix your PS2 for FREE, IF. If you have the DRE issue. That is all I can vouch for. There was a class action lawsuit filed against Sony because so many people were getting DRE's on their almost new PS2's. Any other problems, I cannot tell you for sure whether Sony will fix them or not. My old hunk of junk v.4 got DRE within 8 mos. Sony will badger you with questions trying to resolve the issue over the phone or just try get rid of you. Stick with it, keep saying DRE, DRE, DRE. Be smart and answer their questions accordingly, however, do not let them pass you off. Eventually they will break down and give you all the info to send in your PS2 for a FREE repair. I HAVE DONE IT 2 TIMES IN 2 YEARS. It really works, and it only takes 1-2 weeks tops, if you live on the west coast.

12. NickW1281

NickW1281 Member

Hey forresto. Just so you know, they no longer fix them for free. They stopped doing it mid-April. I had heard about that too and called them to get it fixed. Turns out I was 2 days too late. Instead of fixing them for free they charge you the prices mentioned above. Unfortunately great deals don't last forever (and neither do crap consoles... I've gone through 3 now).

13. GobDob

GobDob Member

if you've already been inside your ps2 and taken most of it apart will they still fix it for free.

14. s49w

s49w Guest

[ADVERT REMOVED]

15. GobDob

GobDob Member

thats cool, but i think i fried the laser trying to fix it

16. forresto

forresto Member

NickW1281....I was not aware they had stopped repairing them. Are you 100% sure about that? I sent mine back again early this year, but I must admit it was before April. What about the lawsuit that was filed over DRE's? I opened my PS2 both times before I sent it back and they still fixed it and replaced the sticker. However, it was in on piece, and everything worked aside from getting DRE 98% of the time. I am looking at the invoice right now. It lists 2 things that were replaced. Device, Optical KHS and VOID TAPE. So they put in a new lens and a new sticker. It was billed to PSX project 919 East Hillsdale Blvd. 2nd floor Foster City, CA 94404. I paid to ship it to them, that is all. Can anyone verify, if what Nick says holds true in all instances?

17. forresto

forresto Member

Well, NickW1281 and AtariBorn are absolutely correct. I called and checked. The bastards have stopped with the free repairs and guess what? I am getting DRE's again! No kidding. I have had it with Sony. If anything I will use videogamerepair.gopherlures.com They are located close by and cheaper than Sony. Besides, Sony never could FIX the damn thing anyhow. 2 TIMES I SENT IT BACK!!! Still....

18. s49w

s49w Guest

[ADVERT REMOVED]