1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I cannot get into my windows xp bios

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Stillme, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Stillme

Stillme Guest

I really need help, I have tryed everything under the sun to get into my win xp bios and can't get in. I've tryed hitting the delete key several times, I tryed hitting f8 key, I tryed going into the saft mode nothing has worked. I want to install a new 80gig hard drive on the system and change to windows 2000, I install new drive and it keeps asking me to put the right media into the drive and hit any key, and when I do that it just keeps saying the same thing. So I put the old drive back in with the windows xp already on it and still I cannot get to the bios, I have no idea what I am doing wrong can someone please help meeeeeeeeeeeee...

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

windows has nothing to do with the bios. the bios is contained completely on the motherboard.

when you first boot up, you'll get a message on the screen that says "press f8 to enter setup" or something along those lines. that's what you want to do. you want to set your machine to boot from the optical drive first.

then, remove the old hard drive, set the jumper on the new drive to master, install it, put the copy of windows 2000 (given it's a bootable disc) in the drive and start the pc.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if computer is a name brand like dell or hp than what is the make & model# of the computer? if a clone computer from local store or homebuilt than what is make & model# of motherboard?