1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I cant believe Im the first to start a thread on Magic 3.1+

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by tristanm, Nov 29, 2004.

1. tristanm

tristanm Member

I have begun modding my version 6 pal machine with a chip i bought from modchipstore.com, who gave me a diagram but it is inconsistant with my machine and I really could use a hand. I'm talking now about a chip i don't know if its genuine but its got magic 3.1+ written on it and a smiley.
    Can anyone assist me, has anyone had dealings with this chip / company?

2. xxONExx

xxONExx Guest

3. tristanm

tristanm Member

I'm not sure my friend, because when itry to follow your link alas i cannot. That site must have crashed today.

4. tristanm

tristanm Member

If anyone else has any suggestions if any one has encountered this chip, or has had similar problems with diagrams in the past AND HAS FOUND THE REQUIRED COMMMONALITIES. or anyone perhaps who just has the know-how and savvy required in such a situation.
    http://www.modchipstore.com/support...46&PHPSESSID=95f9820a5a251271677dc1476f15c79d
    This should I hope show you a picture of the m/board in question, in the centre badly highlighted in grey is an anomolous chip which is not in the original fitting diagram. see below
    http://ww.w.modchipstore.com/product_16146_Magic_31_No_Swap_Mod_Chip_for_Playstation_2.html
    Zip file on that page.
    Any assistance is enormously appreciated and by the way,
    nobody should have dealings with MODCHIPSTORE.COM there after-sales service is non-existant!

5. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

what part of the diagram is inconsistent with your ps2?

6. tristanm

tristanm Member

The difference as can be seen via the urls above, is a large no-descrpit black(no text on it.) chip. Which is not there in the diagram, that is showing a smaller chip in its place and power soldering point a little black block with 63 on it.
    I have found another point 63 the only other one. I was thinking that must be where i should solder to. It is just below/right of the power supply connection to the rest of the sytem the white block with four pins.

7. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

have you removed the hard dark grey cover material(heat sink) from the chip that hides the pwr connection point

Last edited: Dec 2, 2004
  8. tristanm

tristanm Member

AH, aparrently not, how do i do that? without causing any damage, i did pull very gently on it, but concluded wrongly.

9. dustymugs

dustymugs Member

10. tristanm

tristanm Member

I tried but the url failed, I think that site is dead, do you know of another? Or if you've done it can you simly tell me in basic terms? Thanks for all your help on this i really appreciate it :)

11. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

it just pulls off, it's stuck on with a small spot of glue type substance on the main chip under it