1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i cant believe whats happened here please help if possible

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by chloe1023, Apr 28, 2007.

1. chloe1023

chloe1023 Member

i have a 76gb hdd , i had it partitioned ito 3
    C: 15gb with win xp installed (fat32)
    D: 28gb (fat32)
    E: 33gb (ntfs)

i thought of creating another small partition so i intended to delete the logical drive D using fdisk then create 2 logical drives where D was , so in fdisk i deleted the logical drive D , then created a 15gb logical drive , decided i did not want this partition this big so i went to delete the 15gb logical drive i just created and it did so , then pressed esc , and it looked as though the 15gb logical drive was still there , deleted it again and pressed esc and it was still there , thought this was not right so i booted into windows xp only to discover my Entfs) has disappeared .
    Now im left with my C: with my OS installed on it and a drive which i cant access because it asks me to format it , i have not formatted it as i know this will wipe my data forever .

Now under the circumstances i seem to have deleted Entfs) is it at all possible to recover the data from my hard drive or is it gone forever ?
    I have installed a 60gb drive as slave so ive got room to transfer files onto another drive if necessary .

please help

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I think the technical term is "hosed".

3. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Dunno if you've found the solution to this yet, but I would guess you'd get more response in a more appropriate forum. Requesting this thread be moved to the relevant forum.

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Thanks for the compliment, locoeng.

5. LOCOENG

Whats that?

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

7. LOCOENG

Thanks ddp...I knew there was a kind soul out there somewhere willing to help.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no problem, teach & learn

9. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Data recovery, at this point, is your only option if you wish to save your information. Costly maybe, but time consuming at best.

You've learned a valuable lesson. It boils down to two things:

1. ALWAYS backup your data BEFORE playing with partition tables/sizes/moving/resizing.
    2. FDISK is to be used ONLY on a new drive. NEVER use it once the drive is under operating conditions...i.e....with an OS installed. There are partition programs that run within Windows for that purpose.

Also...there is no need to use FDISK anymore. It's outdated, and unstable when it comes to resizing or moving partitions...in fact, that's not even what it's meant for.

Unless you have the time and money to spend recovering your data...it's time to put in the XP install CD...and start over new. Keep in mind, that the MBR is limited to four partitions per drive with XP.