1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i cant burn onto my dvd-r's but i can on my dvd-rw

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ian_, Jun 12, 2003.

1. ian_

ian_ Member

the thing is that ive ripped like 2 or 3 original dvds, and after ripping them they are about 4.3-4.5gig in size. the memorex dvd-r's i have are 4.7gig/120min video... and my HP dvd-rw only says 4.7gig, and nothin about video size it holds. i was able to burn successfully on the dvd-rw, but on my dvd-rs, it wont let me..it says there is not enough room. im confused and dont understand why this wont work.

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

You need to download a compression tool like DVD Shrink or DVD2One. You can find them under:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software

Most Ripped DVD's have to be compressed.

3. ian_

ian_ Member

actually i have dvd2one, but what size do i need to compress the dvd to, cause i did it to a movie before and it was like 4.6gigs and it still wouldnt fit.. so i dunno

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I think its 4.38GB

5. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

This has to do with a different Lead-out burning to DVD-r or DVD-rw.

6. ian_

ian_ Member

i also tried dvd2one and made the dvd 4300mb and then it still wouldnt burn! i have no idea what i should try next

7. andru123

andru123 Member

Could you please expkain more about different lead-out burning thingie? I have absolutely the same problem - DvdXcopy makes perfect copies on DVDRW, but as soon as i copy to DVDR, it plays only 1 warning screen from "321 studios", and then it says
    DVD Error
    Error code 89020003 "The DVD disc might have been damaged so as to inhibit playback operation"

What's going on?

Also I noticed that on DVDR it says "Record once format" "Version 1.0"
    And on DVDRW : ."Rewrite format" "Version 1.1"

I use Nashua DVDs. I also succesfully backed up "Final Fantasy - movie" and "Ice Age", but I could not back up "Beauty and the .." and "Final Fantasy - extras"

I use NEC ND 1100A, and Nero Express "ver. 5.5.10.13 NEC"(the default which came with NEC writer)

Note that I could successfully backup all movies mentioned above on DVDRWs, using both DVDXCOPY and IfoEdit. The DVDRs give me problems.
    I wasted 4 DVDRs already.

I tried both copying from DVDRW to DVDR, and writing directly to DVDR from the same image I used to write to DVDRW.

I use DVD+R(W).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2003
  8. andru123

andru123 Member

Ok, some updates.

I checked out doom9 forum, and found 1 refenece that Nashua DVDR sux with NEC 1100 (although arguable)

Well, I still doubt that bad media was the cause, because 2 out of 6 DVDRs worked fine.

There must be some difference in DVD formats.