1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't copy an already copied DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Leigh22, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Leigh22

Leigh22 Member

To backup original DVD's I use DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter. What do I use if I want to make a copy of the dvd that I have already copied? For somer reason, those programs will not allow me to make the copies...

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Copies are already decrypted and sized to fit a target disc (media to be recorded to). So the programs you mentioned are not needed or made for the purpose of simply copying. Most recording suites, such as Nero and Roxio have disk copy functions. They are simple and if need be, you can refer to the appropriate user guide for how they work.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Since you're a beginner, here is some info you may find useful. Just in case you haven't already seen it.

Info for beginners: (I'll mention a few popular programs, but there are others of these types.)
    Backing up factory DVD movies has 3 basic steps and a few things to remember. The steps are 1)Decrypt/deCSS; 2)Encode/Transcode (Fit to the target disc, shrink when necessary); and 3)Burn.

You can have one program that does it all, some programs do a couple of the steps and some only do one step or one step at a time.

Decrypting can be done with driver type decrypters like AnyDVD or with apps such as DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink.

DVD Decrypter is used to decrypt and rip files to the (HD) hard drive. If DVD Decrypter is going to be used as a burner, 2 important things have to be remembered.
    1)Use the ISO read mode to decrypt and
    2)the file size has to be below 4.37 (GB) gigabytes.
    If the file is above 4.37GB, DVD Decrypter cannot burn the ISO file to a 4.7GB disc. [Note: 4.7 is a retail designation for a disc; the actual size of a 4.7 disc that a computer reads is 4.37GB.] File size is important to know.

DVD Shrink can be used to decrypt and rip to the HD. Normally though, Shrink is used to decrypt a disc, using a temporary file, and transcoding the file in preparation to be burned. Nero isn't part of Shrink, but is the default app that Shrink uses to burn automatically. Shrink can also use DVD Decrypter in ISO burn mode and CopytoDVD can also be used. I suggest Nero, as DVD Shrink is already set to use it.

There are a number of transcoding programs, browsing the forums can get a lot of info on those. It's already been mentioned what they do. Just remember, simply speaking, this step is to prep the file for burning.

There are a number of apps on the market now. Due to laws, most of the popular recording programs now are trancoding and burning programs. These recording programs have to have a decrypter. With a driver type decrypter the program runs as though it was one of the older ripper programs that did everything. With the manual type decrypters the files are ripped to the HD and the file then has to be opened by the recording program.

Burner or recording programs are either incorporated into programs or are separate in recording suites. I mentioned Nero as it is a favorite on many forums and a favorite of mine. There are others.

4. jahern

jahern Member

Copying discs (without the encrypted code) can be done:

[bold]DVD Shrink and burning software[/bold] - just save files or image to hard drive(no shrinking will be necessary if your copied DVD has already been "shrunk")and burn. I've done this with [bold]DVD Shrink together with Nero.[/bold] With a shrunk DVD, Shrink doesn't shrink the files but will easily save them to the hard drive.

[bold]On-the-fly[/bold](from disc to disc, without saving an image or files on the hard drive)-This takes some buffering to make sure that the burner doesn't try to burn something that isn't ready from the feeding drive. I've done this with Nero. Two DVD drives, at least one a DVD burner, are necessary. Burning speed should basically be slower than the ripping speed.

[bold]Using a single DVD+-R drive, saving no files to hard drive[/bold] - I used Roxio's copy disc function. It took forever but it worked. The computer has to remember what it is going to burn without saving files to the hard drive. I think that is called "Cache Memory", but those concepts are way out of my league.

Using Disc Copy function, [bold]saving an image to the hard drive[/bold] - Save an image to the hard drive then create the disc (I have not done this since a full-sized disc image is two big for my Windows 98 to create.)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2004
  5. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Leigh22,

What brand of media are you using?

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Hey flip, "top of the evenin to ya." Yep, bad media has caused many a backup not to work. I got the impression it was software, but looking back it is up for interpretation. Between the two of us, I think we got it covered. [bold]Use good media and the disc copy function of the recording suite.[/bold] Can't get any more simple than that.

7. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

Leigh22,

I'll take a stab at your problem. My guess is that it's not the media type, nor the program you using. My guess is that you're reading the burned DVD on your DVD-ROM, an old DVD-ROM or one that doesn't have updated firmware, and it can't read whatever combination of -R, _RW, +R, or +RW type media you're using.

My suggestion is to read the burned DVD in the DVD Writer you burned the disk with. Might be a little more wear and tear on the burner, but at least the DVD gets read.

8. Leigh22

Leigh22 Member

I am using Memorex DVD+R.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Not the best, it's manufactured by CMC Magnetics or most of the current Memorex is. You can use DVDInfoPro to ID media. It should have recorded though, it's not that bad.

Try giving us a bit more info. You have everyone making wild guesses. The suggestions flip and I made cover the situation if your hardware is up to par and you're just needing a copy made (good media and use a disc copy app from a recording suite). Does the copy you're trying to copy play in your software and what program was used to copy it? Is it a regular copy with video files? Did the copies made with Shrink play in the same hardware you're using. Normally Decrypter and Shrink can be used to copy a copy. Decrypter will rip and burn a copy from a 4.7 to a 4.7. Shrink will also process a copy to burn. Sort of a redundant process as the copy only needs to be burned and not decrypted or transcoded. Does the disc copy program mentioned do the job for you or do you need additional help?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2004
  10. Leigh22

Leigh22 Member

I have check a number of the suggestions listed... none of them work. I am already using the latest firmware on both my dvd drives... I have tried to copy using both drives... nothing works... I tried to copy the dvd copy using DVD Shrink and DVD Decrytper. When trying with DVD Shrink, I get the following error: data error (cyclic redundacy check). When using DVD Decrypter I get a simular error. Nero does not have a feature that will allow a direct DVD+R to DVD+R copying.

11. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I would say it's your media. You never said what brand your using.

If you use poor quality media, then in most cases it will not be able to be read/ripped.

12. jahern

jahern Member

Quote:
    " Nero does not have a feature that will allow a direct DVD+R to DVD+R copying. "

I have used it. It's called "copy disc" Now, listen closely. I have done this. You have to believe me. I am not making this up. Before saying Nero doesn't have it, maybe you should ask "Where is it because I can't find it?"

I have found this function at least three different ways. Where are you looking?

13. Leigh22

Leigh22 Member

I am using Memorex DVD+R Media. Yes, I apologize, I found where I can burn a copy of a DVD in Nero, however, I couldn't get it to work for copying the DVD I have already copied.

14. brobear

brobear Guest

If Nero's copy disc won't copy it, you have problems. With all those apps not processing the disc, ever think you might have a faulty copy? Standalone players will play things a PC will not record (thats from firsthand experience). Try making a copy of the original. BTW and as I said before, using Shrink and Decrypter to copy a copy is a redundant process. However, Shrink and Decrypter will tell you when you have a bad recording; which I think they just did.

Just for fun, use DVDInfoPro and run the "questionable" copy through to check for errors. DVDInfoPro is a free utility app you can download from the net.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2004
  15. Leigh22

Leigh22 Member

I will give DVDInfoPro a try. Thanks. Just to let you know... I have a problem with every copy I try to copy. They all work on DVD players with no problems though.

16. brobear

brobear Guest

Whether program error or user error, something seems to be going wrong in the original recording process; especially since the same problem occurs in all your copies. That is unless there is something about your software setup that isn't obvious. Nero's disc copy function just copies what is on the disc. It doesn't reauthor. So, if the original copy is in good condition, then the copy should be the same. You said you just found the copy function, have you read the guide to make sure you're using it correctly? Guides at the Nero site.

17. jahern

jahern Member

A couple of questions. [bold](to Leigh22 who is having trouble)[/bold]

1. What does it say in Nero when you can't get it to work?

2. If you put your original copy in DVD Shrink, and click Open Disc, what happens?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2004
  18. brobear

brobear Guest

[bold]@jahern[/bold]
    You should have originally directed the question at the particular person if you wanted an answer from them; especially when there is a number of people on the thread posting. The links are still good for program info, so I'll leave them.

Guides for Nero at the nero website.
    Guides for Shrink at http://www.dvdshrink.info

19. brobear

brobear Guest

I haven't run into Nero not working and the quick guides with pictures at Dvdshrink.info explain the process of operating Shrink in a simple and fast manner.

20. jahern

jahern Member

quote:
    [bold]A couple of questions. (to Leigh22 who is having trouble)

1. What does it say in Nero when you can't get it to work?

2. If you put your original copy in DVD Shrink, and click Open Disc, what happens? [/bold]