1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Can't Copy , Somebody Help!!!

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by avl1983, Mar 5, 2007.

1. avl1983

avl1983 Member

I'm new to all this dvd copying, i live in england, and i have been trying to copy dvd's for a while now, my biggest problem is i dont know much about what i'm doing but i'm finding it hard to find information. there is so many different types of software available it hard to know which is the best to try, i have been using DVDFab to decrypt the dvd's and this seems to be working fine. then i have been trying to use DVD Shrink to shrink the memory of the dvd. when i try to use dvd shrink every dvd i choose it tells me it cant do it because of something to do with copy protection, as understand it, this happens with certain dvds but it should work on some of them surely? i have yet to find a dvd that it will use. i was then trying to use dvd santa to burn the discs on the discs within the memory size of 4.7GB, I also bought some double layered dvd's to try and use them instead of shrinking it down, but when i tried to use dvd santa it didn't seem to recognise the fact that i had double layered dvd's it just told me there was too much information to fit onto a 4.7 GB disc. the discs i did manage to copy started ok, but then started skipping, i was using dvd+rw's.

So, if anybody could help me to work all these problems out i would be very grateful. from start to finish, do i need new software? is DVDFab good software to use? why couldn't i use DVD Shrink? is DVD Santa any good? are using DVD+RW's the best to use? why do the discs skip once i've copied them? I know this is a lot to ask from one thread, but i would really appreciate any help i can get.

Thank You

2. onya

onya Guest

Use this LINK for all the software you need to make successful backups. This site was put together by four AD members, who really know their stuff.

Use either the third or fourth "button" down for starters, and all should be well. If you need further help, reply to this thread and help won't be too far away. Disks usually skip due to high burn speeds, and the type of media can also be a factor. Let us know how you get on eh?

Cheers.

3. avl1983

avl1983 Member

Thanks very much, i will do this and get back to you.

4. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

Try using Ripit4me.

Use good quality disks (verbatim)

Only burn at 1/2 the rated speed of the Disk.

Reduce the area that you can use to burn to on the disks (4300-4460)

You can get RI4M at http://www.ripit4me.org

Guide is on site

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You don't need to go wandering off unless you just want to. There's enough experienced members still posting on AD to help you out. Berryone mentioned a good program, RipIt4Me. It's tops for bypassing copy protection and processing for compliance. Usually the best plan is to leave the settings at default and use the 1-Click mode to completely process the DVD files. Don't use the ISO rip mode. Then all you do is wait for the files to open in Shrink.

Here's an all in one installer. You can delete the software you have and use this to properly install all the free software you need to do good backups, including the newer more difficult ones.

http://www.invisionplus.net/forums/index.php?mforum=aioinstallers&showtopic=7

RipIt4Me AIO
    http://www.snapdrive.net/files/60656/download/AIO_v3.0.zip

imgburn
    http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

The version of Shrink in the AIO supports the newer ImgBurn for burning output instead of the older Decrypter burner. I don't care for the Menushrink, but that's up to the user. It does save space.

There's plenty of guides for the software here at AD and other sites and we're here to reply to specific questions. Read the guides, try the software and then ask questions if you encounter problems. http://www.DVDShrink.info has some good quick start guides for Shrink and http://ripit4me.org/guide.html has all you need to know about RipIt4Me. With RipIt4Me open, click F1 for the help files.

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Did we miss anything?

7. avl1983

avl1983 Member

You've all been very helpful and i am very gateful. I tried what onya suggested and i went onto the link provided, i clicked on the third option down on the page of links, i downloaded everything that it told me to, and i went through everything it said, the only problem i encountered was, after i had used DVD Shrink I went to burn the disc with IMGBurn and it didnt burn properly, there was nothing on the disc. i have no idea as to why this was, and otherwise everything went to plan.

Any ideas people?

8. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

What is the make on model of ur burner?
    What is the firmware?

What brand of dvds r u using?

U can open ImgBurn and find all this Info for us.

9. avl1983

avl1983 Member

The make of my dvd burner as far as i am aware is: TSSTcorp DVD+RW TS-L532B DE04, i hope this is what your asking for.

I'm sorry i dont know what firmware is. if you could explain it for me i will reply asap.

The DVD's i've been using are Imation DVD+RW 4X compatible 4.7 GB. I have just bought some DVD-R's over the internet as i have run out of DVD's.

thanks

10. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

Do a search for DVD Identifier v5.0.1

Download and install it. That will tell you who the real manufacturer of the disc is. Imation Farms out it's discs to many mfgs and usually are poor quality. I suggest you Get Some VERBATIM -R Media.

DE04 I think is the Firmware

Is This a Notebook or A desktop?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  11. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Can you post your ImgBurn log? Or a screenshot when ImgBurn is burning? Was there any error when burning with ImgBurn? What DVD file did you saved via DVD Shrink (i.e. ISO or VIDEO_TS)? Before burning with ImgBurn, make sure "Write" Mode is checked and "Test Mode and Verify" is unchecked.

In addition to 300bowler has said, firmware plays a very important role when it comes to DVD burning, it increase media compatibility (especially with newer media). Go here http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php and get the latest firmware available on your burner if you haven't done so.

12. avl1983

avl1983 Member

Alkohol, I have gone to the link u have told me to, but how do i know what is the best firmware to download? there seems to be loads on there and i don't know which is the best one to use.

I won't be able to get a screen shot of the log or whatever until i do it again which will be a few days yet, because i have had to buy some more dvd-r's and i will have to wait for them to arrive. I'm not sure if there was a fault when it burn't. I think there may have been but i went out while it was burning and it all seemed to be done when i got back.

Berryone, I think mine is a desktop, its a laptop i've been using. i hope thats right and answers ure question.

I seem to have made a mistake. i have just put in the disc to try and use DVD Identifier to find out the make of the disc. when i have put it into my computer, i have found that all the information needed is on the disc, the film is on there in what seems perfect quality, but the film desnt seem to work on my dvd player. sorry to confuse the issue, when i tried it in my dvd player and nothing at all came up, i assumed the disc was blank, but obviously it is not, i have no idea why it wont work in the dvd player but it does come straight up in my laptop. any advice, will be very much appreciated.

sorry for any inconvenience

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

What format is the DVD you recorded to and what format does your standalone player support? If Shrink did the transcoding and ImgBurn did the burning, the files should be DVD compliant. I leave a little wiggle room because I've seen burners heading south cause a few issues. I have no idea if your burner booktypes, but now would be a good time to use it if it does.

14. avl1983

avl1983 Member

Hi, The format of the dvd used was dvd+rw, how do i find out what formats my dvd player supports?

15. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

It could also be what Pacman777 said about ur dvd player not being able to play a certain format(-,+) of dvds

How old is ur Dvd Player
    ?

BTW, when u use dvd identifier and put the burnt disk in whats the Manufacturer's ID: ??????

If its CMC thats not good at all

Hope u ordered some top notch media like Verbatims or Taiyo Yudens, if not i would suggest returning them for those brands

EDIT-
    It should say in the manual of the dvd player what format it plays

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Here is avl1983's drive http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters.php?DVDnameid=1424&Search=Search&list=2#comments It does support dvd+r and dvd-r at 8x and dvd+r DL at 4x. It is not capable of bitsetting.

If it's like the junk samsung drive that came in my dell laptop, it will be riplocked to 4x with pressed DL dvd's and won't burn any faster than 4x. The burned discs should still be playable however as long as good media is used (verbatim).

17. avl1983

avl1983 Member

are verbatim the only make of dvd's that will work? i only ask as they seem to be a little more expensive and i have lots of dvd's to backup. if thats the case, ok, but i thought i'd ask.

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

No but verbatim is one of the best makes of dvd media and proven. Other good brands are Taiyo yuden and usually sony or ritek.

19. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

You Might want to Shop around for a Newer Burner. Yours doesn't sound very good (after what Mort said) Newegg has a Sony burner for a laptop

SONY 8X DVD±R Slim DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write Black IDE Model AW-G540A-10 - OEM for $61

and one for a Desktop

SONY 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write White E-IDE/ATAPI Model DRU830A - Retail for $47

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&N=50001112&Submit=ENE&Nty=1&Manufactory=1112

20. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

On your standalone player, check with the manufacturer website if possible or post the model here and someone may have the answer for you.

I mentioned this before, only the newer multi-format standalone players support the RW format. That could easily account for why the DVD plays on your PC and not the standalone. Since your burner doesn't bitset, it doesn't really matter if you use +R or -R media (I'm partial to +R myself). Use some quality +R or -R media (not RW) and see how your standalone player handles them. The quality media may also help the skip problems. Make sure the quality settings are checked in Shrink's Backup settings, if the compression is very high.