1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't ftp to xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by truant, Feb 13, 2005.

1. dankad

dankad Member

the cable im using looks sorta like a phone cable except the plug is a bit wider

2. dankad

dankad Member

i found the packaging, it is a crossover cable

3. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Right. (Ethernet Cable)
    Here's the thing though. Externally, that cable can mimic one of two types.
    A: Straight through CAT5 cable
    B: Crossover Cable
    It's the wires positions that distinguish the two and control the capability of each type.

Does it say crossover on the side of the cable?

The main way to tell the difference is to compare the wiring order on the ends of the cable. If the wiring is the same on both sides, it is a straight-through cable. If one side has the opposite wiring, meaning that the cables in pin positions 1, 2, 3 and 6 have been crossed over, then it's a crossover cable — hence the name.

When trying to identify a cable, you should look at the end of the RJ-45 cable with the clip facing away from you. Brown is always on the right and Pin 1 is on the left. A crossover has one end with the orange set of wires switched with the green set. The color-coding specified within the clip is defined as EIA/TIA 568A/568B.

Take a look at this link. I understand you are new to this but it should help you a little.
    http://www.incentre.net/incentre/frame/ethernet.html

4. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Wow...I was typing all that and you found the packaging...lol. Well, maybe another user will find it handy.

Now connect your xbox and PC with that cable and follow my tutorial. There is a protion for EvoX and AvaL...I'm sure you've realized that. Make sure that the xbox has a static IP address assigned to it as well as the LAN connection on your PC receiving the crossover cable.

If you don't have Static IPs both ways...you will not get a connection. I'm about to get off the net - bed time in my part of the world. I'll check sometime tomorrow when I get off to see how you did...so post. Good Luck.

5. dankad

dankad Member

it's a CAT6 cable? what the hell is a CAT6 cable?

6. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

@dankad
    CAT6 cable contains four pairs of copper wire and unlike CAT5, utilizes all four pairs. CAT6 supports Gigabit (1000 Mbps) Ethernet and supports communications at more than twice the speed of CAT5e, the other popular standard for Gigabit Ethernet cabling.

Twisted pair cable like CAT6 comes in two main varieties, solid and stranded. Solid CAT6 cable supports longer runs and works best in fixed wiring configurations like office buildings. Stranded CAT6 cable, on the other hand, is more pliable and better suited for shorter-distance, movable cabling such as "patch" cables.

[bold]ULTIMATELY:[/bold]It's better quality and more expensive.

7. dankad

dankad Member

o ok well i got a crossover cable today and i got everything worling,
    using FlashFXP but it only worked once.

8. JoHnNyY

JoHnNyY Guest

HEeey i have a modded xbox with the program exoX.
    and now i want to make a connection between my pc and xbox.
    but i dont know how to do that so please sombody explain that to me.
    i did many things from other forums but nothing worked.
    i am using a crosover cabel from my modem/router.
    greetSszZ

9. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

10. JoHnNyY

JoHnNyY Guest

heey thanxs but it didnt work:'(

11. xxHAZExx

xxHAZExx Guest

how do u change ur ip address for ur pc

12. death167

death167 Guest

hey normal xbox router cant ftp used ever program i can find
    i put in my xbox ip and xbox xbox like everones said failed to connect every time some one give me a link or some thing and it better work or im throwing my xbox away after i TORCER IT MUHAHAHAHAHA LOL PLEASE HELP

13. qnzrepa

qnzrepa Guest

HI IM RElly having trouble with this ftping crap. this is my

pc ifo:

ip:141.157.240.124
    subnet:255.255.255.0
    gateway:192.168.1.1

My Local Are Connetion 2 is set to this settings.

Xbox info

Ip: 192.168.1.200
    subnet:255.255.255.0
    Gateway:141.157.240.124

these are all setting i put from a source from this site but as u can see it styll didnt work.
    i was wondering if the problem could be that my drives are locked because on my evo dashboard under setting its says "security: enabled" and i cant change it.
    i have used about three different ftp clients none work or is it that the ethernet cord i am using to connect the xbox to my computer isnt the rite one? its called molex premise networks powercat c5e utp patch cord. PLLZZZZZZ SOMEONE HELP B4 ITS TOO LATE!!!!

14. xboxd00d

xboxd00d Member

to qnzrepa

I think you're using the wrong cable, u need a cat5 CROSSOVER (or crossed) cable, a patch lead is used to connect pc to router (or xbox to router), crossover cable goes from xbox straight into pc.

Hope this helps

15. qnzrepa

qnzrepa Guest

thanx alot for the help ure probably rite about the cord i didnt think it was the rite one iunt the first place.
    but can you tell me where i could get a crossover cable?
    thnx

16. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

@qnzrepa
    You can get a crossover cable at your local computer/electronic store. If you're not near one, try online at sites like NewEgg or Tiger Direct.

17. dhaniyo

dhaniyo Member

I got mine from radioshack

18. xboxd00d

xboxd00d Member

Also u can get just about anything off ebay :)

19. qnzrepa

qnzrepa Guest

Hi itz me again. styll having problems with this stuff. so here the situation: i got a cat5E crossover patch cable. my pc ip is 192.168.1.100 subnet:255.255.255.0 and gateway:192.168.1.1. this is the information set for my lan connection 2.

my xbox ip is 192.168.1.101 subnet:255.255.255.0 and gateway:192.168.1.100. all this information was custom set from some source from this site. but no matter wat ftp client i use it wont respond. i have evo with a xecutioner2. Could it be because the security for the the harddisk is enabled? PPPLLLZZZ HLPP!!!

20. qnzrepa

qnzrepa Guest

is the disk tray button on the xbox supposed to blink green and orange continuosly when the crossover cable is pluuged in to the pc and computer?oh and just a thought, is this whole crossover cable setup the same for dial up and dsl cable modem users?