1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't get my dvds to burn accurately

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by lilbro, Mar 30, 2007.

1. lilbro

lilbro Member

I have a HP DVD writer 740i with the HJ24 firmware update. I cannot get my drive to burn discs are the right speed. Everything always burns at 4x though my drive supports up to 16x for burning -Rs.

I've checked my IDE cables and I uninstalled and reinstalled my aspi drivers and I've reset my DMA. I got the latest firmware, I even tried flashing to the 840 firmware and the LG GSA-4166B102. The problem remained the same. Every once in a while I would burn something and it would burn at 16x then back to 4x for everything following it.

I was playing around with the nero cd-dvd speed 4.60 last night and some how I got it to read up to 16.4x with a quite a bit of speed fluctuations in the graph. I burned a disc at 16x and at 8x. The the 16x one wouldn't work right at all and the 8x had horrible skipping problems.

I use i've tried Imation -R, Maxim -R, Memorex +R and HP +R DL. Everyone once in a while I get something that works right but more often then my discs have errors. Can someone give me any information to help me out here?

2. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

You have some poor media. You need better.
    Try burning at 8X with no multitasking.
    Just to be sure there is no problem with Nero, try to burn with something else like ImgBurn.

3. lilbro

lilbro Member

I've tried burning with DVDecrytor, Nero, Discjuggler, Alcohol 120% and Imgburn. The speed is always glued at 4x. Though somtimes while burning with DVDecrytor/Imgburn the current writing speed will lower and jump tramendously. It will start at 4x then start going up .1 ever couple of seconds then fallt o like .1.7x then go back up and do that until it finishes

4. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

5. bahgee

bahgee Guest

Get some verbatims 8x-16x DVD+rs at the store to try it out. Verbs are good media. Get as few as you can to see if indeed media is the issue. If that is the problem i recommend purchasing from meritline or another internet store as prices are cheaper and you have more options. Or, It may be your dvd burner is bad. How long have you been burning? Do you have any other burning software so you can do process of elimination?
    Good idea trying imageburn to test it.

ps. Probably should always use good media in the future. IE. Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden etc.
    Good luck

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2007
  6. lilbro

lilbro Member

This is a copy of my Nero CD-DVD Speed Tests
    http://img61.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hpdvdwriter740bhj2430maui1.jpg

I got this to show 4x/8x/16x on write speeds last night but now its gone back to just 4x
    http://img79.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hpdvdwriter740bhj2430mamv1.jpg

7. lilbro

lilbro Member

I'm thinking this is a driver issue or something of the sort because I do get pretty decent burns with this media and the burner but I can't change speeds for thing that need certain speeds like backing games and stuff, they always stall a lot when I play then but I sometimes get perfect burns. Is there a way to force a drive to change burning speeds? I was actually hoping to lower the speed to burning at 2x since I've read that lowers burning speeds are more accurate.

8. lilbro

lilbro Member

I've had the burner for around a year and its done this since I took it out of the box. Oringally I could only get a max speed of 1.7x but I reset my DMA and fixed that but I can't get my currect speed. The main thing I wanna figure out is how to change burning speeds.

9. bahgee

bahgee Guest

If you checked nero out, and the burner did that since you've had it, i really dont know whats to tell you. Above my pay-grade so to speak. Someone will definetely know though. There are some sharp cats in here. Perhaps post a thread named differently with more emphasis on the main issue. I wish you good luck man.