1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't make an undistorted DVD in SoundTrax

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by gtennant, Feb 21, 2007.

1. gtennant

gtennant Member

I start up SoundTrax, make 10 empty tracks by using the INSERT TRACK feature, then import audio onto each of those 10 tracks. I then set the imported audio on the time line so one song fades into the next (not using and special effects or fades, just placing one track overlapping the previous). I Burn all this to CD and it sounds like cra#!

The distortion level is so high that I'm afraid of doing damage to my home CD player/speakers.

It certainly didn't sound that way in the headset when I played it all back?

Help me sound good again...

2. Guyy

Guyy Newbie

hiya,
    i'm kind of doing the same thing now, but instead of placing the tracks to overlap each other in the timeline...i do the full mixing in nero soundtrax, then export the whole mixed track to audio file, then import the audio file to my timeline.

and for precision, i calculate the length of my video file, then adjust the audio file accordingly in nero waveEditor (by cutting the edge off and adding fade effect) before adding it to timeline.

hope this helps

3. gtennant

gtennant Member

Hmm, video file? I'm not using video. I simply have distortion on the final CD when I burn the entire compilation. It doesn't matter whether I normalize on output, for single or entire project, it still sounds terrible when the CD is played back, but sounds fine in the SoundTrax tool itself.

Why should I have to create a single long audio file then burn that to CD? It should work as designed.

Something's out of whack here.

4. Guyy

Guyy Newbie

Sorry, Don't why i thought you were adding audio to a video file - i must have got my wires crossed somewhere.

In any case, try another media. Burn it onto another disc and compare the difference. Personally i use Verbatim.

5. gtennant

gtennant Member

I've tried RiData and Memorex (black) CDs. Both result in the same distortion.

I'll try Maxell RW next, since I have those here.

6. Fwfireman

Fwfireman Member

Just to through my 2 cents in here.......I too get audio distortion here and there. It appears to be in random places, length and degree of distortion.

All that leads me to believe it is in the "Burn" process and I have yet to figure it out.

I made some great and flawless Music CDs when I used iTunes to burn them. Not a glitch anywhere in any of them.

7. gtennant

gtennant Member

Yeah, I have used iTunes as well, without issue.. but, I'd sure like to use the tools in the Nero package, that I paid for...

8-^

8. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

What kind of distortion is it?

You might put it in WaveEditor and look at the waveform to see if it is clipping.

When I was using SoundTrax, I didn't put the track markers in until after I had imported the audio.

I also had a problem if I used compressed files to make the CD. The track audio and end markers would not stay aligned during burning. I had to use .wav (or .aif)files to keep them correct, but I was capturing from an LP.

9. gtennant

gtennant Member

These are .MP3 files of various bit rates. The distortion on the CD sounds like clipping, since it's excessively loud to begin with. It definately doesn't sound that way in the project screen, while working on out.

I have noticed that when each track plays, the level meter is maxed out, into the red. Reducing the overall volume by 3-4db reduces the playback volume considerably in the project.

I have not tried to burn the CD after the main volume was altered. I'll try that.

Thanks!