1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I cant quite grasp why this is happening

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by damhy, Dec 27, 2002.

1. damhy

damhy Member

I am currently in the process of wasting tons of DVD-Rs and I cant understand what is going wrong.

I guess I should explain what I am doing, I am trying this with two different films that need different procedures, so first film 1:

I have tryed ripping the disc in SmartRipper, the complete disc, which is a DVD5 so no problems with rip, go to nero, using the wizard, which is what i normally use(for simplicity), new dvd, other dvd, new dvd video. Drag all the files in to the VIDEO_TS folder, burn, stick it in my dvd player, it reads the disc and then says STOP. Tryed it in a friends player, does the same thing. Shove it in powerdvd works and treat, although the strage part is that the first Title sequence bit, is just a blank, black screen for say 5 seconds before it moves to the second title screen; weird.

I think lets waste another disc, so I do the whole thing again, have a little play in IFOEDIT, and descide to axe the menus etc, burn the disc, wont play in the dvd player(again), nor in someone elses player. Plays powerdvd.

I tried playing using power dvd reading the video_ts.ifo file, plays fine no title sequence problem, its there and not blank.

Then i gave the whole thing another try with DVD decrypter, same problems.

Same results really with film2, just its a dvd-9 so i had to make the ifoedit step from the start. I cannot understand why this is happening, it never did it before, and its costing me a fortune in blank dvds.

Any help greatfully appreciated

2. omegaboy

omegaboy Guest

Buy a dvdrw disc and you'll save alot! hehehe... When you use Ifoedit -> Vob extra, did u create new ifo files such as Vts_xx_x.ifo and Video_ts.ifo ?

3. damhy

damhy Member

I am sure I am trying to do it the same way I always did it, its just been a while and I cant quite remember what I am doing. The problem I have is that my DVD player wont read DVD-RWs and so unfortuately I cant use them to test if its going to work.

4. sublime77

sublime77 Member

If you use an RW disc first, at least you can try it in your PC first...

5. framerman

framerman Regular member

dahmy:

If you have a dvd-5 disc and want to copy it, why not copy in iso mode in dvd decrypter and then burn right back in dvd decrypter. It's the easiest thing in the whole world to do. BTW I agree with everyone else here, get at least one rw until you get the grasp of burning. This will save you a ton of headaches and money.

6. damhy

damhy Member

I do have dvd-rw and as I said the discs work in powerdvd so I cant understand why they dont in the real player, nevermind, but I'll give the dvd decrypter iso mode a go, thanks

7. framerman

framerman Regular member

Most times it will play fine on PowerDVD. I can't remember exactly what a certain thread I saw said about this situation, but it was something like this: Your computer reads the ifo in a different way than does your settop player. It will read the information in the file and play it accordingly. Your computer doesn't care, whereas your settop player does. I had burned alot of coasters before I realized that I wasn't getting the ifo's right. Make sure you get vts sectors as the last thing you do. This will correct the ifo's before you burn. Also try this website, it might help.

http://ifoedit.wh.fr0zen.com/guides.html
    http://mpucoder.kewlhair.com/derrow/index.html

8. damhy

damhy Member

I shall go through them links you told me about, i am sure that i am doing the vts sectors bit, but what your saying sounds about right, so maybe I have drifted off the path a bit somewhere in setting them up.

9. Otherone

Otherone Guest

After ripping to HDD, you need to convert the vob's to MPEG1, MPEG2(SVCD) or AVI. It plays in Power DVD because it is reading the vob. BUT, since you have a 1 layer <5gb dvd, you can use DVDDecrypter and copy from DVD in ISO mode, then open DVDDecrypter again, find the ISO u just made and use 'write" mode in ISO menu tab. Hit burn and there is a perfect copy of a DVD. But you need a DVD R, RW burner.
    For just VCD, use MPEG1 files using DVDx, or better, use DVDx 2.0. free.It does the ripping and re encoding the vob's to mpeg1, mpeg2, or AVI's I have a free tutorial at http://recall2.cust.nearlyfreespeech.net/tools/aiodvd2vcd.zip (about 600 kb)you can use to get started and learn how to do the basics. Is is not spam, banners or any funding asked for. Just something I threw together one night. It is similar to a program that "fools" are paying good money for ripp-off called "dvd copy plus pro" but much better and free too!