1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't understand video cards for gaming..

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Wyattspop, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Hey Gang,
    Dad here trying to help my boy enjoy his new hobby, PC games. He's 8 and already knows more than I do (I'm strictly a console/tablet gamer) I loaded up a game and the graphics are laggy, I'll assume it's because I bought him a stock PC not a gaming one. My desire is to beef up his PC rather than buy another new PC, I understand enough to know it will only do so much since the 2.8 Ghz will still be 2.8 Ghz with a more powerful video card.
    He's not playing super-intensive games, no FPS war games etc, he's 8.. he likes Slender man, Among the Sleep and mild horror games, Goat Sim etc So, here's what he's got, an HP P6803W
    Win 7 64 bit
    ATI Radeon HD4200
    AMD Anthlon II X2 220 Processor 2.8 Ghz
    RAM 4 GB and the PC is about 80% empty
    What card can I buy him that is reasonably priced to allow him to game without all the lagging we're seeing now? Any other additions? Shall I buy him a controller so he doesn't have to use the ASD keyboard to move?
    Thanks Ya'll
    Wyattspop

2. aldan

aldan Active member

the radeon hd7770 would perk it up and its to be had for around $114 usd.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I had a xt2400 it could play games up to far cry 2 on low settings,crysis 2 or far cry 3 not so much,originally it wouldn't play far cry 2 as the settings were set too high so have a go at adjusting them,it's done from within the game,boot the game then go to its settings,start with them all at low & adjust each one individually,certain aspects like shades & flora landscape i didn't care about,eventually found the sweet spot,chances are tho at some point a graphics card will be needed

5. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

someone told me other day they got a 1gb graphics card for $35 not sure what model but works great for them.
    standard 2gb graphics card should run most games.apparently (His) is a cheap brand in america (gigabyte) here in oz is cheap if you don't wanna pay extra for a brand name.
    i'd also increase the ram if you got enough slots.8gbs ram will make a big different in performance in the whole pc not just gaming.
    Also noticed you claim to be a console gamer, microsoft xbox 360 controller should work on pc (wired if you don't have blue tooth), ps3 controller will work on pc (wired or blue tooth dongle) ,using a ps3 controller i use a program called motioninjoy to set it up as an xbox 360 controller.

pc controllers don't really exist most pc games use an xbox 360 controller or some use will use logitech controllers aswell, no generic or middle ground for controllers unless you wanna run software to modify the drivers.

6. aldan

aldan Active member

hell im still running an hd4870 1gb gddr5 but i dont game.with the ops system this would probably do it but its a lot harder to find these days.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

8. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

9. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Thanks much

10. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

11. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

12. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Thanks much!

13. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

14. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

I remember you Scorp, think you helped me with my Homebrew, I also follow your other posts and have learned much, thanks!