1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't believe it!!!!!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by sweetm, Feb 9, 2007.

1. sweetm

sweetm Guest

Hey listen to this for my bad luck,

Ok got this xbox 360 with three red lights, found the code which was 0110, took apart the console, got a heat gun and just went over the chips for about 3 mins on low heat then 2 mins on high, ok connected everything to test, ended up with two lights code 0011, ok found out that the heat sink was not sitting tight on the board because i did not put the little washers back on, so had to fight to get the clip back on the bottom of it, then fired it back up, Yeah it worked, man the site of the 360 screen almost made me pee myself, ok left it running for a while, then turned off, came back in afew and ......Yeah still working great. this is where it gets good...
    put everything back together screwed the screws back in, case back together all that good stuff (yeah right) plugged it all back up,pressed it to turn on (with a nice big smile on my face) F*&k what the hell's happened, the son of a b%$!h as gone back to the three red lights and nothing else going on, so now i have it stripped down again and back were i started, what a bag of s*$t

2. Dindi304

Dindi304 Guest

So funny as i read this i was sayin yup did that mhhm that to and i was like o no u put it back together like me to crap something is gona happen to my 360 haha but na mine is still going good dude if worst comes to worst leave it open and make ur own little box a working 360 is a working 360

3. sweetm

sweetm Guest

ok update time, i took it all apart again!! messed around inside it's guts again!! plugged everything back in..... and it worked, left it running for a while, all was good, turned it off left it for a little while, turned back on still good. now i have just put the top and bottom and face plate back on, still running.

ok i never tried to run a cd or dvd before i put the case back on, but after a few seconds it starts to freeze, so i turn it off leave it then turn it back on with the eject button, so i can take the cd out, then it runs ok, but thats just on the dashboard.

so now i am thinking hmmm i wonder if it could be a bad dvd drive?
    what do you think?

4. JThomas05

JThomas05 Guest

so it only freezes when you put a dvd in?

5. GCFANATIC

GCFANATIC Member

top tip

buy a new one, hopefully not benq! swap the internals.

take it back

get a refund

easy

6. sweetm

sweetm Guest

ok update time : i have fixed my 360!!!!!

well fingers crossed, this is what i did, and this might help others who have the three red lights also.

first thing i did was to check the error code, then took the xbox completly apart, took out the motherboard and took a heatgun to it,
    making sure to cover the big caps and platic parts with foil so not to burn and dameage them,
    started of with a low heat, moving in circle motions over the board,
    then put the heat higher and running it over the main cpu (make sure you take the heat sink off first) always work in slow circle motions, and keep moving the gun around the board over to the ram and other chips, i did this for about 20-30 mins, then without touching the board (very important not to move or touch the board)
    let it cool for about 30 mins to 1 hour, then you need to build your xbox, take things slow no need to rush, ok i went to walmart and bought a cooling system, the pelican cooler, your box sits inside it on it's side, before turning your 360 on just turn the cooler on (which plugs into the back usb port) wait about 20-30 mins then turn the xbox on, if all is well you should see your dashboard, now just leave it on dashboard for a while to make sure it does not start to freeze up or the picture starts to go all wierd, if all seems well try a game or dvd (i watched a dvd had no problems).
    at this point things have been running great, hope this will be some help to others, i still think you should try to find the link which shows the video of the heat gun fix, it's easier to see it being done than someone trying to explain it.
    the 360 i fixed was one that i bought off ebay for about $100, so i knew it was already in the three light state, it was my idea to buy it broken and to try and fix it, my wife thought i was mad, and said i should have just bought a new one, but i told her that getting one already broken and fixing it was the thrill. hmmm i am MAD LOL

7. bazthegun

bazthegun Member

all power to you for being brave dude

8. Dindi304

Dindi304 Guest

Hey buddy i did the same thing with my xbox 360 and it works perfectly to i was so excited to see it turn on and then i left it runing for 2 days and then i ran it through a on and off test for 2 hours. Seems to be a for sure fix i plan on buying one from ebay like you with the error and fixing it and having 2 xboxs lets see how that goes.

9. sweetm

sweetm Guest

glad to hear it worked for you as well, i bought splinter cell double
    agent the other day to test game play, i had it freeze a couple of times, but now it seems to have sorted it self out. i just hope it stays working fine. ebay is the best place to find a cheap broken 360
    alot of times people just can not be bothered with all the hassles to try and fix it, but if your like me and like to get inside of things then i highly recommend it. might try and get another one cheap, my wife won't like that LOL, but then again she knows what i'm like ha ha

10. larry55

larry55 Member

whoa, that's awesome! I have a Japanese system, but now maybe I can get a US one as well. That way I can play both import and US games w/o getting any possible Xbox Live bans that modding a system may cause....

EDIT: BTW, is there a video of this somewhere? Also, what exactly is a "heat gun" anyways?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  11. pushur

pushur Member

[​IMG]

12. larry55

larry55 Member

13. larry55

larry55 Member

BTW, is this a reliable permanent method? Because as you can tell from my previous post I'm interested in getting a broken US 360 and fixing it.

14. sweetm

sweetm Guest

well at the moment my 360 is running great, the idea of the heat gun is to heat the solder on the chips , thus making it flow a little, don't go at it for too long, what i did was have it on a low setting at first and just make little circles around some of the chips on the board and underneath for about maybe 3 - 4 mins, then i put it on the higher setting and work on the main big chips, always making circle motions, don't get the gun too close, it gets VERY hot, and by hot i mean hot, i burnt a hole in my arm!
    keeps doing this for about 5 mins just on the top side, then let it cool down for 30 mins, re-attach evrything and hey presto your box should hopefully be running again.

15. sweetm

sweetm Guest

OK update time, well my 360 is back to freezing and then giving me the three red lights, i know that using the heat gun works for a while but even with the cooler by pelican it still starts to freeze and go back to the red lights, i am open for suggestions from anybody!