1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I dont know where to post this !

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by buttmunch, Jan 17, 2005.

1. buttmunch

buttmunch Member

Hey I found you guys very helpfull.but here goes

I am trying to get video files from a newserver and time and time again when I go to extract the rar files it says I have about 20-39 % corupt files and they show a smaller size.... can I fix theese with the par files I dont know how to use the par files?? is there a better software than winrar that will help me beet theese bugs??? please help....

2. Batman400

Batman400 Member

Its not WinRar that program is just doing its job and the file your downloading is probally corupt, did you try from another site like Limewire they have a download for movies I just went there and searched for catwoman and in 5secs had 100 difernt downloads to link to try 1 and see if you have the same problem there

Good Luck Batman400

3. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Depending on whether the extension of the par files is par or par2, you need either smartpar (par) or quickpar (par2) to recover the corrupt files. Search for the one you need, and read up on how to use it. It will probably take care of you. Do keep in mind that if the percentage of corrupt files is too great, not even par files will help you out. With smartpar, you need at least as many par files as the number of corrupted parts to the download. With quickpar I think it depends on the number of total data blocks, but the point is the same.

Good luck.

4. buttmunch

buttmunch Member

THANKS BIZILLA YOUR RIGHT BUT i GOT HELP LAST NITE YEAH ITS A SEPERATE SOFTWARE THAT FIXES THE FILES APRECIATE YOUR HELP ANYWAY...

BOY ARE THEY SWEET....

5. buttmunch

buttmunch Member

NOW FOR MY NEXT QUESTION.. ARE SPEEDS OF 50 KB/S ACCETABLE OR SHOULD i BE USING ANOTHER SERVER FOR MY NEWS??? IT SEEMS TO TAKE A VERY LONG TIME TO GET FILES.. iT IS A CONSTANT 50 .. A NORMAL VIDEO FILE CAN TAKE 3-7 HOURS

6. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Read the forum rules. No all caps.

7. buttmunch

buttmunch Member

sorry dude shoulda read the rules

also I figured out the speed thing.. so thanks anyway im using 3 servers at once and getting 150 kb/s now :)

8. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

What software are you using to access your news server? You shouldn't have to access three news servers simultaneously to maximize your bandwidth.

You wouldn't be using newsbin by any chance, would you? In one of the options settings, there is a "network" tab, and on that tab there is a setting to throttle (limit) bandwith. If that is checked, it is limiting your bandwith. Uncheck it, and you should get maximum throughput from a single news server.

9. buttmunch

buttmunch Member

I am using news leecher right now in the 20 or so day trial I am a newbie.. maybe ill check the options closer... I found the software really user friendly..

thanx