1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Dont Know...

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by mthrfckrz, Jan 31, 2007.

1. mthrfckrz

mthrfckrz Member

i recently got into the whole backup idea and i still have not made 1 that works. the program i load is swap magic 3.6 w/ the slim kit..after it stops spinning the cd i take it out & switch it with the backup and i get a 'not a valid ps2 disc' so then i thought it was my burner and i went out to best buy and got myself a LG since ots of people say its good and its a model GAS-H22L and i still cant get them to work.. i have burned in every type of speed of 12x and under i even went out and bought like 5 diferent types of media and nothing.. here are the disc specs..

Verbatim 16x DVD+R
    (Disc ID: MCC-004-00)

TDK 16x DVD+R
    (Disc ID: CMC MAG-M01-00)

SONY 16x DVD+R
    (Disc ID: SONY-D21-00)

MAXELL 16x DVD-R [GOLD COLOR]
    (Disc ID: 0@P-!-00)
    (Manufacturer ID: RITEKF1)

MAXELL 16x DVD+R [LIGHT BLUE]
    (Disc ID: CMC MAG-M01-00)

FUJIFILM 8x DVD+R
    (Disc ID: RICOHJPN-R00-01)

2. chanman1

chanman1 Regular member

what are u using to back it up

3. mthrfckrz

mthrfckrz Member

ohh it never posted..

i have used

NERO 7
    ALCOHOL 120%
    ImgBURN
    DVD Decrypter

4. chanman1

chanman1 Regular member

weird, i use dvddecryptor and it works every time. what speed are u burning?

5. mthrfckrz

mthrfckrz Member

i've done everything from 12x down..

6. steimy

steimy Active member

98% of those discs are +R though. You should have bought
    8X DVD-R if you can find them. Unless you did your research before buying that burner and you know it can booktype media (which some LG burners can), then -R will be your best bet. If you can booktype then that would be the first thing i tried.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/409365
    set the burner to booktype all DVD+R as DVD-Rom and it will copy them in the most compatible format for a PS2.
    There are a lot of factors to why games may not work.
    1. even on 16X discs i still burned them at 4X with DVD Decrypter and they worked. And the Verbatim should work best out of all of the media you listed as they use MCC dye and not CMC Magnetics.
    2. Make sure you are using an original copy of Swap Magic and make sure you use the correct one. The CD one is for CD based games only, which most PS2 games are not. So for 95% of your games you use the DVD version.
    3. make sure your slim kit is installed correctly. If it is not then it resets every time you open it and it will always give you the "insert a valid PS2" message.
    4. make sure the game you are trying to copy doesn't need to be patched or rebuilt at swapmagicfix.xom before you burn it.

those are some of the most common reasons that they may not work. With the new burner i rule out that as a problem. and with the Verbatim discs i rule out media as a problem too.
    So try reinstalling the slimkit, then using the verbatim discs. Use the guide i gave you to booktype the DVD+R to DVD-Rom and burn them at 4X speed with DVD Decrypter.

7. mthrfckrz

mthrfckrz Member

thank you again for all the help man.. im gonna throw the slimkit out the window and go with the DMS4 Pro like u said and it doesnt let me DVD ROM the DVD-R... and the verbatim dont work either so yeah...so i have 2 DVD Burners that burn movies great but not games lol.. hahaha yeah th eCD i got has alot of programs in it man.. its called Ultimate collection V2.0. it does have Swap Magic 3.6 plus and i tried everything and nothing but i noticed on cogswap that it said my media was a CDRom not a DVD... maybe that could be it?

8. Andrew691

Andrew691 Regular member

That would be why then, Ultimate Swap is on a CD so you need to do a TOC refresh to load DVD games. When it loads to the Swap Magic screen do a proper eject, e.g let the ps2 know its lid has been opened(by uncovering the sensors), now put in a big PS2 game (original) around 4.35gb and wait for your system to recognize it, now use the slimkit to swap out the disc for one of your backups.
    Would really recommend still getting that DMS4 though makes things so much easier, or at least send you Ultimate Swap disc back and get them to send you a real Swap Magic.

9. mthrfckrz

mthrfckrz Member

hey but i have heard that when you tamper with the sensors and since lots of people have them taped down it triggers something on the board and it causes it to stop spinning or the lens will fry.. thats what happened to my other ps2... it has happened to a lot of other people who have used this slim kit device on ur ps2.. the ps2 is boobytrapped i believe... im ordering my DMS 4 Pro in a bit.. so everyone forget the slimkit..

10. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

It also really depends on the version of your PS2. My friend's v3. PS2 can easily read games beyond 4.35gb without the need to rebuild the disk, and it didn't matter what media, whether it's from Memorex or Sony; but if you're trying to get those big sized games to work on a slimline PS2 like the v17, it'd be recommended to rebuild the game by shrinking and toning down the overall size because the laser can be completely picky. And don't forget! Make sure you know where the 'magic switch' is because the location of it is slightly different compared to the v14 and so I believe...

Did your PS2's lens on your other PS2 actually fried or what? (can it even play original games or is it completely dead?) And always make sure you install the tools properly, otherwise; no matter how well you've burnt your game/s, the PS2 won't bother if you don't properly block the sensors. I had a similiar properly due to both installation and the disc I've been using.

11. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

oops, sorry for the double post

meant similar problem from my previous post XD

I recommend doing what steimy said; (he's of great help, ain't he? helped me with a question of mine too =P) but also, there's a radical solution. (well not really) If you really care about the warranty and already have one, then forget about reading this, but if you don't care, you could always considered opening the PS2 and gently cover the magic switch, making sure it's held down firmly, if you're still having problems and willing to keep using the keys. But strangely, believe or not, I had a similar problem on a v13 PS2. ( a black slim, forgot the version #) Because my keys didn't hold down the little switch well enough, even after I snuggly fitted the piece in and everything, including placement and such from the outside, it wasn't strong enough. As strange as it sounds, I believe the sensors weren't covered too well so I improvised, opening the darn thing without breaking the warranty (the new v17 PS2s I believe have a sticker on the one of the screw mounts now)

And yes, I always bring around my discs to my friend's house to play since it's easy to do on theirs and I believe the media I'm using is good... I'll wait and see though (refering to a thread I made before)

12. steimy

steimy Active member

oh, and just so you understand what i mean. You can not booktype a DVD-R disc. You can only booktype a DVD+R disc.
    I just wanted you to look at the guide to see if your burner was listed under that DVD Decrypter setting. If it is then you can booktype any DVD+R disc to DVD-Rom which will make them much more compatible with your PS2 (original discs are DVD-Rom)

You may be able to get your magic switches working with the whole TOC refresh deal. But truthfully if you have the money to get a chip installed do it. You will be so much happier in the long run.
    No swapping, no TOC refresh, no screen cut off with games from other regions, it will play DVD9 (dual layer) games unlike swap magic, no rebuilding games (unless they do not fit on DVD5 and you have no DVD9). It is just an all atound better solution.

If you are in the US then check out Teammodders.com, they sell the chips and do installs. That is where i always get my work done.
    DMS4 Pro SE is a great choice. Another one would be the Crystal Chip V2.0 or the Matrix Infinity green dot. So make sure you do some research and ask around before you get one installed just to make sure you get one that does everything you want. Like a crystal chip is better if you play games online. A DMS4 Pro is great for people who use cheats or want to use a hard drive.

P.S. thanks for the kind words Z3120. I try and help whenever i can. Besides, i was a newbie too once and the people here taught me so much.