1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't think it's possible to play PAL games on a USA PS2.

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by Davv111, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Davv111

Davv111 Regular member

I play my japanese games fine on my pstwo with my fliptop lid and SW 3.3 but pal games will boot up but they won't have any color just black and white and the image is poor. This includes such games as CMR 03 04 05 WRC 2 3 4 and Richard burns rally. The thing is I also got Ford racing 3 from the UK when I start the game it gives me the option to play at 50 or 60 hz. I choose 60 hz and all of the sudden the image great. It's the only game out of the bunch that ask that type of question when you start it up. Is there anything I can do for the other games? thanks

2. Krevnik

Krevnik Guest

Okay, there are a couple things you can try (taken from another thread):

1) Using SM 3.3, for video mode, select 'NTSC' rather than Normal or PAL. This will 'apply' a patch to the game when it loads the game to force it into NTSC mode.

2) You can search this forum for another thread using the term 'NTSC Patch' which explains how to patch an ISO of the game to do this NTSC and Y-Fix patch to the game itself before you load it with SM 3.3.

However, I am having difficulty with a particular PAL game I imported:
    Worms: Forts Under Siege is one of those tricky games... It loads and runs fine if I load it as PAL, but it fails to load if I use SM 3.2 to load it as NTSC, more specifically, it gets partway through the game screens and locks up (the SEGA logo). I ripped and patched it with the Y-Fix + NTSC patches, and the backup copy fails to load (gets to loading, but just downright fails and goes nowhere from SM 3.2). The best thing I can figure out is that it will accept the NTSC patch, but not the Y-Fix (since it has some tricky screen-adjust code). Anyone have ideas on this?

3. Davv111

Davv111 Regular member

thank you very much it works. By the way I was using the orginal games not backups.

4. Krevnik

Krevnik Guest

Well, I only get imports myself, but some won't load properly through SM 3.2... such as Worms Forts. I almost wish I knew if someone was successfully using Worms Forts (PAL) with SM3.3