1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't understand it

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Mort81, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Sometimes not always when I make a backup (movie only) it will not play on my stand-alone player. It will load and recognize the disc, but when I press play it goes back to the play menu and will advance no further. The strange thing is the same backup will play on both drives on my pc. If make the same backup full disc, it then plays fine on everything. Most backups I would rather have movie only to delete previews and for better quality. Eg: Starwars IV movie only plays fine on everything, Starwars V movie only won't play on my stand-alone player but will on my pc. Starwars V full disc plays fine on everything. Any suggestions? TIA.

2. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

How are you creating the movie only backups?

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Mort81,

What media are you using ?

Pete

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I'm useing same media (ricohjpn R01) and same proggy with every app identicle accept full disc and re-author with main title only. I remove ad-ware & spy-ware prior to every rip/burn and always delete any prior vidio files before making a new backup.

There must be something in the menu titles that if not backed up won't instruct my stand-alone player where to go or what to do next when I press play on some movie only backups.

I'm going to try it again leaving the warning screens and see what happens. What do you think Pete? I'm getting sick of throwing away my beloved Ricohjpn's, especially when it's not their fault. TIA.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey Buddy, you should know by now to use a RW disc until we straighten it out -

I'm thinking you're right about losing something when you edit in DVD Shrink -

Soooo, I'm thinking, Nero's recode2 to do your editing as it keeps your menu's intact. Why not give that a try -

Let me know how you make out :)

Pete

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Strange, I put back in those junk warning screens and now it plays ok. I don't have nero recode2. How much does it cost and will it do as good of job as shrink with quality settings checked?

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I found it as low as $39.99. Yes it has a 2X encoding setting. Mr. DVD Shrink did both proggys.It also gives you working menus after re-authoring :)

You get a full working proggy for a free 30-day trial. Here's the link -

http://www.ahead.de/us/632261771103079.php

After the 30-day trial, run Nero's registry cleaner and re-install and you'll have it for another 30-days.

Recode2 is one of the best under-used proggys around and well worth the $$$$.

Cheers,

Pete

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Thanks pete,
    I'll try the trial version in a few days and then I'll probably get back with you as far as where to get the nero registry cleaner when my trial period runs out. Thx again.

9. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Thanks Pete'

Your help and knowledge is greatly appreciated.