1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I DOWNLOADED THESE .01 .02 /.001 .002/.part1.rar .part2.rar FILES....what do i do?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by hursty, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Cinch

Cinch Regular member

I'm about ready to give up on this dang thing... ugh.

I did use a newsgroup... hope that's ok.

I don't understand what you mean by trying to find the first RAR file. I thought that was what I have been doing, but it never works.

I keep getting some "Diagnostic message" telling me I need a certain file and I browse and select the one it says and then it ends.

Can you guys tell I don't know what I am doing?

:)

Thanks again for trying to help. Hopefully I can make this work, but I am starting to give up hope.

2. rav0

rav0 Member

The first file is named "dragon-jfkdvd.rar" but on your computer at shows up as "dragon-jfkdvd" with the books icon, reason is that your computer is set to hide known filename extensions (you can change this in Control Panel > Folder Options). When you open that in Winrar, Winrar will show the files that are inside the archive (the archive is the set of 90 files that you have). When you try to extract the files from the archive by drag and drop, Winrar should detect all the parts itself and extract the entire file for you to wherever you dropped it. I take it that you have tried to do this when the disgnostic message appears. The message might be saying that Winrar cannot find all the parts of the archive, check what the actual error that Winrar tells you is.

3. hursty

hursty Active member

Download quickpar,install it,and then use it to check the intergrity of the files
    (open the smallest PAR file with it),and run it

4. Cinch

Cinch Regular member

Hursty,

Please forgive my ignorance here.

I downloaded that program, and put the smallest par2 file into the "Filename" section.

Then, you say to 'run' it... not really sure what that means.

Do you mean click the 'create' button?

If that's what you mean I did that and it said 100%. If there is something else I need to do with it let me know.

Thanks again for the help.

5. hursty

hursty Active member

quickpar is used to check and repair files if needed,most of the time if you use a good newsgroup provider,its not needed,and quickpar doesnt need to do anything
    to use quickpar,basically you just install it,it wil ask if you want to associate par files with quickpar,which i guess you already did
    From then on,all you do is right click on the smallest par file,and select "open with quickpar"
    It should run a check,will will take a few secs/maybe a minute or so
    One of the progress bars will go blue "100%".the other will say "repair not needed"

You do not need to enter the options tab and create anything

If you still stuck,come onto the MIRC channel #ad_buddies

There is a link in my sig
    If i am not around,there should be somebody

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  6. mpenney

mpenney Regular member

Okay,
    I right clicked the .zip file and selected extract here and it converted them to an .avi file.

Is this the file type I want to use when converting it to an .iso image in DVD Flick?

7. mpenney

mpenney Regular member

I'm reading through the guide and it is telling me to change the User defined Extensions and add .001 in the settings.
    What exactly does this do?

8. rav0

rav0 Member

Yes. You can load the avi file into DVD Flick.

This setting instructs Winrar to analyse files named with the "001" extension as archives.

9. mpenney

mpenney Regular member

So is this a nesessary step?

10. crcca

crcca Guest

spam removed

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2008
  11. rav0

rav0 Member

This step does not affect the capabilities of Winrar. However, this step means that if you download archive files with this extension, you can use Winrar was you do normally with other archive files. If you do not complete this step, to use the files in Winrar you will need to load them manually.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Don't spam the forums.

13. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Buh Bye crcca

14. euro2069

euro2069 Member

can someone please post the step by step pics from page one as most are not working.

15. taxcarp

taxcarp Member

I need to do the inverse, but the version of winrar i have compress the files into file.part.rar, so can anyone tell me what version of winrar o program is required to split into file.001, file.002, etc. thanks

16. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

You don't say what version you have, in WinRAR 3.70 you choose a split volume size and then you click the advanced tab and check "use old style volume names". You can do this in all versions after they changed the default split volume name style.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  17. federxv

federxv Member

hey ok so it happens that i extracted the first rar file i got before i ticked the iso box and now i have an iso file in a directory...is it useful in any way? i mean can i go on from here or do i have to "re-extract" the file now that i have unticked the box?

18. rav0

rav0 Member

Easiest way is to burn the iso as a CD/DVD (this ISO is a "disk image" and contains a layout of files on the CD/DVD).

You can also extract the files out of the iso, and you will have the files that would have been on the CD/DVD.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  19. Klipp13

Klipp13 Member

I'm hoping people still check this, I'm trying to burn a dreamcast game and i cannot choose extract here, like it says on the first page. and with the pitures not showing on my computer i cannot follow the directions on what to do next. I've wasted about 10 blank CDs and id greatly appreciate if someone can help me. Also when i click on .rar file it brings me to a new folder with a .cdi file, ive tried burning that but it does not work. please help.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Do you actually have winrar installed? If you do, you may wish to reinstall it.