1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel like I am an a** hole

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by rayboy, Dec 11, 2004.

1. rayboy

rayboy Regular member

To Dawners.

I recently post a report about SONIC media from shop4tech, I have burned this media with my Pioneer DVR108 (and always set at speed 8X), after burned I played some of them to make sure it's a good burn. And this media seem working fine for me, I did not pay attention on the FAKE TYG02 that people post in several diferent forums.
    Yesterday I gave my friend one disc so he can check-out before make a purchase, after he make a burned he called and tell me that "there are many block when play back" I came to his house today and did another burn, because I want to see with my real eye, and YES, the burn went well, we even make sure to burn at 2X speed, but when play back there are many block/freeze, we did the same burn with differce media, and the disc played OK. So it must be the Sonic media.
    More info, My friend has an old model of Pioneer DVR 105 (not 108 like me).

I feel like I am an a** hole when I re-read my posts on:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/132744
    and
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/133431

I do not want to post the false information, I just post what going on. So if you have a old model burner careful when use the Sonic brand. But for me I am still using this media because:
    - the price.
    - it's work fine on my burner.
    - My Sonic back-up will be degrade, maybe yes, but by the time it's degrade it will be no longer CD nor DVD everything will be on Flash-mem.

2. Kingd

Kingd Guest

rayboy: That is mighty big of you to admit to your mistake. Just curious, did you try to play the disks he burned on your burner? In any case, it seems absurd to think that while most TY branded media sell in a medium to high price range, that suddenly one brand could appear and charge 10$ less per 100 without any of the TY brands lowering their prices to compete. It's basic economics. Just like when Blockbuster entered the dvd rental wars and dropped their prices, Netflix had to follow suit to be competitive. The same is true with Media. The fact that most TY ID's disks are still relatively high priced is a sign that the lower priced TY's are most likely fakes.

3. rayboy

rayboy Regular member

====================================================
    Just curious, did you try to play the disks he burned on your burner?
    ====================================================
    No , I did not play the disc he burn on my burner.
    I/we plays the disc he burn on DVD player, CyberHome CH-DVD 300, and we saw block&freeze, and I have the same CyberHome DVD player, I check some DVD that I burn on this player and they OK.

TY inc. has facilities in: United States, Japan, Singapore, Korea, China, Philippines, Taiwan, Malaysia and Mexico. Their Recordable Media Group made CD/DVD and the other Groups made electronic components (I get this info on TY inc web site http://www.t-yuden.com/corporate/index.cfm)

- If TY inc. knows Sonic and .... fake the TY DVD code why don't TY inc. call for a law suit ???
    - Why TY inc. keep quiet about this fake TY code ??? is that because there is not fake TY, they are low grade or reject TY DVD blank that make out side of Japan ???
    - How many facility to make CD/DVD blank ? there is one in Japan for sure (made-in Japan), does TY inc also made CD/DVD in China, Taiwan and .... ???
    - Does TY instead of throw away their low grade or reject DVD blanks, they sell those disc to other Company like Sonic and ..... ????

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  4. tomripley

tomripley Member

You could also try upgrading the firmware in his burner, especially if he's still using the original version.

I've never seen any reference to them making media anywhere else than Japan, but who knows? They certainly might do so in the future, given the way prices are heading. Outsourcing seems to work well for Verbatim, so they might choose the same route.

As for faking the media code, I'm not really sure about the legal status. Most of the discs with a "fake" TYG code aren't marketed as Taiyo Yuden, nor even as "made by Taiyo Yuden". Usually the media code is just mentioned, and then people can draw their own conclusions.

However, I think the real point here is that Taiyo Yuden has never promised anyone that all discs with a TYG0X code will be great. They only make that promise for stuff sold under their own brand, which would be "That's" in Asia and Taiyo Yuden in the rest of the world.

Regarding the Sonic media this thread is about, I personally wouldn't burn anything vaguely important on them. Perhaps you could run a cdspeed test on one of your burns and post the result here? Would give us some indication of the burn quality.

You can grab the program at http://www.cdspeed2000.com/ (it's free). Start the program and press F2. Then let it finish and post a screenshot of the graph.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  5. kchev

kchev Regular member

don't worry about it rayboy
    everybody has their own opinion and everybody makes mistakes

6. davea

davea Member

RAYBOY; Don't be so hard on Yourself.You saw a good deal like Myself and went for it .I bought the Shop4Tech 8x Media and am very happy with Them I also have had No And again I say No problems With Playback or Burns That I've made using the Sonic's.Since I have the original's it's cost effective to use them as long as they may or may not last.By the time if and when they degrade I'll just pull out the stored original and Back up another copy.SORRY if other's think so strongly about about a .33 disc. To defend Shop4Tech They Never Claimed that the their disc are anything but Sonic Branned, there is no mention by them to sell what everyone is saying are fake TYGO2's disc they simple state what they are Sonic Inkjet printable 8x DVD- Media. I am very pleased with the ones I have.I've scanned Them just to see how they looked on Nero Speed test and DVD Info they came out just as good as the Fugi's TYGO's I have.In the end who's right and who's wrong about them turning into dust, only time will tell, but for Now I'm enjoying My Backup's that I have made with these disc and as long as they work for You I hope you do the same.Enjoy

7. davea

davea Member

RayBoy by the way Cyberhome DVD players have Many different Firmware that they use which can affect playback.http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/check out this site if you are interested.

8. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

rayboy, maybe all is not wasted. What standalone DVD player do you have? My Sony works around bad DVDs that a Cyberhome player might have trouble reading. Do the Sonics play well on your PC DVD player?

9. tomripley

tomripley Member

Could I get you to do another scan (the older the burn the better) and post a screenshot of the result? It's not that I don't believe you, I'm simply curious.

10. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You're a stand up fella in my book rayboy. I know I've had to stick my foot in my mouth on several occasions. When DVD43 version 2 came out it was found that after a period of time users were asked to pay for it. I looked at the README for version 2 and it said it was free so I started shooting my loud ass mouth off about it every chance I got only to find out the README was false. My foot tasted real bad too :)