1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i get cant read disk after installing wiikey

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by elibelly, Jun 18, 2007.

1. elibelly

elibelly Member

HI there i have just recently installed my wiikey and burned prince of persia on a dvd (infinity dvd-r i think at 2x) i put it in the wii and it gave me cant read disk but my orignal game wii sports still works do i have to change settings or install a software after installing the wiikey or should it just work straight away? are the dvds im using copatiable for the wii or do i need a best one? is there a way of checking if my wiikey works (if i soldered correctly? please help me out here really appreicate it thanks alot

2. thugsrus

thugsrus Member

3. elibelly

elibelly Member

i think ive tried that i burned it on a dvd, switched on the wii then inserted the dvd and the dvd spins and then it says can not read disk.

4. thugsrus

thugsrus Member

Try burning it once more, confirm its the right size and try again if it doesn't work, its a soldering problem because you cant get any Backups to work

5. elibelly

elibelly Member

do you know if the dvd im using (infiniti dvd -r) is compatibal if they are ok to use

6. thugsrus

thugsrus Member

actually, im not sure...im having problems with Dynex dvd +r 16x atm

though sony DVD+rs work fine

but yea try another kind of disk before resoldering ur chip

7. asmo79

asmo79 Member

I'm having the same problem I install wiikey but it will not read any burned disk. I;ve dloaded the boot disk but when i click on the bat file it makes a 7mb iso file that is for cd's not dvd's? any idea what im doing wrong

8. ackza

ackza Member

Hey I had the same problem! It made a stupid 7mb ISO and would only give me the option to burn as a CD. Just delete the dumb iso and redo the .bat, it gave me a 4.5 gb file just now! I swear I just gave that a trya nd it worked about 30 seconds before I read your post!

Now if someone could just help me with my problem.......Wiikey backup loading help please!

9. NDarkness

NDarkness Regular member

Alright PEOPLE:

If you are sure that you installed the Wiikey correctly but cannot get your backups to work, then it might have to do with your media. The best DVDs to use are Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, and from what I heard Maxell. And make sure to burn with ImgBurn at 4X speed.

10. ackza

ackza Member

I had heard from many people here that SONY DVDR+ works really well with no mistakes or some 3 letter acronym i guessed meant like dud?

11. jackacid

jackacid Member

ATTENTION!!

SONY does NOT make dvdr's
    MAXELL does NOT make dvdr's
    IMATION does NOT make dvdr's
    MEMOREX (god help us) does NOT make dvdr's

you play roulette when you buy a dvd as to it's maker
    I got a 50 stack of Maxell DVD-R that are manufactured by Ritek
    code F01 and found the same manufactured disks in a 100 stack of fujifilm. Ritek F01 disks work great and are the most common. I believe they are even found in Memorex -R disks.

late posting, but integral nonetheless.
    Don't burn over 4X
    Hope this helps.
    Ritek does make dvdr's
    Verbatim does make dvdr's
    Tayo Yuiden does make dvdr's
    You get any of those and you are getting 100% manufactured media by the brand tagged.

Stay away from CMC (if they still exist) and Ridata.

In bestbuy/futureshop all you're paying for is the name on the box. Goto blank media distributors for certified media.

12. elite22sg

elite22sg Member

13. Ashhong

Ashhong Member

Stay away from Ridata? You say Ritek is good, and I have Ritek Ridata disks...are those bad? I've been having a crapload of trouble with them.

How do you know the code on the disk? And that its F01 or G05 or whatever people say is good?

Where are blank media distributors? If I buy verbatim from Staples, im getting Verbatim right? Can you tell me if this disk should be ok?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817130993

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  14. jackacid

jackacid Member

Ridata is different from Ritek. To avoid confusion, go with those verbatim they'll work great.
    Verbatim on the box is Verbatim on the disc.

If you use imgburn you may have gotten dvdinfopro with it as well. This program will give you the manufacturer and code for the disc you purchased.

I usually find blank media distro in a business district if you're in a major city. Otherwise online is a good place to go. Like I say. You won't find Maxell, or Memorex there, because they don't manufacture disks. They just put their label on there.

If you buy Verbatim anywhere, you are getting verbatim. period. they manufacture their own discs and stand behind their product. Shelf life is longer too.

Again don't burn over 4X. It's just safer that way. Actually, only burn at 4X because I even had a problem with a 2X burner. If a verbatim disc can't be read, it's your burn speed, or your chip. it's not the disc. so that can help narrow down a solution if you're having an issue.

Hope this helps. :)

(Also I've read Prince of Persia backup is not playable with a wiikey chip. I've also had no success with that game. Waiting for update.)

15. Ashhong

Ashhong Member

i went and got a 25 pack from bestbuy because i didnt want to wait, and burned one game, and it plays perfectly :)

the only thing is for the first time, it had some kind of verify error using IMGBURN. I came back after a while and saw this error message, cant remember what it said, but i just cancelled the process and the game was all burnt and ready to go. its probably not a big deal, but any ideas?

thanks! :)

16. jackacid

jackacid Member

I'm going to guess it tried to verify written data. Which is a task you can deselect before you start burning. Unable to read this data would cause that error screen. Because your PC can't read wii disks. (unless you have that specific LG DVDROM)

17. Ashhong

Ashhong Member

ah but, it never did that with my Ritek Ridata disks

It's no big deal. I thought I read about someone else having that problem too. as long as my games work, im happy. Any ideas for a D2C wii?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  18. jackacid

jackacid Member

Mine's modded on a d2c board
    I had to get a soldering pro attach to the d2c though after I exposed the lines.

YOu can also try a trace line pen
    or a rear defog window paint and brush to use the copper paint and reconnect the legs. They're so close though.......

19. Ashhong

Ashhong Member

what?? all ive heard is taht a D2C doesnt allow any mod chips to work. it just sounds like you have the D2B with legs cut off, no?

20. jnaks

jnaks Regular member

eh, hold up. Verbatim has many of their lines subcontracted to Taiyo Yuden (the originator of CDR). Not that Taiyo is a bad company, in fact it's probably one of the best. Verbatim is not ALWAYS Verbatim-made. A good quality disc to be sure, but your statement is misleading. It's a common practice for many retail-available CD/DVDR brands to basically rebrand someone else's product, and Verbatim is no exception. Taiyo Yuden would be the opposite, which is why their discs usually come in generic cupcakes with little more than a paper label -- most of their work is for other companies.