1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have 3.03 OE-C.. What should I upgrade to?

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by lewis896, Oct 8, 2007.

1. lewis896

lewis896 Member

I've put my PSP down for a couple of months (been busy) and now I come back to the forums and people are talking about much higher version firmwares. I have 3.03 OE-C and really don't want to touch it b/c it works perfectly (I play a PS1 game on it as well) but it looks like it's outdated.

What should I do?

Thanks,
    Mark

2. Hacker06

Hacker06 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2007
  3. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I wouldn't update to 3.40 OE-A then 3.52 M33-4.

Your better to recover back to 1.50 then update to 3.52 M33-4

Below is a guide you can follow...

First off make sure your PSP is plugged in to the AC Adapter. Keep your PSP plugged in the whole time you are doing these steps.

The PSP also needs to have a battery charge level of 75% or higher. To check the Battery level go to your system settings then battery information. It will give you the % level there. If it is lower then 75% turn off the PSP and let it charge till it is over 75% (I would recomend charging it to 100$)

Now it is time to downgrade to 1.50

Format your memory Stick using PSP system settings.

Download this RECOVERY file.

Extract the file which will extract a RECOVERY folder. Now connect the PSP to PC via USB. Place the RECOVERY folder in the /PSP/GAME folder of the PSP Memory Stick.

Now go to recovery menu.

Do this by turning off the PSP. Hold the power button up till the power led turns off. Now hold the R shoulder button down and keep it down while turning the PSP on.

The Recovery menu should come up. When it does select the option "RUN PROGRAM AT /PSP/GAME/RECOVERY/EBOOT.PBP follow the on screen instructions and it will downgrade your PSP back to 1.50 firmware (After it downgrades you might get a blue screen with a bunch of text. If you get this screen just hit O and the PSP will reboot and you will need to enter your settings).

Go to the System Settings then system information and make sure it says 1.50 before continuing below.

If it says 1.50 then you can start the steps below. If it doesn't then you did something incorrect so try the steps above again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time to update to 3.52 M33 then 3.52 M33-4

Format the Memory Stick using system settings.

Download the 3.52 M33 CFW linked below. (I have placed all needed files in this download)

3.52 M33 HERE

Extract the file which will extract a UPGRADE_FILES folder. Inside this folder is kxploitpatcher, kxploitpatcher% and M33CREATOR.

Copy the M33CREATOR, kxploitpatcher and kxploitpatcher% folders to the PSP/GAME folder.

Go to Game Menu Memory Stick and run the KXploit Permanent Patcher (There will be a corrupt data file also here but ignore it because It is normal). It should run and say patched successfully and reboot back to the XMB(PSP menu).

Now go to game Menu Memory Stick and run the M33CREATOR.

When you run the M33CREATOR it will show parsing 150 writing 150 then parsing 352 writing 352 something like that. When it is done it should reboot back to the XMB.

Now go to Game Menu Memory Stick and run the 3.52 M33 UPDATE that the M33CREATOR created. It will flash the files to the PSP when it is finished it will say press X to shutdown. Go ahead and press X after the PSP turns off turn it back on and go to system settings then system information and check to see if your at 3.52 M33 firmware. If you are then do the below steps. If you are not then you did something wrong and need to redo the steps above.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your at 3.52 M33 reformat the Memory Stick again.

Download the below 3.52 M33-4 update.

3.52 M33-4 HERE

Now extract the 3.52 M33-4 update.

Drag the PSP folder that is in the M33-4 update you just extracted, into the root of the Memory Stick (Don't confuse the MP_ROOT as the root of the Memory Stick. The root is the directory that has the ISO/MP_ROOT/PSP folder).

If you do it correctly it should ask to overwrite files. Choose YES TO ALL when it does. If it doesn't ask to overwrite files then you did it wrong. Format the memory Stick again and drag the PSP folder over to the root till it ask to overwrite.

If it asks to overwrite then you can proceed to the Game Menu Memory Stick and run the M33-4 update. This will only take a few seconds to do. When it is done it will say press X to shut down. When it shuts down turn the PSP back on and go to system settings then system information and check to see if it says 3.52 M33-4.

If it doesn't say that then redo the steps above again. If it does say it then reformat the Memory Stick 1 more time.

You are now updated to 3.52 M33-4

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  4. lewis896

lewis896 Member

Wow, I really appreciate it. I'll be honest, I'm updating b/c I'm trying to play Madden 08 and it no likey 3.03 OE-C.

Question: Will I still be able to play Tekken 3 (PS1 game)? Do I just set it up in the same folder as it has always been?

5. Hacker06

Hacker06 Guest

official sony download or iso if its iso put it on the iso folder wich is in the root of your memory stick

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2007
  6. lewis896

lewis896 Member

Nah, I actually ripped it off of the PSX disc. Still good to go?

7. Hacker06

Hacker06 Guest

i think so... never delt with psx games. try it how you would regulary put it

8. lewis896

lewis896 Member

Roger that. Thanks again for your time.

9. lewis896

lewis896 Member

Ok I ran the RUN PROGRAM AT /PSP/GAME/RECOVERY/EBOOT.PBP and the PSP immediately went black. It's not doing anything now--is it bricked??

Sh!t.

10. Rav3

Rav3 Regular member

To test if it is bricked, turn the psp unit off completely. Now turn it back on, if u see the green power light, but nothing appears on the screen, yes, it is bricked. If it reaches the SCE logo and then turns black and freezes, you have semi bricked. If u can still access recovery mode (turn off your psp unit completely and then turn it back on while holding the r trigger) then it is only semi bricked, and if u have a copy of the flash files, u can restore the psp.

If it is bricked, Pandora's Battery is the way to go :)

Oh and 3.03 OE-C is SEVERELY outdated. You won't be able to play games which are being released in 08 as they have higher FW requirements. I recommend at least 3.52 m33-4 (a very good CFW, less bugs of OE FW AND can run new UMD games) or 3.71 m33-2 with 1.5 kernel addon

11. lewis896

lewis896 Member

Nevermind, I got it. My zip program (jzip) doesn't include folders when it extracts files. So when I extracted the recovery program, it just extracted the files, but not into a "RECOVERY" folder.

So all I did was create a RECOVERY folder and then extract the files into that folder. I had to do it for the M33 files as well. No biggie, I got it back.

When I initially ran the recovery program though, the whole thing went blank and wouldn't respond to the power switch. But I unplugged the power cable and tried again and the damn thing turned on!

Dumb luck.

I'm upgrading now...

12. Rav3

Rav3 Regular member

lol well u should be more careful in the future when dealing with firmware updates. Worst case scenario is that u brick mid-way through an update!

13. kikzm33z

kikzm33z Regular member

why can't you do a simple flash from 3.03oe-c to 3.52m33-4?why re-flash it to 1.5 or even more confused, why upgrade to 3.40oe-a then 3.52m33-4!?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  14. larrylje

larrylje Active member

There have been allot of members that have had issues going from an OE version to M33 version. Which they end up recovering to 1.50 and back up to M33 again anyway.

I know it says you can go from an OE version to M33 but I just suggest going back to 1.50 then up to M33. If it saves time in the long run for those that might have issues when going from an OE to M33 then why not just suggest recovering to 1.50 to start with.

It isn't adding much to the process so why not just do it. Anyone has the choice to go straight from an OE version to M33 version but I recommend recovering to 1.50 then up to M33 version.

15. kikzm33z

kikzm33z Regular member

i see...thanks for replying :).i've learned another new thing today!:p

16. lewis896

lewis896 Member

It worked out well the way I did it.

In recovery mode for M33-4, I see that you can a rebootable program that looks like it takes you back to 1.50.. Is that what that is? If so, that's awesome. It looks like if you're ever having problems you can automatically reflash to 1.50 and start from scratch.

Am I right?

17. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You recover back to 1.50 by using the same RECOVERY folder that I linked above and use the same step. RUN PROGRAM AT /PSP/GAME/RECOVERY/EBOOT.PBP

18. lewis896

lewis896 Member

Yea, but is the bootable program that's in recovery mode on my PSP ALREADY the same thing? Or do you have to re-download the link that you sent?

19. lewis896

lewis896 Member

In other words, right now, in M33-4, if I go to recovery mode and select the 3rd option down, (which is: Run program at /PSP/GAME/RECOVERY/EBOOT.PBP) will it automatically recover back to 1.50?

20. larrylje

larrylje Active member

It will if you have the RECOVERY folder in the /PSP/GAME folder.