1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i have a acer aspire 5050,need help

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by spennin, Mar 23, 2007.

1. spennin

spennin Member

hey everyone,

i am new here.and have some ?s.
    i just brought a acer aspire 5050 and it says it will copy dvds.and i was wondering how and what dvds to use.i tried dvd +r and dvd-r and no luck.how do i find out what dvds my laptop is compatable with.and how do i copy or back up my dvds.my laptop comes with nti cd and dvd maker.

thanks in advanced

2. spennin

spennin Member

i checked my driver and it says i have a pioneer dvd-rw dvr-k17rs ata devise if that helps

3. spennin

spennin Member

when i put the dvd into the drive and i put the files in the folder like it says i click burn and the drive opens nd then i put the dvd+r in and then it says cant locate files or some crap.and im using nti cd and dvd-maker 7.

am i doing something wrong

4. spennin

spennin Member

any 1.

i need help.

5. Tadfie

Tadfie Member

Heya!
    You will need to provide more details if you expect an answer. i.e. noone cares about the brand of your dvds, but more info about your os and the driver for you dvd drive could help!
    Also,
    is not helping... what does it say exactly? does it say that before or after beginning the burning process?
    You should be able to ask the software for debugging information also. It should contain all the information needed. Believe me, you WANT to tell us about it.
    Now, here is what you need to do:
    Try to burn a dvd in test mode (i.e. without actually writing on the medium. You will save a dvd!) and tell exactly and precisely what happens. INCLUDE THE EXACT OUTPUT as well as the debugging info.

Anyway, I also got an Aspire 5050 very recently and there seems to be a problem with the recognition of the CD-DVD drive... did not try to burn yet, but my OSes got trouble to find the codecs for the drive... reading goes smoothly anyhow. This post may be the occasion to solve the problem before I really need to burn anything.

6. Tadfie

Tadfie Member

Sorry, just re-read your posts and I understood that you actually burnt the dvd, but you can't read it afterwards. Is that correct?
    If so, the problem is probably not with your burning software and is more likely a problem with the driver. Did you get an error message during the burning process? If not, the debugging output from the software will be helpless I guess. Include it all the same, never know...
    You should also include detailed info about your driver and your hardware (processor, CD-DVD drive,...). Include the info you can get from your OS AND the actual identification of your DVD drive (guess you can find this in the docs you got with your laptop). The drive may not be detected correctly, which could lead to the use of the wrong driver, thus explaining the problem.

All this, assuming you don't have problems reading DVDs. Check that. It would be a shame to spend hours on this problem just because of dust on the lens, I guess.

Also, did you try to burn CDs? did it work?

PS don't forget to tell precisely what OS you're using! (version, revisions, patches, ...)

7. spennin

spennin Member

i am using windows vista,and when i take the file and put it in the folder it tells me to,then i put in the dvd+r and press burn,and it says the sourse file E;video_ts\video_ts.bup"is not found.would you like to deletes it from layout

8. Tadfie

Tadfie Member

OK, I know what is your problem. It's much, much more simple than everything I could have thought of. The solution IS included in your software documentation, which I don't have time to find and read in your place.
    You're just trying to copy a movie DVD, not to copy or burn a data DVD. That's not the same thing at all, as some of the files are actually created at reading time. You can't just drag and drop stuff like that, as it was regular data. You have to make an exact copy of the binary data on the DVD.
    Just select the right option (something like "clone", or "raw copy" or something equivalent, depending on your burning soft. Again, READ THE F*CKING DOC).
    If you're trying to copy a protected DVD (This is probably the case if it's less than 5-10 years old), you'll also need the proper library. It will probably be more simple for you to use a software dedicated to this end, should be easy to find on the web (try Googling clonedvd or something like that), though I do not know if you can find one for Vista for free.

PS Next time you want to perform illegal copies of protected stuff, try to figure out how to do by yourself ;-). Plus, the solution of your problem IS DEFINITELY included in your software's documentation. Read it for more detail (i.e. where can I find the proper option,...)

9. Tadfie

Tadfie Member

There is something else you need to know. The drag 'n drop technique would not have worked with a data DVD either, because, when you "take" the files from the explorer window showing the content of the DVD and "put" them in the burning soft window, all you do is telling the soft where it can find the files. Then, when you change the DVD for a blank one and ask the soft to burn the data, it will try to take the data from the dvd to burn them. This obviously can't work. You need either to specify that you want to copy a DVD (the software will ask you, sequencially, for both the original DVD and the blank one, and will copy the data temporarily on your hard drive) or to first manually copy the data of interest on your hard drive, then insert a blank medium, open the burning soft and burn the stuff.

PS when asking for some info on a forum, try to avoid requests like:
    "I got a computer and then I put the stuff in the thinggy and then it didn't work and said that it went wrong or some crap and how can I do I really need the stuff and please help me"
    It REALLY doesn't help. Someone will take time to try and figure out what your problem is, you can respect them enough to take a little time and use correct English, precise words and, most important, real output from the machine. I could have answered you in 2 minutes if you had precisely described your problem at first. Thanks in advance, on behalf of everyone that will deal with you in such forums in the future.

10. Tadfie

Tadfie Member

PPS definitely not a complete newbie, and wizard means nothing to me. If you want the Amulet of Yendor, just come and try to get it! ;-)
    Here is the signature I usually show when coming out of my lair (which is rare since the Internet was filled by jerks, i.e. a few decades ago).
    Behave, I'm watching you!

11. Tadfie

Tadfie Member

ppps
    There is no shame saying you're new at computers in general. You should do that as that's obviously the case. That's where everyone began and it can help people who try to help you. I mean, no one could imagine that you tried to drag 'n drop from and to a single drive, as an example. You don't have to be ashamed about that, just say it and it will save LOADS of time.

If it can be of any interest to you, I just got the very same system as you. I did not have any problem, though this is indeed a cheap system. I personally run 3 different OSes on it (including the provided Win Vista Home Premium, the same as you use I guess) so you can always ask me if you've got trouble, provided you tell me exactly what you did (step by step, including the expected result and what you got instead). I do not actually use Vista so much, so do not expect a very quick answer on specific Vista-related issues. Anyway, you can just ask and I'll tel you if it's specific to Vista!
    Also, I've got a life AND a job, so...
    Good luck, speak soon!

12. sharayu

sharayu Member

Hi,

I bought an Acer Aspire 5050 recently and I too seem to be having a problem with my DVD RW optical drive. I get the message "Illegal Request" whenever I attempt to write to a DVD disk. I have Windows Vista Home Premium and my DVD drive is a Pioneer K17RS.

I have tried using the Windows Vista 'send to DVD drive' command and also tried to burn using NTI CD & DVD maker. The error is the same. I can read and write CDs and also play DVD movies on the drive.
    I have checked the firmware and appear to have the latest version.

When I called the Acer helpline they said it was an OS problem and could be fixed when the patch was released. But there is no info about such problems on the MS website.

Please help!

Thanks
    Sharayu

13. selenaaa

selenaaa Guest

i got hit by lightning for spamming this fine site. i am now a crispy critter!!! edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2007
  14. Tadfie

Tadfie Member

Can you give more details about what you did exactly? I have the same system(though i do not use Vista so much) and all is OK.
    btw the "send to dvd drive" feature is not really a command. More like a shortcut to the embedded burning app. And my guess would be that the acer hotline said it was an OS problem only so that they will not have to deal with it. (but still, win... doze...).

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  15. spennin

spennin Member

hello,

sorry it took so long to get back.i will try it again tommorrow and let you know step by step what i did,and what it says.

thanks for the help

16. sharayu

sharayu Member

Hi,

Thanks for replying. Well, I have an update too. I took the laptop down to the Comet store where I had purchased it from, and the guy there did something and it worked just fine in the store. I wrote some three DVDs (+RW) and also tried erasing them. Everything worked fine in the store.

But once I got it home, I can't seem to erase any DVD RWs. I can write data, though it is quite erratic...I get an error sometimes, other times I don't. But I cannot erase any DVD.

My thought was that there was something wrong with the disks I was using. But I took them to a friend's place and erased them on his laptop.

Again I am totally confused. What is it that you would like to know?

I had earlier tried writing the disks using the Windows built-in shortcut and using NTI CD & DVD maker. Both attempts did not work earlier. But now I can write data occasionally.

Regards

17. Tadfie

Tadfie Member

Sorry for this late answer.
    If you're doing the same each time, and sometimes it works and sometimes not, it's probably a problem with your disks or with the optical drive itself...
    Did you try another brand of DVDs? I found that the optical drive on my machine is a bit picky... it doesn't want to burn properly the DVDs I have at work, though they are used on our work machines and work OK.
    All the other brands seem to work fine though. Were the DVDs you used in the store the same that you used at home?
    About the erasing... some DVDs bear the logo DVD-RW only because they can be used in DVD-RW compatible drive, and are not actually rewritable. This is misleading and should be considered as fraud, but...
    So you may want to check that. If you're using non-rewritable DVDs, it would explain why you cannot erase them. And some software will allow you to "erase" them anyway, only by modifying the "table of content", without actually erasing the data. Which could be what happened on your friend's laptop.
    Check that and tell me!
    Best regards