1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a choice, help me make it

Discussion in 'PS2' started by xangma, Jun 5, 2007.

1. xangma

xangma Member

To be straight to the point, I want a PS2 that can do as much as possible, but most of all, play backup DVDs as I buy preowned ones that are scratched up already.

At the moment, I have a slimline PS2 of Model number 75003. I have the choice to get an old PS2 of model number 39003 instead.

Which PS2 would be better?

The old one has been around like 3 years and the new one was preowned.
    Which will last longer?
    Which will cost the least to mod/get what I want it to do?

Thanks for your time =)

2. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

The old fat PS2 any day. I'm quite disappointed with the new slimline PS2. I have a silver slim v15 PS2 and have been playing it for no more than an hour or two each time, and I break between each next consecutive play through with at least an hour of rest because of worries with overheating and not enough ventilation with the slim PS2. Plus, I'm disheartened by the compatibility issues of playing certain PSX games on my slim PS2 like freezes after half an hour playing Thousand Arms on it. The slim PS2s have horrible overheating issues when playing for a short span of time although all this complaining might just be me and my own personal experience with the slim PS2 I luckily have of course, but I can manage; however, seriously, the slim PS2 is practically new when I bought it (a few months back), and I have to treat it like it's as old as my old fat PS2, which is like 6 years or so old.

The slim PS2's laser I doubt will last too long the way mine is going. By the way, for your information, I've been playing my originals like Dragon Quest 8, Valkyrie Profile Silmeria, Star Ocean: Til the End of Time and some imports like Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix+ and Tales of Destiny including some very unlikely burnt games which are undub versions of Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Legendia, all burnt on 8x Taiyo Yuden DVD+Rs (TYG02). The general consensus is to use DVD-Rs for your burnt PS2 games but my system simply refuses to even read and boot-up a DVD-R so I've been using DVD+Rs ever since.

I highly recommend modding your old fat PS2 since I also plan to salvage my old dying fat PS2 lying around but still functional to say the least because with what I've seen and tried, the fat PS2 has its PSX game list compatibility top-notch, you can go through long playtimes without noticing any hitches or problems unlike playing on the slim PS2 where those problems are very keen and apparent through my eyes and the cooling system and its ventilation for my fat PS2 is infinitely better than my slim PS2 where it takes several hours to actually cool down compared to my fat PS2 where it can do so for an easy 15 minutes to an hour tops. If you're worried about modding your old PS2, fearing it will not last long, you could always do a simple laser replacement to revitalize it of course along with buying any other parts to replace your worn out/old PS2 parts like its fan or drive tray.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  3. xangma

xangma Member

Quite an informing post. Cheers.

Ok sounds good then. Well what would be the cheapest but best mod to do to it?

4. nakamura

nakamura Member

That's what I want to know, and mine's chunky.

5. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Oops, sorry about the delay in response xangma. To answer your question, it really depends on you. Swap Magic is the most easiest and cheapest alternative if you want to play backed-up games or imports mainly for that matter like me. Swap Magic, if you live in the US, is about 30 dollars. Whether you buy the magic keys or not, either way, you need something to help close/cover the sensors of your PS2 from not knowing you have opened the cover or tray depending on what PS2 you are using. You can do a tissue and tape mod, another cheap alternative rather then trying to install the magic keys which people have had mixed troubles in installing because of one mere key, honestly. I'm not even exaggerating. For the tissue mod, you can check here. If you want to buy a Swap Magic disc set, you could check out various sites from swapmagic3.com to see listings on numerous locations or ask around here where you can buy them from the region you're in. I personally bought mind from allmodchip.com if you're curious.

Although the one thing that could be extremely annoying about using Swap Magic is that it cannot boot about 1~5% of the PS2 games out there because of compatibility issues, some games require rebuilding like the God of War games or certain games like Sonic where you need to remove the dummy file.

Getting a mod-chip professionally installed can save you a lot of the hassles I didn't mention when using Swap Magic. Although the price tag can be around 100 dollars including buying the mod-chip, sending your PS2 to getting chipped and getting it professionally done, it can be well worth the investment merely because of the convenience it provides. If you're impatient with swapping discs each time before you play, then having a mod-chip can eliminate that task. You can check out Tokujin's thread located in the PS2 Hardware Discussion section or here if you can find it.