1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a flip top but want a proper mod now.......

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by stuart72, Sep 18, 2004.

1. stuart72

stuart72 Member

I have made another post in the CD backup section but its not getting much feedback and i have made progress since then.

Basically i have a flip top but now want a proper mod. Im looking at Magic 3.1 which i have found for very cheap. I think magic V is only for non PAL am i right?

Anyway is that chip good enough?

All i use my ps2 for is games. I really dont care much about whether it can run dvd films and such like. All i care about is it can run all games with direct boot.

PS - my ps2 was bought near launch and i think its a version 4 if that matters.

2. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

the magic 3.1 is a very old chip but works well in the early consoles, the magic v is for both ntsc and pal consoles but not realy for v4 consoles,you might also consider the duo2 mod chip (less wires to install than the magic 3.1)

3. stuart72

stuart72 Member

Well i am not sure if its all that important how many wires there are because i would be getting an expert to fit it.

As i so all i care about is it will be able to run killzone, GTA : SA, Smackdown v Raw, Metal Gear, GT etc without any probs.

It also needs to be able to run cdr's well because I play patched pro evolution soccer to get real kits etc but i suppose i could just patch on pc version instead if need be

4. stuart72

stuart72 Member

5. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

6. stuart72

stuart72 Member

I cant see shipping option on the site for uk :-(.

7. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

i know that they ship to the uk as i was looking into buying a duo2 myself and e-mailed them to ask if they shipped to the uk, here a copy of the responce i got from them
    Hi,
    sure. No problem at all. Some items we ship from Europe some directly from Thailand. Helfried

try sending them an e-mail and ask how to order for uk delivery, there a e-mail link on the bottom of there page

8. stuart72

stuart72 Member

Oh ok.

I think i have a good idea about how to get someone to fit it and where to buy it at the same time though.

Chips are illegal in the UK but not in Ireland and there are Irish sites saying that i could send my ps2 there and they will chip it.

I have sent an email to find out about costs etc and will see what they say.

One thing for sure though is i MUST get my ps2 chipped because with games like MGS, GTA etc you just cant use swap magic because your just desperate to play them and dont want to spend five minuted getting them going.

What about playing games online, do those patches work and are they easy to apply?

9. stuart72

stuart72 Member

The only problem could be the fact that i have my flip top and that i had to rmeove things like screws and the hub etc.

Will i need to send all that stuff as well?

10. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

can't realy help you with online gaming as i use my orignals for online play and have never tried to patch a backup for playing online

11. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

just leave the fliptop on it won't make any difference to how the mod chip works and gives easier access to the laser for cleaning

12. stuart72

stuart72 Member

Thanks.

An irish site says if i send my ps2 with parcel force or whatever they will fit a DUO 2 SE chip for 85 Euros (approx £57) and send it back postage included.

A good deal?

Alternatively someone would fit a DSM 3 chip for me for £70 but i would have to pay for postage and i really doubt i need the features it has.

13. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

you might actually want to consider the DMS3 because lots of people experienced problems with their modchips after the Socom II patch was released. with chips like the matrix infinity and DMS3 they can be updated with new firmware so new anti-piracy technology will never make the chip obsolete.

14. stuart72

stuart72 Member

But i cant do any of that i need an expert to fit it so i wouldn't take advantage of those features.