1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hope this is the right forum...I need help with a game

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by nlm1976, Jan 15, 2007.

1. nlm1976

nlm1976 Member

I just bought my daughter a new game for our PC. It's called Dora the Explorer World Adventure. I can't get it to work. I installed it, everything seemed fine but when we try to run the program to play it, the game logo pops up and then I get a blank, white box in the top right hand corner and nothing happens. We let it sit there for a long time thinking it was loading or something and it just never changes. I pushed Ctrl, Alt, Delete to see what was going on and it said "Running" so it seemed to be trying to work. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it and shutting down and restarting between each action but I'm getting no results. Do I just have a defective CD-Rom or is there something I'm not doing right? Our PC meets all the requirements and I'm putting the CD into the tray to play. Also, I've tried both the autoinstall and manually installing it and neither has giving any result. Please help...any info is appreaciated!!

2. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

3. nlm1976

nlm1976 Member

I installed DirectX but it's not helping. How do I check the videocard hardware???

4. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Downloadd Everest : http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?ps=UE&lang=en *trial version, all functions work though* and check your video hardware and and software under display>GPU.
    If your hardware is supported, it will even have a link for your hardware manufacturer's driver dowload page.
    Hope this helps a bit.

5. nlm1976

nlm1976 Member

Thank you guys so much for your help. I hope I don't sound too dumb here, but I've installed Everest but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for or what to do next. I've never done anything like this before, it's completely new. Here's the info I get from Everest under the GPU section...

Graphics Processor Properties
    Video Adapter Intel 82865GV Graphics Controller [A-2]
    GPU Code Name Springdale-G
    PCI Device 8086-2572 / 1028-019D
    Bus Type Integrated
    GPU Clock 266 MHz
    RAMDAC Clock 350 MHz
    Pixel Pipelines 1
    TMU Per Pipeline 2
    Vertex Shaders 1 (v1.1)
    Pixel Shaders Not Supported
    DirectX Hardware Support DirectX v7.0
    Pixel Fillrate 266 MPixel/s
    Texel Fillrate [ TRIAL VERSION ]

Graphics Processor Manufacturer
    Company Name Intel Corporation
    Product Information http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets
    Driver Download http://support.intel.com/support/graphics
    Driver Update http://driveragent.com?ref=59

6. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Another suggestion, try tech support for the game from the manufacturer of the game.
    I've looked at your info but can't make heads or tails from it what card you are using, the Fiend should be able to help you better than I can at this point.
    this game is not very demanding as far as system requirements, I don't see why it shouldn't run unless your graphics card can't handle directX 9.0 or higher which I doubt is the problem.
    Go ahead and click on the update link you mention and see if that helps.

7. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Ok, i'm busy today, so here's a quick response.
    Blivet, look closely at his results, everest tells us his system only supports directx 7 :
    So your video hardware basically is too old.
    Blivet can probably advise you on the best course of action here, i have to get to work.
    Good luck either way.

8. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Yeah, I saw that, but assumed it was due to the age of the videocard, figured once he updates his video driver, the game should work with directx9.0C. My kid has a video card from like 1999 which handles games similar in nature (16MB Nvidiacard) So for me this is a learning curve as well.
    Check with tech support if the video card update doesn't work.
    Windows update will also show if you have newer drivers for the video card. Unless I'm sadly mistaken this is where the problem lies. If I'm wrong, then pelt me with 1000 nuts from an enraged squirrel.

9. nlm1976

nlm1976 Member

I clicked the link, did a scan but it requires me to pay $29.95 to update the driver and I'm not going to do that just for one game.
    I didn't have DirectX at all and downloaded it based on the original response and used the link provided...so whatever is on my machine is what it gave me.
    I also did a Windows Update but it didn't suggest any update for my video driver.
    I can't believe that something on my system is too old to run a simple child's game...my computer is only a year old!
    I am to the point where I'm just ready to take the stupid game back. I can't get it to work and I can't figure out how to fix whatever I have to to get it to work. It's very frustrating! I know you guys are trying to help and I appreciate it SOOO much...but I just can't seem to figure it out.

10. nlm1976

nlm1976 Member

BTW...I did send a message to the support email address on the booklet included with the game but I have yet to receive a response so that's why I turned to this forum. In my experience the support for these games is worthless anything...they'll give me some kind of scripted response that I'm sure won't have anything to do with my question and won't help me at all. Support for these things are a joke!

11. nlm1976

nlm1976 Member

I did a search to find out info about DirectX and found a way to find out what I have. I did this and it says I have 9.0 unless I am misunderstanding.

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 1/17/2007, 11:36:41
    Machine name: (I deleted this for security reasons)
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
    System Model: Dimension 3000
    BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A02
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
    Memory: 510MB RAM
    Page File: 517MB used, 985MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

So I think you guys are right, it has something to do with my video driver but I have no idea how to fix that.

12. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

You should click the second link *the one that says driver download* and manually search for the update.
    Everest has given you all the data on your video card, so finding the right drivers shouldn't be too hard.

13. nlm1976

nlm1976 Member

You say that it shouldn't be too hard but you don't understand that I'm completely clueless about this whole thing....so for me it is hard. I don't want to screw anything up.
    Thanks for your help...I really appreciate your efforts.

14. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  15. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member