1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just got a wii key and now my DVD drive is really loud

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by happyloaf, Feb 2, 2008.

1. happyloaf

happyloaf Member

I got a wii key installed this afternoon and my US-NTSC system's DVD drive is going nuts. It is at least 2x as loud as it was in the past. When the guy installed the 1.9g update the speed of the drive was 6x. Can someone please help me and or tell me if this is normal?

2. Evi1d33d

Evi1d33d Member

I think 6X speed is faster than normal.

3. happyloaf

happyloaf Member

Do you know where I can get the software for the wii key so I can change the setting? I did not get a disk.

4. brido84

brido84 Regular member

Yeah mate here on rafadawns thread, read through the lot of the first post it will stand you in good stead.

5. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

mines set at 6x
    no noise

maybe the wii is struggling reading the brand of dvds u r using

try different brand - i use maxell

6. happyloaf

happyloaf Member

It is even doing it with the regular games (I paid for). How do I change the speed? I have the 1.9g disk

7. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

does paid for mean original games?

if not then still try new brands of dvd

if you still want to change drive speed u will need config 1.3 disc
    if your wii is updated to 3.0 and later you will need to use the hacked version of config 1.3 as nintendo put a block on the genuine config 1.3 disc id

search in here for hacked config 1.3 - or look in firmware sticky post by rafadawn

8. emf_1978

emf_1978 Member

You'll need to change the setting with the 1.3 config disc. the 1.9g is the firmware update.

9. happyloaf

happyloaf Member

I downloaded the hacked 1.3 disc and try to run it and get to a screen that says wiikey base v1.2 console region: ukn please insert the wiikey base disc! press any key to contine

What is going on? How do I fix this and get the config to run?

10. Kev96

Kev96 Member

I have the same problem....when i put an original disc or copied disc there is a loud sound...I tried using the config 1.3 to lower the speed to 3X (which is the lowest you can lower it to) and there is still a bit of noise...does anyone know where to find 1.9g wii key disc link or something?? Wiikey.cn doesn't work!

11. happyloaf

happyloaf Member

You can get the link of a sticky at the top of the page. Yeah even at 3x it is LOUD. I hope I'm not damaging it....

12. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

are the paid for games originals or not?

if not try copying them onto a different brand of dvd

13. happyloaf

happyloaf Member

Currently all I have are real games. I have not burned any yet.

14. Oxadillia

Oxadillia Guest

Thats quite worrying. I would suggest laying off playing anything on the Wii for a while, just in case you are straining/damaging the laser, which could shorten its life.

As mentioned above this is typical to DVD-R brands like Sony or Verbatim, but for this to happen with originals? You should try and take this to Wiikey. If their product is damaging your Wii, they need to know about it.

15. happyloaf

happyloaf Member

How do I contact wii key? It doesn't seem to be scratching discs but yeah it is worrying. Wish I didn't put in the chip now.

16. happyloaf

happyloaf Member

So I took it back to the guy who modded it and he took it apart. On the top of the disc drive there is a metal ring thing that can be pushed down or up and mine is too tight. Heavy discs (originals) make a lot of noise but other discs like sony apparently do not. He has no clue how to fix this. He called it the mechanism? Does anyone have any suggestions.

In all fairness he is going above and beyond. He he is going to try and repair it by using another mechanism

17. Oxadillia

Oxadillia Guest

I have never heard anything like this at all in my entire time on the Wii scene, however if its true this could really help a lot of people who also seem to be having trouble.

Where abouts was this disc by the way? I've opened my Wii up before and noticed no such ring (but it may have been me being unobservant).

Also, with such a broad name like "mechanism," it implies that this guy doesn't know too much about it...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2008
  18. happyloaf

happyloaf Member

If you can point me an overhead shot of the DVD drive I can put an arrow on it to show you what I am talking about. But if you open it up you will see a ring like thing in the center that is a whitish plastic and metal ring that moves up and down when pressed. If you apply light pressure on mine with a nintendo disc then it quiets down. If you do not press it then it gets loud again.

I did play with about 10 other busted drives and they all have various tensions moving up and down and mine was really easy to move.

Once again if someone could point me to a picture of an optical drive I can try and post it after putting in an arrow.

19. happyloaf

happyloaf Member

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  20. Oxadillia

Oxadillia Guest

Judging from the way that looks, this guys claims could be correct. I can't tell if its too tight or not, but if it was it would seem logical that more noise would come about.

The question is how does he know how to fix it (and install another one) if he knows nothing about it?

This seems like quite a delicate and dangerous procedure so make sure he's careful with it.

Also why does the ring move up and down?